Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Penny Tray,been missing your posts,hope your well?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Sam, I'm fine thanks, but top marks for observations. I have been posting but have laid off this topic for the time being.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

glad to hear your OK,Sam
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
May 7, 1886

Accident

An accident, which might have been attended with serious consequences, occurred in Glasgow Street on Monday afternoon to a young boy named Bobbie Guthrie. A large iron casting was being conveyed on two carts to the new bridge being erected over Glasgow Street. Two or three little fellows tried to swing on to the concern, a few yards before the hindmost cart, when this little one was knocked over-the wheel passing over his boot, crushing it badly. One of his legs was also injured. A good Samaritan carried the boy to his home, and had him attended to. The three men in charge of the carts, it seems, were all forward at the foremost cart, holding down the trams. Some one should have been at the rear of the cart.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Where is/was the bridge over Glasgow Street?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Robert Cook wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:13 pm Where is/was the bridge over Glasgow Street?
Think it is up at the Palazzo - the old railway runs under Glasgow Street.

Meg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

It’s over the old Calais railway line you are correct Meg
huey1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huey1 »

there's a nice little incline at that spot and I remember on a heavy frost day we would make big long slides ,we'd keep sliding and sliding ,the slide would get longer and longer or so it seemed!!!!
huey1 :D
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald & Ayrshire Gazette
May 27, 1949
On The Waterfront

It often happens that a visit to the local Police Court on a Monday supplies an indication of the nature of shipping in the harbour. Such an indication was given this week when the names of three seamen were called-and, as usual, were not answered. Still, it was the names that mattered, and these being Armas Tuull, Leif Nordling and Karlos Golsavos you will see what I mean.

The 'Lady Killarney' made her first call of the new season on Saturday, outward bound on a 7 day Western Isles cruise. She carried a full complement of passengers many of whom took the opportunity offered by the necessary stop for fuel to wander around the town.

The 'Glen Sannox' made the double trip to and from Arran on Monday and carried a fair number of passengers, daytrippers for the most part. It being a Glasgow holiday, many people probably made the trip in search of digs for the annual holiday.

Then to show that summer is really on the way sailings to the Isle of Man start next Friday, and with the Lairds Isle due to make her bow on June 19th, there looms the possibility that your waterfront reporter will, for a spell at least, be able to relegate scrap metal from its position as number one theme.

Mention of the Laird's Isle brings to mind a guy that for years has spent much of his time during the summer seeing to it that the ship was well and truly bunkered. This year he decided to make the trip himself and and so with accommodation for self and wife booked in Dublin, nothing remained but the procuring of sailing tickets.

But the size of the queue at the Burns-Laird office on Saturday morning was significant. Much sweat was lost and not all of it by a long way due to the sun but Kenny got his tickets! (There, and I wasn't supposed to mention that name).
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald & Ayrshire Gazette
June 6, 1947

Getting around and About - with Coaster

I had a look into the Castlecraigs on Tuesday to see the nearly ready exhibition. To one who has seen dozens (maybe hundreds) of exhibitions and walked sadly round them all, it seems a modest sort of affair. But it will interest many. The old-timers will talk about the Hudson Bay Company's stall while the youngsters will be sure to be interested in the models, especially those of the old Burns boats.

When I came out I was invited into the Old Age Pensioners hut at the "Craigs" to see the comfort which has been afforded them by the Town Council in their new premises which, by the way, they hope to get decorated after the exhibition is finished. Among the decorations are a number of pictures supplied by Mrs Lewis who may I am informed, vacating the Auld Hoose soon.

[From what I recall I think the black Nissan hut below was the premises mentioned. Or was it the tennis club's. Hughie]
Attachments
Pensioners hut Ardrossan.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Aberdeen Evening Express
July 1, 1942

Smallpox In Ardrossan

One woman has died from smallpox in Glasgow, bringing the total to three deaths. The two other fatal cases involved members of the crew of the ship on which the outbreak was first discovered. Smallpox has now spread to the Clyde coast town of Ardrossan where one case, a woman, was reported this morning. She was at once removed to hospital in Glasgow and all precautions were taken to deal with possible contacts.

22 Patients
There are now twenty-two patients in hospital in Glasgow, and two of these are seriously ill. There has been a rush on the part of the general public toIday for vaccination at the twenty-five clinics which have been opened in various parts of the city. The Department of Health for Scotland has circulated Scottish Local Authorities advising them to take all safeguards that may be deemed necessary.

Precautions
They do not advise meantime a national campaign for vaccination in Scotland, but they suggest that as a precautionary measure vaccination should be afforded to all staffs of institutions which may admit undiagnosed cases ultimately found to be smallpox and that similar all protection should be given to all staff of local authority and voluntary Hospitals.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I remember my dad talking about this Hughie. He was what would be called today, an anti vaxxer- but my mum made the whole family go and get vaccinated at the pop up clinic at the Castle Craigs. I had to get all my injections/vaccinations as an adult - except smallpox - we needed the certificate to go on holiday to Spain in the early 60s - so we all tripped off to Dr Leahy to get vaccinated and to issue the paperwork - he charged a guinea for the service! Wasn’t covered on NHS.