Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

bonzo and Bruce. What is the advice regarding cycling during the virus outbreak?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was out yesterday and today, will write them up tomorrow (a little drunk noo)just now exercise is allowed.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Looking forward . :puter
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Advice is like any other activity - physical distancing, and be sensible.

British Cycling and CyclingUK have cancelled all of their organised events, and cycling clubs have cancelled “club runs” - so you shouldn’t see large groups of cyclists on the road. But the general feeling is that solo or cycling in pairs is still OK.

Of course, people will flout the rules, and that may result in more draconian measures being put in place. Italy and Portugal have banned all recreational cycling/running/whatever, simply because so many people were flouting the “be sensible” rules.

In the same vein, pubs and restaurants were advised to close on Friday. Most followed that advice. But at least one local hostelry apparently ignored the advice, saying “the beer will go off if we close, might as well make a quick buck, all draft beer a pound a pint until it’s finished”. The place was busier than it ever has been. Don’t know who’s missing the point more - the landlord, or the punters.

I’ve been out twice over the weekend - yesterday was Hunterston and Largs (cafe shut, but still doing takeaway) and today was kilwinning,kilmaurs, kilmarnock, irvine - usual cafe in kilmaurs shut.

Fewer cars on the road, lots more walkers and solo cyclists on the cycle paths.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

On Friday I took route 73 to kilmarnock from there to Dundonald and back to the coast through Barrasie and troon before heading back to Irvine. 35 miles.

Yesterday I went the other way and headed up the coast to Seamill where I stopped at the hydro before heading hame. 25 miles.

As Bruce said there seams to be a lot more people out walking and cycling, more than I think you would see on a warm summer day. Maybe just because of the nice weather or maybe folk are staying away from the shop.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Made good use of my exercise time this morning and got the bike oot. Nothing major just a jaunt down the coast to Prestwick, cracking morning, flat calm with some drizzle. Very very quiet on the roads but when I got to Troon the queues at Morrison's was massive snaking all around the carpark.
People are really getting on there bikes probably the most amount of bikes I've seen out and about in my years of cycling. The amount of joggers has went through the roof as well (we'll be the fittest no well folk in the world).
Heading back to Irvine I decided to treat myself to a bottle of rum so along to asda but again the queue was massive so lager it is tonight. 30 miles this morning. Stay safe everyone :good:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Read in a newspaper last week about Furniture polish benefits . Sprayed some on the bike this morning as i had ran out of wd 40 - it works~!

Have you no Malt left bonzo :smt030
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Plenty Brian, just fancied a change. They do say you want what you haven't got :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

A wee trip round the 3 (well 2) towns tonight, to see if any take-away’s open...

Along the high rd. Sorbie road passed the cemetery.
Stanley Rd.
Stanley’s Kitchen - Closed
Cross dalry rd , along to Island view, back to rowan side terrace - Lucky House - Closed
Glasgow St. Palazzo - closed. shanghai - closed. Chinese at bottom of st - closed. Jaipur open, Alberts chippy open. Kebab shop Princes St open.
Along the front, Hamilton St. Melbourne closed. Turkish Food Club open. Shan Moon closed. Eglinton closed. Chinese in Green St deliveries only.
Canal St - Mei’s kitchen closed.
Old Raise Rd, chinese closed, Indian/kebab open.

11km. We had pasta.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Don't say that Bruce we had oor hearts set on a Chinese on Sunday night :(
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Up and out the back of 7 this morning. Trying to stay on the roads and off the cycle paths to avoid people.
So headed to Stewarton and turned towards kilmaurs then onto kilmarnock. From killie I headed to Gatehead and Dundonald. Onto the coast at Barassie through Troon then back to Irvine. 35 miles.
I think this will be my last run for a wee while as it seems exercise has to be kept to under an hour. I've still got a turbo trainer set up in a spare room so I'll be using that for the foreseeable.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo- How are you getting on with the turbo trainer do you need motivating to ride. Just saying as i bought H H an Exercise Bike last year and she has been on it once :lol: