Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Hughie »

gnyaff wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am I did read earlier when the virus was still in its earlier stages in China that a young Welshman who was there drank a Toddy every day and it helped him recover.
Not really into spirits, John. :puter
Last night we had a bottle of our local Shiraz and a pizza at home for our 56th wedding anniversary - no other options at short notice were available. We were meant to be celebrating it on the ship yesterday somewhere between Adelaide and Albany. Anyway we are safely home and keeping out of circulation.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hughie wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 am My cousin's son said:
I could've caught it anywhere unfortunately.
Hughie, thanks for this.
This is what frightens me. If somebody is just back from China or Italy or have family or friends just back from there, we can keep out of their way. It's the ones with the unknown source that is the big danger. You never know when you're going to bump into them.
This is assuming that the returning travellers have the good sense to stay at home. We're self-isolating here.
Stay safe and well everybody.
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I don't understand when people are diagnosed as being positive to the virus, but they have no symptoms. How can you be positive and have no symptoms. Don't understand this.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

The symptoms are not "the virus”. The symptoms are the way that your body reacts to the virus.

Some people’s bodies may have very strong reactions to his virus, in others the reaction may be much milder. In both cases, the virus is in the person’s body.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Back at the beginning of the last century, there was a woman in New York who was a carrier of the cholera bacteria.
She had no symtoms and was completely healthy, BUT she carried the germ and was infecting lots of people as she worked in a restaurant. It took the authorities a long time to find her and when they tried to take her off the street for public-health reasons, the courts would not allow it as she had not committed any crime. She went back into society and caused the disease to spread further before the law was changed to allow the courts to restrain her.
They made a movie about the case.
JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

JD, Are you thinking of typhoid Mary Mallon?
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Bonzo, right first time. - Must confess I was dredging the old memory cells just then.
JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Now it’s getting damned serious - since they shut all the pubs, Sainsbury’s have run out of ALL red wine. Seriously though, something has to be done about panic buying in the supermarkets - one suggestion is that the supermarkets should lock up all trolleys and people should be allocated one basket. At least it will slow down the shelf clearing. I hope the greedy bar stewards sitting on 9 months of pasta and canned veggies enjoy their spoils.

On another note - Tim Martin, owner of Wetherspoons - has announced he intends to ignore the closure order as he thinks there is “very little transmission of the coronavirus in pubs". Thank goodness the Scottish Government has given Police Scotland the authority to close any remaining pubs and send a report to the licensing authorities to be taken into consideration when things return to normal - whatever or whenever that will be.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Closing pubs, clubs etc was welcomed but the reality of the situation is that most people aren’t giving a monkeys to what’s actually going to happen.
The pictures on our tv this morning from yesterday of hordes of people treating it like a bank holiday because the sun was out left me very uneasy.
My daughter & son’s partner are working on the front line & the bare facts are that they are struggling to cope & it’s going to get a lot worse.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Just back from the shopping-The food shops are all empty and extra staff hired to fill the shelves. Managed to buy toilet roll for the first time in 2 weeks :P
As i said to HH the other day "they" idiots panic buying have only so much space- it i will return to normal. I rest my case.

Meg. I thought the shops would run out of booze -seen no evidence. Good luck :smt030

Brian- In East Angula
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm Just back from the shopping-The food shops are all empty and extra staff hired to fill the shelves. Managed to buy toilet roll for the first time in 2 weeks :P
As i said to HH the other day "they" idiots panic buying have only so much space- it i will return to normal. I rest my case.

Meg. I thought the shops would run out of booze -seen no evidence. Good luck :smt030

Brian- In East Angula
Brian - as long as you’re not looking for rice or pasta or Heinz beans - you can get most things in the supermarket - we got kitkats, tunnocks caramel wafers, garibaldi biscuits, olive oil, washing up liquid and oven cleaner - oh and gin and tonic - we’re fine for three weeks now :wink:

Just watched Nicola’s daily briefing - she is so clear, coherent and informative - makes such a difference from any other national government update. I agree with you Bonzo - if she led the Labour Party Westminster would be an entirely different flavour. Brian - George shares your secret fancy too :wink:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

It's all doom and gloom at the moment, but what a party there will be all around the world when we finally we get through this and I'm sure that we will get though it.