What are you reading now?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Hughie »

meekan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm Finished reading 'The Wrong Side of Goodbye' about a detective called Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly another excellent crime writer
Thanks, Angus. I'm on to this author, Just read his 'Two kinds of Truth', and about to start another of his. 'The Closer'. I'm a real Scot, so I'm going for the cheap ones to start with for the Kindle, if they are good I won't mind paying for the dearer ones. :roll:
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

One of my favourite authors. :D
I've read about 30 of his books and enjoyed them all.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Just finished reading 2 books by Scottish author, Robert Douglas set in the Glasgow tenements after
WW2 Great stories. Description of a neighbour's washing "she was a stranger to Oxydol" (washing powder
for you younger Theetowners)

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hahaya2004 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:41 pm One of my favourite authors. :D
I've read about 30 of his books and enjoyed them all.
Really great stories and I'm enjoying the character that is Detective Harry Bosch. the author Michael Connelly is very talented. I've read five so far. :clap:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Reading Michael Connelly's eighth book - City of Bones. Damn! Think I'm addicted. :shock:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just finished the Lewis trilogy - The Blackhouse, The Lewis Man and the Chess men by Peter May - a great read, would recommend - crime based stories, all based on Lewis and a wonderful description of the community, a love interest and a fantastic picture of how life is on the outer Hebrides.
BWalsh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BWalsh »

I've read a few of Peter May's books and enjoyed the Lewis trilogy. Another I particularly enjoyed was "Runaway". Different from the trilogy but worth a read.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Not normally my sort of thing, but I tripped over it in the library here in Delft.
Bloody January by Allan Parks; a detective set in Glasgow starring Harry McCoy, a typical Glesca polis.
Authentic Glesca patois, down to the sweary words. This is turning into a Harry McCoy series.
Not meant for your granny. Be interested to hear what you think.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John Donnelly wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:33 pm Not normally my sort of thing, but I tripped over it in the library here in Delft.
Bloody January by Allan Parks; a detective set in Glasgow starring Harry McCoy, a typical Glesca polis.
Authentic Glesca patois, down to the sweary words. This is turning into a Harry McCoy series.
Not meant for your granny. Be interested to hear what you think.

JD.
Read this last year JD - recommended by a columnist in the Sunday Mail (John Niven), but I didn’t enjoy it - it was way too violent for me.

Let me know how his next book goes...

Meanwhile I’ve just finished the Lewis trilogy - the blackhouse, The Lewis man and the chessmen by Peter May. Can really recommend...

Meg
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Slighty O/T
An article in the Herald about John Buchan prompted me to look for some of his writings......which landed me at the scottish book store (dot)com..all lowercase and joined up........It's got everything but the shortbread
Last edited by stivis on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just finished The Quaker, by William McIlvanney’s son Liam (William was an English teacher at Irvine Royal before becoming a successful author). Using the Bible John murders in Glasgow in the 1960s he weaves a fictional tale about the hunt for the Quaker, with quite a few twists and turns - would really recommend. Seem to be reading a lot of Tartan Noir at the moment and enjoying. Just started Whisky from Small Glasses by Denzil Meyrick- will let you know...

Meg
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 pm Read this last year JD - recommended by a columnist in the Sunday Mail (John Niven), but I didn’t enjoy it - it was way too violent for me.
Let me know how his next book goes...
Meg
Hi Meg,

Finished Bloody January. Like you, I was impressed - badly.
As you said, far too violent, almost all of which was unnecessary. It added nothing to the plot.
I won't be reading any more of his books.

JD.