Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 am
Penny Tray wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am
Penny Tray wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:37 am

GLASGOW HERALD
18 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

As an eye-witness of the rescue, will you allow me to state, what seems to be the general opinion of the district, that at the time of the rescue and for at least four hours previous thereto the wind pressure at no point exceeded 40 miles an hour.

As regards “sea,” during the whole trip the hull of the rescuing boat was never out of range of vision. The wind was bitter, and there was a short, choppy sea – heaviest just outside the harbour entrance; but there the small boat remained in full view. It is not an uncommon spectacle to see during the stormy weather often prevalent in September the salmon fishermen going from Saltcoats to their nets, anchored at the inches, in a 16 foot open skiff with close-reefed lugsail, and through a sea in the trough of which the small craft, sail and all, is lost to view some seconds between every wave. Compared with this the “sea” between the wreck and Ardrossan Harbour after the wind veered to the north-west was practically nil.

Mr. Thomas Nibbs, coastguardsman, whose skill and experience in lifeboat work is probably greater than that of all the Ardrossan lifeboat crew put together, stated at the inquiry that at the time the lifeboat gave up he considered she could have been rowed-out if double-banked, and no amount of cross-questioning shook this skilled opinion, which in the estimation of the judicious must outweigh a host of Ardrossan Harbour officials.

Further, if the tug had been got out she could have effected the rescue alone, and probably much quicker than if hampered by an indifferently manned lifeboat.

Captain Shields and Mr. John Craig say neither of them has any charge or responsibility in connection with the lifeboat. Why did they send for, consult with, and instruct the coxswain if that official was alone responsible?

I am &c.,
WINTON PIER

GLASGOW HERALD
18 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

Although I have not the honour of knowing Mr. George B. Main, I rest assured that he is quite capable of replying to any letter which has yet appeared in your columns relative to this deplorable incident, and am glad to see from your issue of yesterday (16 January 1895) that he “bides his time.”

I would prefer not to form a third party to this correspondence; but surely this is a case when Mr. Main (a stranger to the locality) should have the assistance of junior counsel as it were, to work up the facts. To this end I would, with your permission, call upon the assistant secretary to the Ardrossan Lifeboat Committee, to give a full and complete list of those gentlemen who formed the committee, say on Friday 21st December last, and what changes, with the dates thereof, have been made down to this date.

I am &c.,
TERTIUM QUID

GLASGOW HERALD
24 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

I have read with much interest the correspondence on the above subject.

It is not my intention to go into the details of the recent public inquiry- as it was called – further than to say that it would take a more searching inquiry to satisfy the people in the locality and district, who sympathise very strongly with your correspondent, Mr. Main.

There was one point in Captain Graham’s recommendation that I thought very appropriate – viz., that there should be frequent drill or exercise in moderately rough weather.

Some have thought that the failure of the lifeboat crew to reach the wreck and do what the gallant fishermen did so nobly in a small boat was due to want of courage. Others have expressed the opinion that it was to want of ability to manage the boat. It is on this point of the subject, taken in connection with the above recommendation, that I crave your indulgence for a few lines.

It will be in the recollection of your readers in this district that on a day in the summer some three years ago – if I mistake not – a fine day, with just a pleasant breeze blowing, the crew of the lifeboat went out for practice. From some cause, best known to themselves, they got ashore opposite the old rope work, 1½ miles or so from their starting point, and instead of exercising themselves and displaying their ability to manage their craft by taking her home they took her a little farther along the shore, and sent to Ardrossan for the carriage, and had her taken home through Saltcoats by horse power instead of in her element.

The remark was freely made at the time that if that was all they could do with the lifeboat in such weather they would be very helpless to assist the ship-wrecked in a storm.

After witnessing the above (to me) sad display I was not surprised to hear what took place on the memorable 22nd December, 1894.

I am &c.,
P.M.

GLASGOW HERALD
25 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

By your kindness this whole matter has now been fully discussed pro and con, and your readers have doubtless already pretty well made up their minds as to whether or not the Ardrossan lifeboat acted in a capable manner on the occasion of the recent shipwreck at that port.

The purpose of those who think with me has now been sufficiently answered for the moment, as I understand from a sympathetic letter which I have received from a well-known Member of Parliament the whole matter is likely to be brought under the notice of Parliament in the course of the ensuing session.

On a very recent date Glasgow gave largely to the funds of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, and the public have a right to demand that the present case should not be allowed to pass without an independent public inquiry.

I am &c.,
GEORGE B. MAIN,
2 Dalzell Drive,
Pollokshields,
Glasgow.

GLASGOW HERALD
30 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

After the correspondence which has taken place regarding above, I dare say many of your readers are wondering if nothing is being done to recognise the bravery of the Saltcoats fishermen, who went out in an ordinary ship’s boat and rescued the three survivors of the crew of the LOVEN, while the crew of the best lifeboat on the West of Scotland remained helpless in the harbour watching how it was done.

For the information of your readers, I may say that while the Provosts and Magistrates of Ardrossan and Saltcoats respectively have not thought it worthwhile to open a subscription list (as was done in Irvine for the lifeboat crew there) it has not been overlooked.

Mr. Guthrie, Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald Office, Ardrossan, has offered to receive subscriptions, and has already received upwards of £48. There are probably many others who would like to do something to acknowledge the services of these gallant fishermen, who, without the lifeboat, exhibited a bravery not less notable than that of the Irvine lifeboat crew.

I am &c.,
AYRSHIRE
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
31 JANUARY 1931

DEATH

SHEARER: At 21 Montgomerie Street, Ardrossan, on the 30th of January, 1931, Charles James Shearer, son of the late James Shearer, shipbuilder, Ardrossan.

DEATH OF MR. C. J. SHEARER, ARDROSSAN

Mr. Charles J. Shearer, whose death occurred yesterday at an advanced age, for many years took a leading part in the public life of Ardrossan. He was a prominent educationist and a former chairman of Ardrossan School Board.

He was the author of several novels and a book of poems, and in addition composed music for some of his own verses.

Mr. Shearer, who was unmarried, was a son of one of the founders of the shipbuilding firm of Barr & Shearer, Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:15 am
Penny Tray wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:54 am GLASGOW HERALD
28 JANUARY 1882

BOARD OF TRADE INQUIRY

An investigation into the circumstances attending the abandonment of the barquentine MARGARET BOYD, of Ardrossan, owned by Mr. Hugh Boyd, shipowner there, was commenced in the Town Hall, Ardrossan, on Friday morning in the presence of Messrs J. L. Bailey and Anthony Mack, J.P., assisted by Captain Thomas Bowman Rees and Robert Wilson, nautical assessors; Hugh Boyd, owner; David Dall, master; and John Kerr, mate of the MARGARET BOYD, appeared on behalf of themselves, being represented by no agent.

Mr. Cook, who acted as clerk read the authority for holding the inquiry, and, in opening the case on behalf of the Board of Trade.

Mr. Thomas Kirkhope was solicitor for the Board of Trade.

[A full summary of the evidence led is included in the above newspaper.]
GLASGOW HERALD
30 JANUARY 1882

BOARD OF TRADE INQUIRY AT ARDROSSAN

The inquiry into the circumstances attending the abandonment of the barquentine MARGARET BOYD, of Ardrossan, was continued on Saturday.
GLASGOW HERALD
31 JANUARY 1882

BOARD OF TRADE INQUIRY AT ARDROSSAN

The inquiry into the circumstances attending the abandonment of the barquentine MARGARET BOYD, of Ardrossan, was concluded yesterday.

Mr. J. L. Bailey said that the Court had gone carefully over the evidence, and had come to a unanimous decision. They found that the abandonment of the vessel was justifiable; and in reply to the question put by the agent for the Board of Trade, they found as follows:-

1. That there was no evidence to show that when the ship left Irvine for Miramichi she was not in good and seaworthy condition.

2. That when the ship left Miramichi for Larne she appears to have been in a condition equal to what she was at the commencement of the voyage.

3. That looking to the build of the ship, she having an unusual breadth of beam and shallowness of hold, and taking into account her age and strength, her deck load was not too heavy.

4. That the deck load was perfectly secured.

5. That the pumps were sufficient and in good order.

6. That she had sufficient freeboard for the voyage.

7. That the cause of casualties sustained on 23rd November last was the extreme violence of the hurricane in which the vessel was caught and the seas washing over her, and that, in the circumstances of the vessel, everything appears to have been done which could reasonably be expected.

8. That the pumps were used with sufficient frequency, and that, considering the extent to which the water had gained, and the state of the weather, the master was justified in stopping the pumps when he did.

9. That every possible effort was made to save the vessel.

10. That she was not prematurely abandoned.

11. That neither the master nor the mate is in default, and that no blame attaches to the owner.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WIKIPEDIA
1 FEBRUARY 1919

ARDROSSAN NORTH RAILWAY STATION

Ardrossan North Railway Station – at various times also referred to as “Ardrossan,” “Ardrossan Town,” “Ardrossan Montgomerie Street,” and “Ardrossan Caledonia” – having closed on 1 January 1917, due to wartime economy, re-opened on this date.

Further information on this station is contained in the following link: -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardrossan ... ay_station
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WIKIPEDIA
1 FEBRUARY 1919

ARDROSSAN MONTGOMERIE PIER RAILWAY STATION

Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier Railway Station, having closed on 1 January 1917, due to wartime economy, re-opened on this date.

Further information on this station is contained in the following link: -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardrossan ... ay_station
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 am
Penny Tray wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 am
Penny Tray wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am

GLASGOW HERALD
24 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

I have read with much interest the correspondence on the above subject.

It is not my intention to go into the details of the recent public inquiry- as it was called – further than to say that it would take a more searching inquiry to satisfy the people in the locality and district, who sympathise very strongly with your correspondent, Mr. Main.

There was one point in Captain Graham’s recommendation that I thought very appropriate – viz., that there should be frequent drill or exercise in moderately rough weather.

Some have thought that the failure of the lifeboat crew to reach the wreck and do what the gallant fishermen did so nobly in a small boat was due to want of courage. Others have expressed the opinion that it was to want of ability to manage the boat. It is on this point of the subject, taken in connection with the above recommendation, that I crave your indulgence for a few lines.

It will be in the recollection of your readers in this district that on a day in the summer some three years ago – if I mistake not – a fine day, with just a pleasant breeze blowing, the crew of the lifeboat went out for practice. From some cause, best known to themselves, they got ashore opposite the old rope work, 1½ miles or so from their starting point, and instead of exercising themselves and displaying their ability to manage their craft by taking her home they took her a little farther along the shore, and sent to Ardrossan for the carriage, and had her taken home through Saltcoats by horse power instead of in her element.

The remark was freely made at the time that if that was all they could do with the lifeboat in such weather they would be very helpless to assist the ship-wrecked in a storm.

After witnessing the above (to me) sad display I was not surprised to hear what took place on the memorable 22nd December, 1894.

I am &c.,
P.M.

GLASGOW HERALD
25 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

By your kindness this whole matter has now been fully discussed pro and con, and your readers have doubtless already pretty well made up their minds as to whether or not the Ardrossan lifeboat acted in a capable manner on the occasion of the recent shipwreck at that port.

The purpose of those who think with me has now been sufficiently answered for the moment, as I understand from a sympathetic letter which I have received from a well-known Member of Parliament the whole matter is likely to be brought under the notice of Parliament in the course of the ensuing session.

On a very recent date Glasgow gave largely to the funds of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, and the public have a right to demand that the present case should not be allowed to pass without an independent public inquiry.

I am &c.,
GEORGE B. MAIN,
2 Dalzell Drive,
Pollokshields,
Glasgow.

GLASGOW HERALD
30 JANUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

After the correspondence which has taken place regarding above, I dare say many of your readers are wondering if nothing is being done to recognise the bravery of the Saltcoats fishermen, who went out in an ordinary ship’s boat and rescued the three survivors of the crew of the LOVEN, while the crew of the best lifeboat on the West of Scotland remained helpless in the harbour watching how it was done.

For the information of your readers, I may say that while the Provosts and Magistrates of Ardrossan and Saltcoats respectively have not thought it worthwhile to open a subscription list (as was done in Irvine for the lifeboat crew there) it has not been overlooked.

Mr. Guthrie, Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald Office, Ardrossan, has offered to receive subscriptions, and has already received upwards of £48. There are probably many others who would like to do something to acknowledge the services of these gallant fishermen, who, without the lifeboat, exhibited a bravery not less notable than that of the Irvine lifeboat crew.

I am &c.,
AYRSHIRE

GLASGOW HERALD
1 FEBRUARY 1895

Sir,

THE ARDROSSAN LIFEBOAT

Your correspondent “AYRSHIRE” is not quite correct in his statements.

I do not know what the Provost of Ardrossan is doing in the matter, but I know for a fact that the worthy Provost McIsaac of Saltcoats has personally got upwards of £50 towards the fund to reward the brave Saltcoats fishermen, and I think will allow this is a very tidy sum to be got by one gentleman from his friends in these dull times.

I am &c.,
THISTLE
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
1 FEBRUARY 1924

DEAN OF GUILD COURT

At a sitting of Ardrossan Dean of Guild Court plans were passed for the construction of an additional bowling green alongside the existing green and a new clubhouse between the two greens.

The estimated cost is £1200.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
1 FEBRUARY 1927

FATAL ATTEMPT TO STOP PONY

While ADAM HARRIS, labourer, 113 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, was taking a pony up the road leading to Montfode Farm, Ardrossan, after exercising it on the sands, the pony bolted.

Harris hung on to the rein in an endeavour to stop it and was dragged a considerable distance along the road, receiving injuries from which he died shortly after being conveyed home.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 FEBRUARY 1892

DEATH

DEANS: At 11 Regent Street, Portobello, on the 31st ultimo, William Deans, late of Ardrossan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 FEBRUARY 1901

SCOTCH BANKRUPT
EXAMINATION

J. DUNCAN MANSON, carting contractor and coal merchant, Ardrossan – to be examined in the Court-House, County Buildings, Kilmarnock, 13th February, at eleven o’clock.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 FEBRUARY 1892

ANNIVERSARY SERVICES

Anniversary services were conducted in the Free Church, Ardrossan, on Sabbath last, forenoon and evening by the Rev. Dr. Bremner, Partick. There was large attendance at both diets of worship.

The collections amounted to £37 0s 3½d.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 FEBRUARY 1895

CURLING
ARDROSSAN v. AUCHENAMES (WEST KILBRIDE)

On Thursday five rinks from Ardrossan met five rinks of Auchenames on the ice at West Kilbride.

Ardrossan beat Auchenames by a majority of 21 shots.

Score – Ardrossan, 99; Auchenames, 78.