Scottish Stovies

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Scottish Stovies

Post by michaelm »

A good slow cooker method for Stovies during the winter. Add a wee bit more stock to the recipe if you prefer.

Mmmnn!! :)

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scottish Stovies

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, Michael. Much like my dad's Saltcoats stoves, but he also added turnip. You're to blame for me getting sent down the butchers to get chipolata sausages this morning - so guess what's for tea. :)

Added: Turned out really nice and we used the slow cooker which we love - we'll have it again. :)
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Right you cooks, enlighten me; a slow cooker?
How is that different from a normal heavy iron cooking pot?
Is it maybe electric?
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, John. Electric. Great for slow cooking cheaper cuts of meat. Very good for the likes of stews and lamb shanks. :)
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Now I've got to find one here.
Does anybody know the Dutch for 'slow cooker?'

JD :(
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John Donnelly wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 pm Now I've got to find one here.
Does anybody know the Dutch for 'slow cooker?'

JD :(
Crockpot - and lots of recipe books on Amazon.nl John.

Mx
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks, Meg and Hughie,

My excellent and knowledgeable wife informs me that it's called a vleespan here; pronounced vlayspan.
I'll find one and let you know how I get on. We had it regularly when we were weans, but I've never tried to make it myself. Daft, intit. I loved stovies and it's dead easy to make.
Watch this space.
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ours stovies didn't turn out like in the video in that ours was more juicy - I liked it that way and was as I recall it when I was growing up. Wife added a wee bit of Bisto type stuff as well as the two oxo cubes. I'm thinking it was because we never used floury tatties which I'd reckon would soak up the gravy more. The finished dish in the video looked more like the hotpot we used to get at school dinners at Eglinton/Winton - though that hotpot was made with mince.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hughie wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 am Ours stovies didn't turn out like in the video in that ours was more juicy
That's the way my mum's stovies were but Mrs B's mum's were thicker I liked the juicy ones as you could dook a slice of bread in.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm
Hughie wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 am Our stovies didn't turn out like in the video in that ours was more juicy
That's the way my mum's stovies were but Mrs B's mum's were thicker I liked the juicy ones as you could dook a slice of bread in.
I think it mostly comes down to personal preference, some folk like them thick while other's obviously prefer them a bit juicier.
The type of meat used varies as well, but beef square sausage is what I grew up seeing my wee maw using. :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 pm
bonzo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm
Hughie wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 am Our stovies didn't turn out like in the video in that ours was more juicy
I think it mostly comes down to personal preference, some folk like them thick while other's obviously prefer them a bit juicier.
The type of meat used varies as well, but beef square sausage is what I grew up seeing my wee maw using. :)
Both used beef square slice Michael, just Mrs B's mum mashed hers down you could put it on an oatcake but the dookin ability was zero, I suppose it's all down to personal preference :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Incidentally I do enjoy the pre packed macintosh stovies which are thick as something in the neck of a bottle :lol: