Scottish recipes

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
alex hughes 1970
New Poster
New Poster

Scottish recipes

Post by alex hughes 1970 »

Hi folks. My wife is Chinese and I would like to introduce her to some traditional Scottish cooking but I cannot cook. Does anyone know any easy traditional Scottish recipes? Regards
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scottish recipes

Post by Meg »

Alex, you are in the right forum - if you have a read through the recipes, you'll find tattie scones, soda, stovies, sausage etc. if you are looking for something in particular and it's not here, just ask - I am sure there's someone who will know

Meg
fattybums
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fattybums »

Hi there,
I can give you a quick recipe for puff candy. Place a cup of sugar in a pan, add half a cup of water, bring to the boil, add half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, take off the heat, stir quickly and put in a greased oven tin or an oven tin lined with grease-proof paper. Freeze until hard. My mum made this regularly. Good one for those on a tight budget and a sweet tooth. Add a drop of vinegar instead of the bicarb for toffee. We used the vinegar from the beetroot to make pink toffee.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

fattybums wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm Hi there,
I can give you a quick recipe for puff candy. Place a cup of sugar in a pan, add half a cup of water, bring to the boil, add half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, take off the heat, stir quickly and put in a greased oven tin or an oven tin lined with grease-proof paper. Freeze until hard. My mum made this regularly. Good one for those on a tight budget and a sweet tooth. Add a drop of vinegar instead of the bicarb for toffee. We used the vinegar from the beetroot to make pink toffee.
That's an interesting sounding username fattybums. Surely there has to be some connection with that and liking sugary recipe's. :lol: