geomacintyre

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

geomacintyre

Post by Penny Tray »

Last Saturday, the late George Macintyre, an Ardrossanite, and, until his passing last November, a “regular poster” on all matters military, was honoured at the Shot at Dawn Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum, by the dedication of a memorial bench.

While President of the National Union of Journalists, George was a key figure in securing pardons for 306 British and Commonwealth soldiers who were shot a dawn during the first world war.

The plate on his bench reads:-

GEORGE MACINTYRE

Journalist and co-leader of Shot at Dawn, helped change history and lift a country’s shame from families of men and boys executed by their own side in WW1.

A friend of man, the friend of truth.

A photograph of the Shot at Dawn Monument is shown in the following link:-

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... morial.JPG

Some Shot at Dawn statistics and other information is included in this link:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_at_Dawn_Memorial

And at the end of the day the efforts of the Shot at Dawn Campaign would have been worthless but for the positive intervention of Des Browne, former Defence Secretary, Stevenstonian, and former pupil of St. Michael's Academy.

At the material time Mr. Browne said the following, and was as good as his word:-

"Although this is a historical matter, I am conscious of how the families of these men feel today.

"They have had to endure a stigma for decades. That makes this a moral issue too, and having reviewed it, I believe it is appropriate to seek a statutory pardon.

"I hope we can take the earliest opportunity to achieve this by introducing a suitable amendment to the current Armed Forces Bill.

"I believe a group pardon, approved by Parliament, is the best way to deal with this. After 90 years, the evidence just doesn't exist to assess all the cases individually.

"I do not want to second guess the decisions made by commanders in the field, who were doing their best to apply the rules and standards of the time.

"But the circumstances were terrible, and I believe it is better to acknowledge that injustices were clearly done in some cases, even if we cannot say which - and to acknowledge that all these men were victims of war."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: geomacintyre

Post by George Ardrossan »

That's a lovely story, Penny Tray. Thanks for posting it.

George
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

That is a lovely tribute to George. Thanks for letting us know, PT.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A much deserved acknowledgement to George's efforts in bringing this dark side of our past to everyone's attention. And in doing so, helping to find closure for the families of those executed.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

A much deserved Honour to George , thanks for posting PT.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Great recognition of all of George's hard work - his family must be really proud.

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Good to hear of this well merited recognition for George; thanks for keeping us informed, PT.

Susan
jimmcisaac
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jimmcisaac »

Penny,
Many thanks for posting this.
A fitting tribute to George.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

I hadn't heard of this until I saw a tribute to the Shot at Dawn memorial on the Antique Roadshow. It's even more interesting to know that a someone like Geomcintyre from Ardrossan was a key figure in getting the pardons for these young men who were no doubt the victims of war in ways that not many of us would understand or comprehend.
Well done Geomcintyre. Your family must be proud.
We do well to remember all those who fell to bring our freedom and who worked behind the scenes to rectify the unfortunate deeds that were committed under the auspices of war. Lest we forget.
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Post by irejim9 »

It is good to know this information. We would not have know this if not for the Threetowners Forum. Thank you