new work on the prom

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: new work on the prom

Post by 5siamese7 »

Look these waves have been crashing over the prom for years . The main problem is what's happening under neath.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

madge wrote:Notice in this week's A & S Herald re work on promenade. Closure to be extended to 2 August 2016 or until work completed.
It seems that AMCO slightly underestimated how long the work might take madge. :)

5siamese7 wrote:Look these waves have been crashing over the prom for years . The main problem is what's happening under neath.
Yes, that's true 5siamese7.
Though many local folk will no doubt be very interested to see if the work that's being carried out has any real negating effect on those large waves that crash onto the walkway/railway line etc.
I guess we'll just have to wait till the work's finished to find out - whenever that will be. :roll:
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

As soon as I saw their estimated timeframe for doing the work I knew it was optimistic. They were always going to be hampered by the weather. Makes you wonder why they didn't start it in the spring. I was down there the other day at the Stevenston side, I don't even think they are a third of the way along yet.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

I noticed today that the prom is now open to the public. I’m guessing that this has just happened within the past few days. There were lots of people out using it, despite the wet weather. Now that the potholes are fixed and the whole thing’s been resurfaced, you can walk along it without having to constantly keep one eye on the ground! The new concrete sea wall is a bit depressing, but on the whole the upgrade seems to me to be a good thing.
BWalsh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BWalsh »

View from the Stevenston side, not very aesthetic. I would have thought a bit of pattern on the pedestrian side would have been possible, even a bit of colour.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

BWalsh wrote:View from the Stevenston side, not very aesthetic. I would have thought a bit of pattern on the pedestrian side would have been possible, even a bit of colour.
I agree BWalsh.
I was lucky enough to get a word with one of the site managers from AMCO just prior to the work being completed and among other things he told me it wasn't an aesthetic job they were there to do - just repair and preventative stuff.
Looking at it now I can see he certainly wasn't lying there. :lol:

To be fair though, it does look much better than before and the resurfacing work done should make it a more pleasant experience for walkers and cyclists alike.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: new work on the prom last week. thr0cgres

Post by glenshena »

[/u.I noticed on Saltcoats prom last week three bright New Yellow benches with dedications. When were These erected? Are these in place of the hanging baskets?

ADDED by Admin:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: new work on the prom last week. thr0cgres

Post by bonzo »

glenshena wrote:[/u.I noticed on Saltcoats prom last week three bright New Yellow benches with dedications. When were These erected? Are these in place of the hanging baskets?
On the prom?
Those wimin were in the nip.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

On Fri 9th of Sept we had a bit of a blaw, for the younger members " Blaw means wind" :wink: and rail services were disrupted. (source - train guard on Sat 10th) The tide height at Ardrossan was showing 2.8 - 3.0 metres, I am sure there will be higher tides than this during the winter.
Yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon I had a walk along the prom, I use the term "walk" loosely, as I had to navigate my way around rafts of wet slippery seaweed and puddles. Nearer the Stevenston end there were large areas covered in wet sand, I stood for few moments at the new steps located about half way along to observe what was happening as the waves met the large rocks that have been deposited at the foot of the prom. At a 1/2 to 3/4 tide the fine spray was lifted by the wind hitting the return wall and carrying it 10 or more feet into the air, I just wonder as we approach winter what kind of impact this might have on rail services when high tides meet high winds.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

little plum wrote:On Fri 9th of Sept we had a bit of a blaw, for the younger members " Blaw means wind" :wink: and rail services were disrupted. (source - train guard on Sat 10th) The tide height at Ardrossan was showing 2.8 - 3.0 metres, I am sure there will be higher tides than this during the winter.
Yesterday (Sunday) late afternoon I had a walk along the prom, I use the term "walk" loosely, as I had to navigate my way around rafts of wet slippery seaweed and puddles. Nearer the Stevenston end there were large areas covered in wet sand, I stood for few moments at the new steps located about half way along to observe what was happening as the waves met the large rocks that have been deposited at the foot of the prom. At a 1/2 to 3/4 tide the fine spray was lifted by the wind hitting the return wall and carrying it 10 or more feet into the air, I just wonder as we approach winter what kind of impact this might have on rail services when high tides meet high winds.
Jings..in all my walks along..sometimes difficult, never impossible!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis