Nursery Place, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Nursery Place, Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

A 'Nursery' topic raised elsewhere by Down South got me wondering how NURSERY PLACE, Ardrossan, got its name. Situated at the bottom of Park View (the former Kirkhall Drive)/Kirkhall Gardens, I neither recall anyone selling plants at that location nor a pre-school facility!

Anyone know the answer or prepared to hazard a guess?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Nursery Place, Ardrossan

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray

I think Nursery Place, shown below on 31 August 2002, was built on the site of a plant nursery run by Ardrossan Town Council in the 1950s and perhaps earlier.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

I know someone who formerly lived at the bottom of Kirkhall Drive in the 50s and phoned them, and you're absolutely right. As you walked down Kirkhall Drive towards Parkhouse Road the Town Council had a nursery beyond the last block of flats on the right hand side of the road. Having talked it through, I vaguely remember it now, but only vaguely.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I have to say, the last time I was in Nursery Place it consisted of a row of flats. I have been unable to spot them in the photo ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

It was the Ardrossan town council gardeners dept they had two or three large greenhouses full of plants and kept all the grass cutting machines there and also small grey Fergie and trailer tractor was petrol engine I lived at number 8 Kirkhall overlooking the nursery buildings.
regards Harry .
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

little plum wrote:I have to say, the last time I was in Nursery Place it consisted of a row of flats. I have been unable to spot them in the photo ?
You are right, Little Plum. The flats are not in the photo. Nursery Place is shown below.

I'm sorry for the mistake and taking so long to respond.

George