Saltcoats Swimming Pool - Closing date

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Saltcoats Swimming Pool - Closing date

Post by boots1 »

I am intrested in finding out when Saltcoats Bathing Pool closed down am looking to find out a date to check the old Ardrossan and saltcoats archives to get a photo for my aunt who left saltcoats 41 years ago, and if anyone knew much on Thomas Hamilton the Bathing pool master.

If anyone knows a year and a month and much information about Thomas Hamilton where he lived and when he died,

if anyone can let me know

Thanks
Last edited by Hughie on Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from unrelated topic
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Swimming Pool - Closing date

Post by down south »

There's an article here, John, which may be what you're looking for; it implies that there wasn't any great fanfare for the closing of the pool, it just didn't reopen for the next season.

Unfortunately I don't have a date for it, but I do know that the Auchenharvie Pool opened in the spring of 1973, so the date when the pool closed is likely to have been 1972....at the end of the season, which I'm reliably informed in another post was always the third Wednesday in September.So that should give you an idea of when to look.

Susan
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

down south wrote:There's an article here, John, which may be what you're looking for; it implies that there wasn't any great fanfare for the closing of the pool, it just didn't reopen for the next season.

Unfortunately I don't have a date for it, but I do know that the Auchenharvie Pool opened in the spring of 1973, so the date when the pool closed is likely to have been 1972....at the end of the season, which I'm reliably informed in another post was always the third Wednesday in September.So that should give you an idea of when to look.
Susan
http://www.naheritagetrails.co.uk/herit ... tslido.php
This is from the above link.
"On one day in July 1933 a record 4,511 paid to be part of this wonderful new experience. Throughout the next 50 years crowds flocked to the pond in Saltcoats, especially during the Glasgow Fair holiday. With the opening of indoor pools at the Magnum and later at Harvie's in Stevenston the pond's attendance declined. In 1983 the pond was demolished and in 1989 the site was re-developed and is now a landscaped area."

Going by the above, and as no-one seems to have nailed down a particular year or date yet, it makes me wonder whether it was indeed closed before Auchenharvie pool opened, or if the closure came some time later simply as a result of falling customer attendance numbers.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Regarding Mr Hamilton. Did he not have a daughter named Anne? I recall an Anne Hamilton in my class at Ardrossan Academy and I`m more than certain that was her father. Of course I could be wrong. Time passes by.

Frank Brand.
Al in OZ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Al in OZ »

Mr Hamilton had a son called Ian and they lived in Christie Gardens Saltcoats.
Alba gu brath
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

If the pool closed at the end of the season the date would probably be 15th September. I remember it opened on 15th may till 15th September every year. Many is the year I went down early in the morning of 15th May to try and get season ticket No. 1.

Wee Boney
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The bathing pond was used as a fish farm for a time in the 1970s, Michael, so it was presumably closed by the time of this article in 1974 given the scale of the business by then:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 079#p88079

Susan
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

down south wrote:The bathing pond was used as a fish farm for a time in the 1970s, Michael, so it was presumably closed by the time of this article in 1974 given the scale of the business by then:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 079#p88079

Susan
Ah I see Susan, I wasn't aware of that. So from what's been gathered then it does seem fairly likely that the closing date was either mid september 1972, or the same time in 73.