Radio and Early TV - Archives Refers

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Radio and Early TV - Archives Refers

Post by Catherine Belle »

Just finished reading all those great posts about bygone radio and tv shows. Brought back some good memories.
Now, a wee question...what was/is an accumulator? Several posters mentioned having one and how it had to be recharged every week, but nobody explained what it was....at least I don't think they did.
Is this a dumb question? :roll:

Catherine :?
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

I think it was just a large battery like a car battery. I remember having to take ours to Halberts, the garage at the Cross, to be charged :)
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Catherine just looked it up in the dictionary it is something that collects an apparatus for the storage of elecictricty . It was not a dumb question
Maggie
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Catherine it was about half or a third the size of a car battery and you could see through it to the plates I recall. Generally it was used by those who had no electricity - they used it for the electric wireless. You see the gas wireless had not been invented at that time :lol: Dad used it for lighting his hen hoose. There was another accumulator but that was a local betting term.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Thanks Mac, Maggie and Hughie for your replies.
I kinda knew it was a battery of some sort, but I was wondering what it had to do with listening to the radio. I truly can't remember ever seeing an accumulator or hearing the word generated :wink: in conversation.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.