About Kilwinning - Topic for February 2010

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: About Kilwinning - Topic for February 2010

Post by Alexmac442 »

I have been going thru the topic and surprised there is no mention of the Winton Bar? At least I think that was the name of the pub that sat near the station. It was owned and/or run by a lady named Lily who would not allow anyone in unless they were confirmed by some regular as a non catholic!! I was taken there once by a work crew and I distinctly remember her asking "is your friend all right" I had heard of this and this was the confirmation! I think she had a deformed hand. Being told that I was "all right" I had a pint with the guys but I never went back.
Anyone else remember her?
Alex
johnboy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by johnboy »

Hi alex, being a Klwinning lad i remember her well,it is true that she hated the catholics and would,nt let them into the hotel,but also unbeknown to her she served a lot of them.
I for one used to go in there with some of my work mates who were catholics and when she enquired of me if they were ok i just said yes and that was it,even told the lads to tell her they were one of us,because if they told her the truth there would have been terrible trouble,and i would never have been allowed back in.
Her nickname was lilly the pink,because for some reason she always wore it,never ever seen her wearing anything green,I believe she now owns a little restaurant up near the council buildings beside Byers Loch,went there for a meal after my mums funeral,somehow i had a,wee bit of a feeling that her attitude had changed a bit towards them when i was talking to her,she seemed more friendly to every one.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I also remember the stories about " Lily the Pink" even to the extent that, if you asked for the wrong brand of fags you were politely asked to leave. To her credit, I seem to remember on Friday (pay day) she would serve a man in his working clothes a couple of pints and then send him home with his wage packet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
bobfish
Settling In
Settling In

Post by bobfish »

Hello all, my first time posting to the site and I've enjoyed reading other peoples memories and recollections of a town which, up until two years ago, I knew very little about.

I always knew I had a family connection with Kilwinning, my Dad often took time to share stories with me about our Kilwinning family connection as I grew up.

My Great Great Grandfather, James Small, was the brother of Neil Small, who owned the Dirran's Sawmill in Kilwinning.

I know that Neil Small b.1824 married to Mary Ralston b.1822 and they had at least six children, although I'm sure all there children lived to a good age, I understand they never married or had any children of their own.

Their children were:

John Small b. 1848
James Small b.1851
Neil Small b.1853
Elizabeth Small b.1855
Gavin Small b.1857
Maggie Small b.1859

I have seen a photograph of some of the men at the Dirrans sawmill which was published in a book 'Killwinning in old picture postcards' by Roy Lauchlan.

Other than this I know very little about the Dirrans samill - though I understand the Neil Small's timber company was sold or liquidated in the 1980's.

I also know that the family lived in a house called Larchfield up on Pathfoot in Kilwinning (I visited the house two years ago and photographed it from the street).

I'd be interested to learn anything about the family or their life/work in Kilwinning. Or any other details, recollections and memories related to Dirran's sawmill, Pathfoot cottage or Larchfield house.

Regards,

David
I'm not a remarkable person by character, but my sentimental nature makes my life feel remarkable. I don't know where I would be without my sense of sentimentality!
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

little plum wrote: To her credit, I seem to remember on Friday (pay day) she would serve a man in his working clothes a couple of pints and then send him home with his wage packet.
Neil, I think you are getting mixed up with the Railway Bar which was next door to lily's.
It was run by 2 sisters, I think.
Idiot - seeks village.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thought our Kilwinning members might be interested in this a duplicate post, copied from our threetowners' lounge. What a beautiful girl - wonder if she's one of my Kilwinning relatives. :roll:
georgersweir wrote:
Penny Tray wrote:And tell me Canfactory, why is it I cannot find a photo of Miss Una Watt on Google Images? Did you buy up all the copies :lol:?

Incidentally, she was a Kilwinning lassie.
PT, Canfactory forgot about the Evening Times:

ImageImage
johnboy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by johnboy »

Iknew Una Watt as she lived up the road from me in the Woodwynd,she was a lovely looking girl with a wonderfull smile and nature, wish i could see her as she looks now.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I mentioned elsewhere pictures of two Kilwinning beat PCs from the early 1970s, and thought I would include them here for the benefit of any passing Kilwinningite who might remember them.

This first one is PC Ian Hamilton, described as a keen swimmer and motorcycling enthusiast,who hailed originally from Maybole:

And this is PC Robert Morrison, who was actually a Kilwinning man so even more likely to be known to some of you :

Among his hobbies were ten-pin bowling and playing the bagpipes ( ! ), and he was an active member of the local Round Table. Sadly I've been told that by coincidence he died only just recently.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnboy
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by johnboy »

I knew Robert Morrison well,he was a year under me in school,very quiet lad and also big. Last time i seen him was at Howies garage on the Stvenston road,He was sitting in his car when i walked past him, didnt recognise him at first but we had a good wee blether..sorry to hear he has passed on, thanks for that information.
gwennypenny
Settling In
Settling In

Post by gwennypenny »

Can anyone tell me if this burns tavern is 13 Main Street

quote="sweet caroline"]Anyone remember the wool shop on the left of this road,or Cornelius's Greengrocer,believe
also owned Sunnyside Nursery at some time.A little tea room,and the Sweet shop.Right side had a Pub ,then Young's the Gent Outfitters ,wife had a ladies shop next door,then Wilson's the Newsagents,another shop which became a wallpaper and paint shop,then McCrorie's,not sure if 1 or 2 shops before Woodwynd corner.First one at corner was a shoeshop ,and then was a Boutique owed my Dillas Sloan.If you can add or correct anything i've said please do.
Photo added 28.3.2010 More modern view .Kingsway Bar ,now The Buffs Tavern[/quote]
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hi, Gwennypenny. It,s called the "Buffs Tavern" 26 Main Street Kilwinning.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Kilwinning, 26-28 Main Street, Kingsway Bar
Alternative(s) Mason's Howf
Now the Buffs Tavern

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/757305/

SC

edit-https://www.flickr.com/photos/nayesterdays/4381492801/
Think that is the Chinese takeaway on the left.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller