Stevenston Cross and the Red Square date?

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Stevenston Cross and the Red Square date?

Post by Hughie »

I think this would be around the 1980s. Where the library is now I'm told was known as the Red Square.

michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Cross and the Red Square date?

Post by michaelm »

Hi Hughie .. the newest looking building in this photo is "Bonnie Lesley Court" the sheltered housing complex. It's to the far middle right and has a couple of skylight windows on the apex of the roof. I took a short walk along there today to try and find out exactly when it was built but - for security reasons - there's a sign outside warning that uninvited callers will be reported to the police, so I beat a hasty retreat. I had a look online later though and according to one website, it was built in 1990.

Along at the Housing Offices/Library, there's a small plaque inside to commemorate the official opening of the Library building, which was in April 1996, so I think this photo might actually date from between 1990 and 1995.
ebbe_skovdahl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ebbe_skovdahl »

michaelm wrote:Hi Hughie .. the newest looking building in this photo is "Bonnie Lesley Court" the sheltered housing complex. It's to the far middle right and has a couple of skylight windows on the apex of the roof. I took a short walk along there today to try and find out exactly when it was built but - for security reasons - there's a sign outside warning that uninvited callers will be reported to the police, so I beat a hasty retreat. I had a look online later though and according to one website, it was built in 1990.

Along at the Housing Offices/Library, there's a small plaque inside to commemorate the official opening of the Library building, which was in April 1996, so I think this photo might actually date from between 1990 and 1995.
Do you know when the Kwik Save shop next to the Cross Keys opened? Was it after 1995? It's just waste ground in that photo.

Or when the Clydesdale bank closed? It looks like it is still there.

Good to see you today Mick. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I see where you're coming from here Steve, it could narrow down the date of the photo a bit, but at the moment I'm unsure as to the actual year Kwik-Save opened.

The Clydesdale Banks' exact closure date isn't exactly fresh in the memory either, so some further research needed :)
Mick.

p.s. Also good to see yourself the other day.
papaloo
New Poster
New Poster

Post by papaloo »

I think I took this picture in 1991 when the steeple was being renovated.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Lou. I found it on my old XP and can't recall where I got it from, but I thought it was such a great photo I wanted to share it with the forum members. Hope you don't mind. :) I seem to recall there were renovations to the steeple and/or the clock back in the very early sixties - noticed while waiting for the usual last bus from the cross on cauld nights.