Ayrshire Archives !!

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ayrshire Archives !!

Post by Vivc113 »

I wonder how many of you have had the pleasure of visiting Ayrshire Archives??

Situated in Auchincruive, not that far from Mossblown, you may visit by appointment on a Tuesday. The telephone number = 01292 / 521 819. It helps if you can tell them in advance what you may be looking for.

The hours are 0930-1300 hrs, and 1400 to 1600 hours.

So, I went to visit with an older man from the toon. Grand day out it was. We went around Troon, noting all the posh homes with stables near Troon Royal Golf Club, eventually winding up at Auchincruive.

The Archives are situated within the Scottish Agricultural College area. Sad to see some buildings (halls of residence) now disused.

We managed to find plans of the Old Waterworks at Greenhead, detailing all the former buildings. It seems water was filtered through SAND back in time (1960s). And during the 2nd World War, the pipes were above ground, running from Garnock Pumping Station to Greenhead.

We also found that in 1890, a Mrs Helen James was proprietrix of Kerelaw Estate - a lady who came from Bath no less. This may fill in the gap in the mystery before the Solicitor Campbell moved in??

In the 1880's a family called "Veral" have also lived there. So after Gavin Fullarton by the looks of it??

The Archives have voters rolls which go back to 1874. You may use your mobile to record stuff, but they charge £10.00 per day, or you may simply get staff to photocopy stuff for you. I now have copies of the old waterworks buildings, which I am very pleased with indeed. The copies note EVERY building that would have been there, from inspection houses to tanks, etc. Fantastic. :mrgreen:

Image - pic of old building within Auchincruive Estate. Taken January 28th 2014.

Image - pic of WILSON HALL, a former Hall of Residence for agricultural students - now sadly diused. This is a LOVELY building, and it sad the way buildings are just "let go". Taken January 28th 2014.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".