A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by reidsville »

Hello Mike Fitz
Mick Reid here while since I,ve seen your name pop up I think the last time you were on you were in Norway living
Still remember your.e T R 7 probably the first in the town any good to see your name pop up
Cheers Reidsville
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

And that completes our little tour of the east end of town, because coming back down the avenue we arrive on the corner at the old Argyle pub once more, with the Sunset Cafe opposite; where we came in. It's been a particularly good stretch of the Stroll I feel, plenty of audience participation, so thanks to all of you who've been joining in, especially Scott for his expert knowledge.

So where do we go from here ? We've been (almost ) everywhere, and covered ( almost ) everything...So I'll throw it open to you; is there anywhere else in Saltcoats that you would like to visit, or revisit; any important feature or landmark of Saltcoats as it was in and around the 1960s and early 70s that's been missed out ?

In the meantime, here are a couple more outlying businesses we haven't mentioned: Hendry's off-licence in Wheatley Road:
Hendry's Stores.jpg
And the North Garage on Dalry Road; formerly belonging to Mr McCully who also had the West End Garage, but as discussed elsewhere, around 1974 taken over by the people behind the Auto Shopsin Ardrossan and Saltcoats:
Summerfield auto shop.jpg
Susan
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Down south. The stroll around Saltcoats may have come to an end but I'm sure more memorable memories will come to the fore and this topic will continue. While there have been others who have contributed to this over the last 4 years you are the person who did the bulk of the work. No mean feat. I got hooked on 3t's because of the stroll and I've learned more about Saltcoats , my home town, than I ever was aware. So from me a very huge 'Thank you' is the order of the day :) <3
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

I reiterate what MARGB has just posted. An enormous job well done with a lot of time and effort which in this day and age many can ill afford, my congratulations also.

Wee Boney
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Susan

Your Stroll Round 1960s Saltcoats characterises why the ThreeTowners website exists. You have allowed people to share memories and record the history of Saltcoats for future generations for which many will be grateful - congratulations and thanks.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Absolutely agree with the previous posters. I'm sure there will be many, perhaps unborn at this time, who'll enjoy reading this topic. If only our parents and grandparents could have contributed to such a thing as we have been able to do here.

For those sitting back enjoying this popular topic, please consider contributing what knowledge you have of what went before in the three towns - remember, when we're gone so too is that knowledge. :(
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

My thanks too Susan, quite a feat!(for the feet!) and as Hughie said, we should post what we remember WHILE we still remember...how I wish I had my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles write things down. :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Susan a huge thanks for all your work on the Stroll. It is a tremendous piece of work and has sparked so many memories for others. Even the last post re-kindled memories of visiting McCully's garage with my Uncle Pino to fill up with petrol. That is a memory dredged up from over 55 years ago! I am sure that there will be academics who would be very interested in this archive of social history that has been created here.

John
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I thank you too Susan,I have thoroughly enjoyed it all.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

I’ve come to know you as a very modest, easily embarrassed Threetowner who will not really be relishing all the praise currently being heaped in your direction but the magnitude of what you’ve achieved on your ”stroll” is incalculable, made all the more special by the fact that you left Saltcoats at such an early age . Thank goodness you took with you and remembered so fondly as much as you did. The detail you have sometimes been able to provide has been nothing short of phenomenal. And thank goodness for your ‘old telephone directory’ from which so much historical information has been derived, so many recollections confirmed, and several arguments resolved.

Your topic will never fade because additional information will occur to those of us who have been able to contribute, and both present and future members will constantly be drawn to it either by chance or through various word searches.

On other occasions social scientists, historians and academics will jump for joy when the stumble across this monument to your own knowledge and that which you were able to coax from other contributors!

Who would have thought that when you started out that you would generate marginally short of 1,500 replies; 75,000 views and 113 pages of priceless local information.

Sir Alex Ferguson has recently been quoted as saying the two most important words in the English language are “WELL DONE”. This being the case, WELL DONE, WELL DONE and WELL DONE again.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

and you continue to embarrass her..lol! Susan, I hold on to past stuff too, but not like you, my 'stuff' is more sentimental and less instructive, I'm so glad you gleaned on to the phone books etc. AND that you obviously cherished your time in Saltcoats. I'm a bit shamefaced that apart from working there and the main drag and auntie and uncles houses, I kind of took Saltcoats for granted. It was where we shopped for Groceries, went to cafes, cinema etc., Whilst Stevenston will always be home to my heart, Saltcoats is a close second..Ardrossan...weel, it had the red herring wance.. ;)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Wonderful work Susan - thank you for making much of my childhood come alive again! Wee Ali