Ardrossan Academy Primary building

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy Primary building

Post by margb »

Sorry sheenaj. Don't know the answer to that one. I hope you all realize that miss Christie was the leader of the brownies as well as a teacher. I'm one of the lucky ones. I didn't have her. I often wondered if she was the same person at brownies as she was at school. If so, thank goodness for girls brigade!
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

Apparently she transformed into a 'human being' at Brownies,or so my ex classmate Jane told me. So I guess she hated being a teacher-lord knows we hated her being a teacher too :cry:
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

She was my Guide Captain and I didn't stay there long.I mentioned that in an earlier post about Miss Christie.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

I am not religious any more but when I was younger I believed in the power of prayer and all my prayers were answered when for some unknown reason instead of our class moving up to get Miss Christie we moved to Miss Gaul instead ! I had been willing to forgo birthday and christmas presents for 10 years but didn't have to !
She terrified me - just a look from her was enough to give me that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Can still see in my mind the intimidating stare she had - so scary.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I am sure every child who knew her felt the same David.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'm sure every school had at least one. We had a corker at St. Johns and several at St. Mikes, strangely, or maybe not, most were women. If I've repeated this forgive me, one day, a very popular boy, James Clark (went on to some footballing fame of sorts) had been called out for the belt by Sister Brian, he's at least a foot taller than she is, he saunters out, holds out his hand and just as she's about to belt him he pulls his hand away, very casually, like he's going to yawn or brush a fly away..ho hum, what's that? this happened several times the class all snickering but a wee bit scared.. His bravado was brilliant, eventually she just cracked up and sent him back to his seat!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
AnneHM
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnneHM »

Your plan has brought back memories of my time in classrooms 1 - 4 (1948 - 1952) but I also remember a portable 'pre-fab' located outside the main building where the formidable Mrs Blyth taught Class 5s.

down south wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:57 pm Here's my attempt at a little plan that I hope gives some reminder of the inside of the building.

phpy6No59AM.jpg

Five main classrooms on each side. CL are the cloakrooms, all with washbasins; I can smell the green carbolic soap now.

Along the front facing the main school, was the primary hall; there was a partition between that and room 6, which in my day at least was used as a music room; for morning assemblies it was opened so the piano in the room could be used to accompany the hymns. The two doors in the hall were marked 7 and 8, and maybe there was once another partition so that room could be divided for classes as well ?

The quadrangle in the middle of the school had windows all round and a door at each corner; it wasn't used much in my day, I think I only set foot in it about once.

Along the front facing Parkhouse Road were three or four little rooms used for storage, staffrooms etc, and above them halfway along the corridor was a big clock.

The front doors on that side were double doors; there was a front step, a stout green-painted outside door, and then an inner door with a glass upper part, with a quite big porch in between. Nearly twenty of us girls once concealed ourselves , in costume, in one of them , to emerge and surprise the boys of our class with a play we'd been rehearsing while they went to Woodwork classes...

Above the two doors were carved " Boys " and " Girls " respectively. That plan of the two entering separately was long out of date by my day, but on my first day at school I didn't know that and almost refused to go in with the others at the " BOYS Door " !

Susan
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

AnneHM, we may have been in school together. those were the years I was in Primary. I was Netta Grant, some others in my class were Glenda Inglis, Alison Stewart, Murray Baird, Ian Douglas, Philip Taylor, Hessey Geddes and Isobel Ralston, Ruth Wilson.
I also landed in Miss Christie’s class and hated her.
Stew
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stew »

Hello all, I've just joined the Forum. Stewart Lawson, my older sister Sandra (White) is in NZ.

I was subjected to Miss Christie in about 1954/5.

I remember she carried her bike up the steps on wet days or maybe every day. I don't think we ever let her tyres down - too feart!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Stew wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:22 pm Hello all, I've just joined the Forum. Stewart Lawson, my older sister Sandra (White) is in NZ.

I was subjected to Miss Christie in about 1954/5.

I remember she carried her bike up the steps on wet days or maybe every day. I don't think we ever let her tyres down - too feart!
A warm welcome to the 3ts Stewart - looking forward to reading your posts.

Meg
AnneHM
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnneHM »

I started in Miss Miller's class in 1949, followed by Miss Forrest - and then to the fearsome Mrs Blyth in a classroom in a temporary 'prefab' between the primary and secondary buildings.