STEVENSTON CHURCHYARD

For those researching family in the three towns area.
marieesther
New Poster
New Poster

STEVENSTON CHURCHYARD

Post by marieesther »

Hi, hope someone on this board can help me. My g.g. aunt died in
1855 and is recorded as being buried in Stevenston
churchyard. Can anyone tell me where this is located
and how I would go about confirming whether this is true.
She was RC and I dont know whether there was an RC church/graveyard/community in the town.

Thanks Marie
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Marie,

Welcome to threetowners :)
I'm unaware of any Catholic Churchyard burial ground in the district. In Stevenston there is the High Church burial Ground - might be worth checking for her name HERE. The only other burial ground at that time in Stevenston would have been the New Street Cemetery. Records of burials there are available through the Local History Department at Ardrossan Library. Contacts there are: Jill McColl and Elizabeth Bell, the email address is: naheritage@north-ayrshire.gov.uk
Their holdings can be found at: http://www.rootsweb.com/~sctayr/northayr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you get her death certificate for 1855 you'll find that that year was very special for Scottish birth, deaths and marriage certificates. So much information was recorded in that the first year of official registrations.
Last edited by Hughie on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterbird12000
New Poster
New Poster

Post by peterbird12000 »

Hi Marie
It is more than likely she would be buried in the old cemetary in New St.
at that sort of date. As Hugh says it was 1855, the first year of registration in Scotland the the death certificate which should contain lots of information. The cemetary book may be held at Ardrossan Library Headquarters (Princes St) with Jill McColl(Hugh gave the email address). Copy of cert is available via http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Peter
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

family roots in Ardrossan

Post by harrysteell »

Hello all at the forum, I tried our reaearch page on the board earlier this year, with no success, but was referred by Hughie to the Adrossan librarys family search unit, I am glad to say I have had great success with the staff, who supplied me with family records going back to 1808, I also had the 1851, 1861 ,1871,1881, and 1901 censuses, I was very please with what they sent me, and I think it only cost £15, wich I thought was good value for money, I hope this will encourage others to take this path, and of course there is the registry office at Ardrossan, e-mail adress is, jkimmett@north-ayrshire.gov.uk they hold most b.d.m. records for Ardrossan, saltcoats, and Stevenston, good luck, Harry.

Re: STEVENSTON CHURCHYARD

Post by Guest »

I have this exact same question about my 3x great grandfather who died in 1868. His obituary says he was buried in Stevenston churchyard. He was not Catholic, most likely Church of Scotland though he was an elder in the Relief Church, whatever that was. I am coming to Scotland in September and would very much like to find his grave, if possible.
Sorry to jump on this post, i can't see how to post in my own right1
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The only church burials in Stevenston I'm aware of are those in the High Kirk. See here for names of those buried there.

You may also wish to get in touch with the North Ayrshire Council's family history centre which is located Irvine. Their holdings and contact details can be found on their website: https://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/leisu ... story.aspx

Perhaps others my have further suggestions.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Here's another link where you'll find information.

https://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/birth ... etery.aspx
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)