How Bonnie Leslie came about

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

How Bonnie Leslie came about

Post by sweet caroline »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangefiel ... h_Ayrshire

Us Scots did get aboot :lol:

Sweet Caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: How Bonnie Leslie came about

Post by calleytwo »

Yer no wrang. Mah great grandmother wis a Baillie and although mah great grandfather, James McAllister was a handsome man from the daguerreotype we have of him I don’t know whether his wife had any of the beauty of her distant relative. Wee Ali
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, Sweet Caroline, Pease,please, please tell me that your post was "tongue-in-cheek", a wind-up, in fact. I'm sitting here after a few beers .I must admit, and thinking to myself that nobody takes Wikipedia seriously and so I assume that you don't. I'm also thinking that rather a few "Stinsonians" would be offended at the casual mention of Lesley, Who is something of a celebrity in "dinnamit-toon". I feel I should refer you to a book written by local author Elizabeth Garret on the subject of Mayville House (situated on old High Rd Stevenston) the birthplace of "Bonnie Lesley" which is a good read. Also, elsewhere in 3T's there is a post re Mayville House being up for sale-check that out.Hope all will forgive this "tongue-in cheek" post as i'm definitrly feeling the effects of the beers now. Cheers (hic!), A.B.
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, all, Was in the car park opposite the "Champion Shell" in Stinson on Monday night and came across a plaque relating to the said boozer, which I'd heard had been erected by the International and Cultural Agency (hope I got that right). I'd been told about the plaque previously, but thought it was a wind-up until I read it. After a bit about the pub's history it states that "Rabbie Burns might have had a drink here when visiting Mayville House". no those exact words, but not open to interpretation either. Almost makes me want to put a plaque on my house saying " elvis Might have had a cup of tea here if he'd ever been in sunny Ardrossan". Mind you, if our regular poster Elvis reads this,there's an open invitation to come for a tea (or coffee) so's I'll be justified in my claim. Cheers, A.B.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Actually the statement "may" is probably more problematic than the actuality. Oor Boy wis a boozer and a philanderer so its doubtful if he passed the door of any tavern on his journey. With the proviso that he was also broke maist of the time but even then wid have talked his way intae a gless wi' a poem or a song (dirty or otherwise - he wis certainly a lad!) Wee Ali
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, Wee Ali, Ah cannae fawt yir logic, freen. Cheers, A.B.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Vernacular is creeping in here guys, - have a read at the guidelines for posting in the threetowners lounge (click on link at the top of this topic).

As the heidie says - without malice :wink:

Meg
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/21 ... eld+house/

SC

Edit-nameLessley BailiegenderFemalechristening date07 Mar 1768christening placeSTEVENSTON,AYR,SCOTLANDbirth date06 Mar 1768birthplacedeath datename noteracefather's nameBailiefather's birthplacefather's agemother's namemother's birthplacemother's ageindexing project (batch) numberC11615-2
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Sorry SC, dont know what the link to Orangefield House has to do with the last post on the topic? Maybe use the quote feature if you want to tie your link into an earlier comment.

Meg
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Meg wrote:Vernacular is creeping in here guys, - have a read at the guidelines for posting in the threetowners lounge (click on link at the top of this topic).

As the heidie says - without malice :wink:

Meg
Sorry Meg - did not read that wee annex to the rules. I stand politically corrected and will not offend again. Alistair
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Alba 43 wrote

"Hi, Sweet Caroline, Pease,please, please tell me that your post was "tongue-in-cheek", a wind-up, in fact. ]

More Devils Advocate .I was looking for more actual history.Hughie's post was the best although we could not read were it came from for ourselves.Would like to know what Robert Baillie did for a living,to afford that lovely house :mrgreen: Also where they were going in England.Where they met Robert Burns and so forth .Mr Dunlop of Mayfield?

http://archive.org/details/thelettersofrobe09863gut

SC
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

ve quite a lot of Lesley's family history. Can't remember much about it now, but will reread it and pass on to you any info I can glean.The current owner of the house is a close acquaintance of mine, so I'll see what Tom can tell me (maybe persuade him to post on this site!) Anyway, will get back to you soon. Regards, A.B.