Canal Street, Saltcoats

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Canal Street, Saltcoats

Post by Penny Tray »

Whether facing towards Saltcoats town centre or Stevenston I'm not sure. But someone from Saltcoats will tell me, no doubt.

http://www.iandalgleish.co.uk/mil/arc/saltcoats18.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Canal Street, Salcoats

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi PT, I think it is just by the Red Building at the foot of Gutherie Brae ,looking towards Saltcoats.The Building that is set back on the right is still there today. Sam.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Canal Street, Salcoats

Post by John Donnelly »

This is facing towards the station. The photo was taken just about the junction with Guthrie Rd.
The shop on the right with the woman standing in the doorway is the store which is still there today.
The cottages just further down on the same side is where my mother lived as a girl.

JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Canal Street, Saltcoats

Post by Penny Tray »

Wellpark/JD,

Is this where Alan Drever had a wee shop at one time?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi PT, Allan Dreaver may have had a shop there,but I remember Allan 's shop right opposite Terry Erskine's shop just on the bend.I think Allan or his wife moved to the new shop in just about the same area, Sam.
borlanddj
New Poster
New Poster

Post by borlanddj »

Hi

Not sure if anyone is following this thread now, but I was interested in this photo as my grandfather, Thomas Borland lived at 64 Canal Street in 1911 census and was living there on his marriage at 18 in 1917. My father, also Thomas Borland was born in Seabank Street, just around the corner. The postal address of the Chineese take away is now 64 and i wonder if anyone can shed some light on the numbers of the houses in the photo and perhaps today as the big red building at the bottom of Gutherie Rd was built in 1906. - thanks
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

borlanddj, the red sandstone building has the date of 1906 above each door entrance. The address is no 74 and 76 Canal street. If you look at the image I've posted, the building past the Chinese take away has the address number of 56. To go from 56 to 74 would suggest that there was a substantial building on the site of the Chinese take away, it makes you wonder what happened to the building to warrant it's complete removal.

Canal St.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons