Threetowners School music classes

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Threetowners School music classes

Post by Hughie »

Looking back. What were the songs that were your favourites during music classes when you were at school?

For me one tune I couldn't get out of my head included the words by a cabin boy on a sinking ship. "I've a father a mother in old London? town and tonight they will weep for me". Been trying to play it on my moothie - sounds like a Geordie tune to me. Anyone know the title?

So can you recall the songs you sang with gusto back then during your school's music classes?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners School music classes

Post by hahaya2004 »

I think you mean "The Mermaid", Hughie.

http://www.singup.org/songbank/song-ban ... e-mermaid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I think Penny Tray mentioned Fanny Watters repertoire that was burned into the brain of anyone who attended her music classes - songs including Hearts of Oak, Soldier Soldier, John Brown's Body, Mingulay Boat Song (maybe that was Mrs McDougall at the academy) Marie's Wedding and Bobby Shaftoe.

I am sure there are tons more - come on PT - get with the music :-)

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I've not long ago elsewhere on-site remembered lots of the Scots songs we sang at the Academy with Mrs McDougall. Here's a couple more good rousing ones: The Campbells are Coming and My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean.

On a quieter ( and less Scottish ) note, I rather liked Shenandoah:

Oh Shenandoah, I long to hear you
Away, you rolling river;
Oh Shenandoah, I long to hear you;
Away I'm bound to go
'Cross the wide Missouri.

And here's one that should chime with Hughie and all our Aussie readers :in primary school we used to sing that famous Australian ditty Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree a lot; a Round of course, like Frere Jacques ( which we also sang ).

Susan
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I remember Miss Waters at Eglington school, and our class trying to sing frere Jacques. She would have half the class start the song, then a few Bars later the rest of the class would join in singing the same words the first lot had already sung. I don't know what you call this kind of singing but I would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to what could only be a terrable noise. Nobody knew what they were singing about as it was in french. I remember it sounded like, Frery jacko, frery jacko stormy vou stormy vou and so on. I think miss Waters must have done this just to get a good laugh.
George F
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Full words for Frere Jacques, with translation:

Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques ( Brother Jacques );
Dormez-vous, dormez-vous ? ( Are you asleep ? )
Sonnez les matines, sonnez les matines ( Ring the bell for matins )
Ding dang dong, ding dang dong.

It's the most famous example of its type of song,known as a ROUND, where different groups start off at different points singing the same melody, but it all SHOULD still end up as a harmonious sound.... :wink:

Strangely enough, I never remember our classes' singing coming out too badly; maybe it's just me looking back through rose-tinted spectacles ( or should that be earphones ? ), or maybe it's a tribute to our primary music teacher Mrs Mc Dougall that she had even the boys well enough trained and on-side to not make too much of a racket . At least, in music classes; attempts at hymn-singing with our regular class teachers weren't always so well-supported, though just not joining in, or singing " unofficial " versions, was the most common fault there.

Susan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

A song that Fanny Watters taught our class was"The Laird Of Cockpen"
I had n't heard it since leaving school, until a short time ago I was at a concert and it was sung by a guest singer who was seated at my table for supper. He was surprised to learn that I had learned it at school.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I remember her at Ardeer primary when she came on school visits at certain times.The one thing that sticks in my mind, was of her sitting at the piano like a white Winifred Atwell, banging away on the keys, singing
Taffa tiffy, taffa tiffy, taffa tiffy taff, and so on.
Idiot - seeks village.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I remember Mrs Watters at Eglinton - a stout, corsetted lady in brogues who lived in West Kilbride and considered us socially inferior. She is the only teacher I can recall with that attitude. I remember she produced an operetta of Cinderella which she wanted our class to sing as an end of year production. There was no doubt who would sing Cinderella - Mary Thompson was by far the best singer - but me and another guy (I can't remember his name) were selected to compete for the role of Prince Charming. As we went off to audition Mary whispered, 'I hope you get it.' Since Mary was also the prettiest girl in the class, such encouragement meant the guy had no chance and I got the part. Apparently, before my voice broke, I sang like an angel: after it broke I became a frog and have remained one ever since. Unfortunately Mrs Watters went off sick and nothing came of the production. A shame because Prince Charming gets to kiss Cinderella in the last scene.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Meekan, Bobby and I often recite the words of Laird of Cockpen, to see who has the best memory. Bobby always wins. But I have never heard it sung.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Netta,
I don't know if this will work or not but but the link below is to Kenneth McKellar singing it.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Angus
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jean Redpath does a good version, but here's Kenneth McKellar.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis