McKenzie (Feb 2001)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

McKenzie (Feb 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001

The Herald has received a letter from a woman in Australia who is anxious to find out more about her Scottish heritage.

Janet Lee (nee McKenzie) of Victoria, Australia told us that her grandfather, John Douglas McKenzie (1861 - 1951), was brought up in Ardrossan, but apparently never talked much about his family.

Having started out as an apprentice carpenter on the Clyde, John ran away at an early age. According to his granddaughter, he spent a lot of time sailing the seas, and ended up in Australia.

In her letter Mrs Lee says: "I think he must have been the black sheep of the family - he was very close-mouthed. He settled in Adelaide, married and had a daughter. But the marriage did not last and he later married my grandmother, Elizabeth Moncrieff, with whom he had three sons, the youngest being my father."

The Ardrossan based McKenzie family was a large one, as far as Janet knows. She believes that John's father was involved in the church, and that he had a sister named Janet. This is all the information she has.

She says: "I've no doubt that my grandfather was a devil of a child, and I heard that he never improved. He ended up as a shipwright in Williamstown, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. Dad said he made grown men cry when they consulted with him!

"I would be so grateful for any help in finding out more about this side of my family."

Anyone who has information on the McKenzie family, or who thinks they could help, should contact The Herald's editorial department on (01294) 607517 or at Herald Street, Ardrossan, Ayrshire KA22 8BX.

Hugh McCallum

To: "Hue Mcallum" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001

I knew Joan McKenzie from Ardrossan her fathers name was Archie. She came from a big family I think there was fifteen of them. They lived in Rowan side terr Maybe its of some help...
Margaret Gemmell
P.S Hue Mrs McKenzies niece is Joe Giffneys wife .. Christine Porter

Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001

Margaret regards Ardrossan McKenzie's, around 1971 at Melbourne Airport I met Jim McKenzie from Ardrossan and his wife Peggy (Mathieson) from Saltcoats. They were migrating to Tasmania with their young family. I'm told they later moved to Western Australia. Jim's brothers and sisters were Janette, Isobel, May, David and Ian. Their father was known as 'Big Guy' and was a mate of my father. Jim was Dux at Eglinton school in his day and I recall them living in Central Avenue.

Another McKenzie in Oz was from the Castle Road family that lived across from Gallagher's shop. I can't remember the girls name but was introduced to her in Sydney around 1967 when we dropped in to say hello to former Stevenston Councillor Willie Martin - she was married to Willie's son. At that time I think Willie Martin was the superintendent at an orphanage in Blacktown - though I could be wrong about the suburb. He originally had a general store doon the bottom end of Stevenston before coming to Oz.

Anyone else meet up with folks from the three towns while overseas?

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001

The mention of "Ian McKenzie" below rang a bell (well more of a tinkle) as I recall there was an Ian McKenzie in my class at Eglinton School prior to our emigrating to N.Z. in 1963 - I was 12+ at the time. Would it be the same person ?

Unfortunately I can't remember much about him other than the name. Regrettably, the same goes for most of my other former classmates from Eglinton other than two I met again on my one & only return visit in 1974.

Bob Bryden

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001

Hue
The family of McKenzies you mention stayed across from us in Kirkhall drive (am I going back??) I remember with fondness David when he was so young. His Mum onced yelled like mad out their front door... for him to get hame and while we (myself oor Danny and James) looked out our window we could see David hiding behind oor dike(for those Aussie.. a wee brick wall) and he was drinking the condensed milk from the hole he had punctured in the can with a fork He seemed so brave to me at the time because he totally ignored his mam.
My would I have loved a sook of the can!!!!
Margaret