Stevenston - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
12 JULY 1915

Died on service, Sergeant CHARLES McDONALD, 4th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers – Theatre of war, Gallipoli – husband of Mrs McDonald; and son-in-law of Mr John and Mrs Elizabeth Frew, 48 New Street, Stevenston.

The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald subsequently reported: -

“Last week we reported the death of Sergeant Charles McDonald, 4th Royal Scots Fusiliers.

In a letter to deceased’s father-in-law, Mr Frew, Sergeant Major R. B. Lockhart, of Saltcoats, writes: -

“I am sorry to tell you that we lost Charles on the 12th of this month. We had a very desperate engagement on that month, a lost a good few. I think Charles was struck by a bit of shrapnel shell somewhere about the leg, and we could not get to him in time to save his life. All the Company mourn for him. He was one of the most daring and efficient N.C.O.s in our Battalion. I assure you that you and Mrs McDonald have the entire sympathy of the whole Battalion.

We were ordered to attack about 7.30 o’clock, and previous to that we had about two hours of a terrific bombardment by our artillery. We advanced and did our job successfully, and I think Charlie was pinned just as we reached our object.

I don’t think the Turks will last long here, as they appear to be ‘fed up’ and want to surrender, but Mr German Officer drives them on. I have seen some of the sticks and whips that are used for the purpose, and I would not like to be struck by them.”
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
12 JULY 1915

Died on service, Private ROBERT MURRAY, (22), 1ST Battalion Gordon Highlanders – Theatre of war, Gallipoli – son of Duncan Murray, 17 Glebe Street, Stevenston.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
12 JULY 1915

Corporal JAMES PATERSON, (26), Royal Scots Fusiliers - Theatre of war, Gallipoli – son of Mr and Mrs Peter Paterson, Kilwinning; husband of Margaret D. McGill (formerly Paterson), 11 Station Square, Stevenston.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
12 JULY 1915

Sergeant Piper JOHN THOMSON, 5th Battalion Highland Light Infantry – Theatre of war, Gallipoli - born at Stevenston.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
12 JULY 1880

ARDEER BOWLING TOURNAMENT

At ten o’clock on Saturday morning six couples took their places on the turf at Ardeer. A good deal of interest was taken in all the games, and the attendance increased hour by hour, the fine weather doubtless tending to attract many visitors, as well as the well known qualifications of the players.

After fifth, six, and seventh round ties, the tie for first and second place ended: -

W. A., Ardeer (£20) 21 – J. Muir, Dalry (£10) 19.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

WAR CASUALTIES 12 JULY 1915

Must have been a horrendous battle at Gallipolli on that day. Such a large number of deaths.
My grandmother's first husband was wounded on 12th July but died of his wounds in Alexandria on 17th August

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WIKIPEDIA
GALLIPOLI JULY 12, 1915

A force of 7,500 soldiers from the 155th and 157th Brigades of the British 52nd Division attacked the centre of the line along Achi Baba Nullah ("Bloody Valley") on the Peninsula. The assault gained very little ground and resulted in 2,500 casualties, along with 600 from the Royal Naval Division and 800 men from a supporting French Unit.

The Ottoman Empire had 9,000 casualties and 600 prisoners.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
13 JULY 1883

SERIOUS CHARGE AGAINST A PUBLICAN

WILLIAM McCRONE, publican, Stevenston, was arrested on a Sheriff’s Warrant charged with subornation of perjury in connection with a breach of public house certificate recently disposed of at Saltcoats J.P. Court.

It appears that McCrone was charged with a breach of certificate, and the case was found not proven. Subsequent statements, however, led to an investigation, the result being the arrest of McCrone.

After examination before the Sheriff at Kilmarnock on Wednesday he was admitted to bail.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
13 JULY 1888

STEVENSTON - VITAL STATISTICS

The registrar’s quarterly return shows – Births, 4; and Deaths, 25.

It is noticeable that of those who died there was a large proportion males, namely 18, the remaining 7 being female.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
13 JULY 1915

Died on service, Private DAVID BLADES, (27), 2nd Battalion Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders – Theatre of war, France and Flanders – son of Margaret McWhinnie or Blades, 35 Moorpark Road, Stevenston.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

madge wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:47 pm WAR CASUALTIES 12 JULY 1915

Must have been a horrendous battle at Gallipolli on that day. Such a large number of deaths.
My grandmother's first husband was wounded on 12th July but died of his wounds in Alexandria on 17th August

Madge
Madge,

This, I believe, is the death on service to which you refer: -

DATE: 17 August, 1915.
NAME: David Grant.
REGIMENT: 4th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers.
SERVICE No. 8583.
ARRIVAL IN THEATRE OF WAR: 6 June, 1915.
LINK TO AYRSHIRE: Born at Kilmarnock; Enlisted at Kilwinning.
THEATRE OF WAR: Gallipoli.
BURIED AT: Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Grave K11.
CAMPAIGN MEDALS: 1914-1915 Star; British War Medal; Victory Medal.
COMMENTS: Husband of Annie Haire, Bridgend, Kilwinning.

The information was contained in my late brother's World War 1 notes, but previously passed over by me, because, for the purpose of this site, there is no reference to any of the Threetowns. Hopefully, there is some information above which is of interest to you and which you were not previously aware of.

Incidentally, if there is any Threetowns link, either through David or your grandmother, it would be nice to have it, and I could maybe acknowledge David's death again come 17 August, in the same way I've been doing with others.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
14 JULY 1874

DEATH

At Stevenston, on the 13th instant, in the 85th year of her age, Ann Scott, relict of William Boyle, writer, Kilwinning.