Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

meekan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am Wondering if this field is what Coalhill Place is named after?
Meekan,

I posted this item under ARDROSSAN only because the town was specifically mentioned, but my gut feeling was that the "field of coal," albeit near Ardrossan Harbour, would be in Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning or Irvine. I cannot recall many, if any posts, describing coal being mined in Ardrossan.

Coalhill Place, I've always assumed, would be called after the farm by that name, as would the adjacent Boydston Road and Montfode Drive.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 APRIL 1882

ARDROSSAN SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION

To afford the twelve candidates for School Board honours an opportunity of expressing their views, a meeting was held in the Town Hall, Ardrossan, on Wednesday evening, which was largely attended.

Mr. J. L. Bailey, banker, presided; and six of the aspirants put in an appearance and delivered addresses, viz: -

Rev. Alexander Cross, Doctor Marshall, Messrs Kirkhope, Fullarton, Boyd, and Morrison.

The contest takes place on Tuesday first, and will be a very keen one.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 APRIL 1909

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Mr. James Hogarth and family return sincere thanks for the many kind expressions of sympathy in their recent sad bereavement – Clutha Villa, Ardrossan.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

[/quote]

Meekan,

I posted this item under ARDROSSAN only because the town was specifically mentioned, but my gut feeling was that the "field of coal," albeit near Ardrossan Harbour, would be in Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning or Irvine. I cannot recall many, if any posts, describing coal being mined in Ardrossan.

PT
I don’t think Earl of Eglinton would have any land In Saltcoats or Stevenston because the land there belonged to the Earl of Glencairn(bitter enemies). However I am pretty sure I read a booklet which was about coal mining in the three towns and Ardrossan was mentioned as having several mines. Kilwinning in those days couldn’t be considered near Ardrossan Harbour.
[/quote]
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 am GLASGOW HERALD
16 APRIL 1904

THE KILBIRNIE MURDER CASE

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court yesterday – before Sheriff Mackenzie – JOSEPH CALABRESE, ice cream vendor, Kilbirnie, was examined on a charge of murdering his wife and four children in his home in Kilbirnie on Thursday.

On the advice of his agent, Mr. Hastings, Ardrossan, Calabrese did not make any statement. He betrayed no sign of excitement, and did not appear to realise the gravity of his position.

He was conveyed to Ayr by the midday train.
Quite a horrific complicated case this. You would think JOSEPH CALABRESE would have hanged but he received a life sentence. According to www. Flickr.com

The scene of a tragic event in Craighouse Square, Kilbirnie.

In 1904 Joseph Calabrese was tried and convicted in the High Court in Glasgow, of the murder of his wife and four children in the family home in Craighouse Square, Kilbirnie.

He murdered his wife, Jessie Calabrese and children, Minnie, Lucinda, Thomas and John, with an axe, above his ice-cream shop on the night of 13th April.

The following day he turned himself in to local Police, accompanied by his brother, Alexander.

His wife, a heavy drinker, had pawned her wedding ring for liquor, and taunted her husband continually, repeatedly telling him that the children were not his.

The jury found him guilty in July 1904, but made a unanimous recommendation to mercy. A special defence of insanity had been intimated. Witnesses testified to the drunken lifestyle of his wife and there were allegations of her infidelity, all of which it was argued had contributed to the gradual mental breakdown of Mr. Calabrese.

He was sentenced to death and held in prison in Ayr pending his execution, scheduled for 26th July 1904. Three days before the date of execution the Secretary of State for Scotland commuted the sentence to life imprisonment.

The respite was well received in the town, as the public had no appetite for a capital sentence. At the time there had not been an execution in Ayr in over 50 years.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

meekan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am I am pretty sure I read a booklet which was about coal mining in the three towns and Ardrossan was mentioned as having several mines. Kilwinning in those days couldn’t be considered near Ardrossan Harbour.
Meekan, the booklet was probably “The Finest Place for a Lasting Colliery” published by the AANHS.
It shows the Coal Hill on the cover, together with the words “Coal Hill – 3 miles 7 furlongs from Saltcoats”.
Inside, there are references to it, which state it was in Ardrossan, and belonged to the Earl of Eglinton:

“Other collieries which were shipping coal for export were to be found at Coalhill Ardrossan,…..”
Coal Hill 1.png
(COALHILL from Eglinton Estate Plan Book 1789)

It was described in 1855 as:
“A steep prominent hill of rocky pasture the property of the Earl of Eglinton.”

Coalhill farm was/is just south of it.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 APRIL 1882

ARDROSSAN SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION

The approaching contest is likely to be keen, several of the candidates being actively engaged canvassing.

On Thursday night a large meeting of ratepayers was held in the Good Templars Hall, Saltcoats – Mr. J. L. Bailey presiding.

Addresses were given by Messrs Cross, Kirkhope, Fullarton, Morrison, and Boyd.

The action of the old Board was fiercely criticised by the new candidates.

In reply to questions the candidates expressed readiness to meet the ratepayers annually, and also publish a more detailed abstract of account.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 APRIL 1902

DEATH

ALEXANDER: At Loup, Ardrossan, on the 20th instant, Agnes MacKnight, widow of Archibald Alexander of Boydstone, Deputy Director General of Hospitals, and daughter of the late William Crawfurd of Cartsburn.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 APRIL 1908

NORTH AYRSHIRE LICENSING COURT

The annual Licensing Court for North Ayrshire was held at Kilwinning yesterday – Mr. D. Russell, Maulside, Dalry, presiding.

Ten o’clock was again fixed as the hour for closing, and the Court resolved to grant all applications for renewal en bloc, with the exception of those which had police remarks opposite them.

It was stated that Arthur W. Syme, Station Hotel, Ardrossan, encouraged visitors on the premises after the closing hour, and had stated that stewards were good customers, and he sometimes asked them to remain as his guests.

An agent gave an assurance that the practice would stop, and the license was granted.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 APRIL 1924

AMBULANCE COMPETITION AT AYR

The first competition for the Walker Cup between teams drawn from the sections of the St. Andrew’s Ambulance Corps in the county of Ayr was held in the drill hall of the Royal Field Artillery at Ayr.

The arbiters were Doctor Sloan, Ayr – general knowledge; Doctor Macrae, Drongan – practical; and Doctor Brand, Ayr – transport of injured.

The results and marks gained out of a possible of 300 were: - Newton-on-Ayr, 286; Troon, 282; Ardrossan, 269; Girvan, 257; Hurlford, 256; Annbank, 232; and Prestwick, 219.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 APRIL 1939

A.R.P. CLASS FOR AYRSHIRE MINISTERS

An A.R.P. (Air Raid Precautions) class for ministers of the Irvine and Kilmarnock Presbytery has now been formed under the auspices of the St. Andrew’s Ambulance Association, and meets on Tuesday forenoons in Princes Street Church Hall, Kilmarnock.

The lecturer is the Rev. William MacIntyre, of Princes Street Church, convenor of the Presbytery’s Committee on National Service.

It is expected that Mr. MacIntyre will shortly conduct a similar class for the ministers of the Ardrossan Presbytery.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

hahaya2004 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:15 pm
Meekan, the booklet was probably “The Finest Place for a Lasting Colliery” published by the AANHS.
It shows the Coal Hill on the cover, together with the words “Coal Hill – 3 miles 7 furlongs from Saltcoats”.
Inside, there are references to it, which state it was in Ardrossan, and belonged to the Earl of Eglinton:

“Other collieries which were shipping coal for export were to be found at Coalhill Ardrossan,…..”

Thanks for confirming that for me hahaya2004 my memory still works sometimes

[/quote]