Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by hahaya2004 »

Have a look at this post Margaret. You can see it on Scott's map.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12634&p=128585&hili ... we#p128585
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Thank you
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 JANUARY 1900

PRESENTATIONS TO MINISTER

The members of the West U.P. Church, Saltcoats, presented their minister Rev. J. Brand Scott, who has accepted a call to Hawick, with a handsome gold watch and albert. The presentation was made by Mr. John Armour, preses of the church.

Mr. James Scott presented a large framed photograph of the session on behalf of that body, and the Bible class gave a mantelpiece clock and ornaments, Mr. R. McKillop making the presentation.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 JANUARY 1903

DEATH

COWIE: At Cluny Villa, Saltcoats, on the 18th instant, Martha (Patty), in her fifth year, only and beloved child of Robert and Martha Cowie.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
20 JANUARY 1905

DEATH

MILLER: At Newington Cottage, Saltcoats, on the 19th instant, Edward John, second son of the late Gavin Miller, of 10 Windsor Terrace, Kelvinside.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

The discussion about Rocky Knowe has taken place here on a few occasions and no definite answer has ever been arrived at. I always thought of it as the wee park between Reid Terrance, Parkend Road and Guthrie Brae but old records show the address for Saltcoats Victoria's park as Rocky Knowe. My grandfather said that at this time - between 1911 and 1936 - they played near the public park between Kerr Avenue and Millar Road (though neither existed at the time)
The time frame for the housing development mentioned above would seem to add a bit of credibility to this as the housing at Kerr Avenue, Townhead Road, Smith Drive etc was built about 1937.
I hope someone else can shed a bit of light on this - maybe if we could get a street map from the 1920s.
Scott McCallum
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I couldn't find a 1920s map but there was quite a bit of building going on around the park between 1909 and 1937.
1909:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/75494342

1937:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/82863078
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I don't know why, but I've always believed that Brewery Park was on the opposite side of Canal Street from the Brewery itself, adjacent to a building called ROCKVALE (ultimately the site of the Maple Leaf Hotel). If I'm right, the railway line, when built, cut the park in two.

It's also the area, of course, upon which houses called Rockypark Court were built.

The area of land I'm thinking about is shown as a plain rectangle on old maps on the following link: -

https://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townmap463.html
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
21 January 1901

COURT OF SESSION – POLLOCK v. POLLOCK

Proof was led before Lord Low in an action of divorce by Jessie McLaren or Pollock, Elmbank Cottage, Broxburn, against her husband WILLIAM POLLOCK, believed to be furth of Scotland.

The pursuer, (26), in a reply to her agent, Mr. A. M. Anderson, said she was married to the defender on 12 August, 1892, at Shotts. He was an agent of the Prudential Insurance Company, but hardly made sufficient income to keep his wife and child.

After two years her father took her home again, and for two more years she lived with her parents at Shotts without seeing the defender.

On a visit to Saltcoats she met the defender, who told her he was working as a tailor in Ardrossan. He had saved £13, but had spent it all. He promised to do better and take up house, but he disappeared, and she had not seen him since.

The pursuer had made inquiries without finding any trace of him.

Other witnesses were examined and decree was granted.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

You are right for Brewery Park, Penny Tray, but that was Saltcoats Vics first park and was abandoned in about 1899 when the team went out of existence for a while. The park that I'm talking about was their second ground from about 1911 to 1936 sometimes called Victoria Park in Rocky Knowe.
You can see film from there on the celebrations of Saltcoats quatercentenerary - youngsters athletic competitions etc. I just don't know where exactly it was?
Scott McCallum
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Brewey Park

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
22 JANUARY 1886

DEATH

JACK: At Myrtle Bank, Saltcoats, on the 21st instant, aged 73 years, James Jack.