Not good news - Photobucket

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Not good news - Photobucket

Post by Hughie »

Photobucket sent me and thousands and thousands of others an email today saying they want $399.99 a year to reinstate 3rd party hosting on our board's forums. Images on our forum hosted with them are now showing. This:

It will take time to replace many of the images and host them on our own server - we now have the space we never had in the past. I'll go through the forums that matter leaving my initials in the first post of topics that require attention, this will aid search and replace (see end of this post). Thumbnail images don't seem to be effected at the moment.

If you come across one of your own posts that fall into this category, hit edit and add my initial to the end - like on this post.

This will effect many communities. Wonder if they got this idea from the latest Ransomware attacks. :evil:

hmc
Last edited by Hughie on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Not good news - Photobucket

Post by down south »

I got that e-mail too but I'm afraid I didn't appreciate what it was referring to.

It's going to create a huge amount of work for you, Hughie, so let me say straight away that I'll make myself responsible for all my own postings, of which there are only too many, beginning with all the Ardrossan Academy photos; I've already made a start on those.

Does this mean that we should display all pictures as attachments from now on, or would you still prefer non-Three Towns ones to be hosted on some alternative like Imgur ?

Susan
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Anything to get an extra buck out of someone.

Did not receive this e-mail so far.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

down south wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:46 pm Does this mean that we should display all pictures as attachments from now on, or would you still prefer non-Three Towns ones to be hosted on some alternative like Imgur ?
Hi Susan, I'm happy for any images relating to the three towns being uploaded as attachments using our system - that way we will always have control and back-ups of our own images. Like before images unrelated to the three towns can be hosted on a site like Imgur.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I don't recall ever using Photobucket to post pics on Threetowners. Think when I first joined I may have posted one or two as 'attachments using the internal storage but once I was made aware of Imgur I've used that ever since to post a multitude of pics on here.

My concern now is that as Photobucket have started charging a fee for hosting pics on websites such as Threetowners, it might not be too long before Imgur and others like them decide to follow suit.

Surely if these companies were going to go down that route then the sensible thing to do would have been to allow photo's previously posted on websites to remain free of charge, then have a cut off date where a fee would then be introduced for any further postings.
But then, when did common sense ever get in the way of pure greed!
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I did not get an e-mail from Photobucket but it appears to have joined forces with Photobox which my wife uses from time to time to get prints. However when I go to Photobucket I cannot access the images that I uploaded.
Edit correction.
I can see the images I have uploaded to Photobucket. However the new terms and conditions say I cannot create a link nor use it as a host unless I pay money. It is not clear if existing links will still be valid.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

It's been time consuming but I'm happy to report that our Photobucket images are now unblocked and many are now hosted on our own site while others are on Imgur and backed up - our topics make sense again.

It's likely that a few have been missed. So can I ask if you come across any posts bearing the blocking image (see below), would you please click on the "Report a Post" button which is in the form an Exclamation mark in all posts - see above to the right in this post. Just clicking submit is sufficient to alert us and it will be dealt with.

Posts with thumbnails don't seem to be a problem at this time, though you get taken to their website which is full of ads. :(

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Looks like photobucket is playing funny buggers again. Some of the images they didn't replace with that hijack image mentioned at the start of this topic have now been doctored and the images spoiled as you can see in the following Image.

I can fix most if I know where they are. So if you come across any such images, contact me at hugh.mccallum@gmail.com tell me the name of the topic - if it's a large topic tell me the page number. Members can also click on the "Report this Post" button which is in the form of an Exclamation mark in all posts at the top right, Just clicking submit is sufficient to alert us.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks to those who reported posts. I'll have to leave them till the weekend as I'll be away from home till then. :)