Stevenston Junior Secondary 1947

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Stevenston Junior Secondary 1947

Post by little plum »

Jacquie's_Dads_photo_.jpg
Back row - ?, ? , Keith Steed, ?, ?, ?, Thomas Fullerton, Robert Scott, - Ferguson.
Middle - Mrs Gaw, Thomas Anderson, William Howie, ?, Ian Cunningham, John Watt, William Little, William Saunders, George Saunders, Jim West, ?, Gilbert Cairns, ?, Poss Miss Weir.
Front - ?, ?, Alec Ferguson, - Bell, ?, ?, Richard Evans, ?, ?, ?, ?.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Junior Secondary 1947

Post by Penny Tray »

Little Plum,

As an Ardrossanite I know nothing of your photo or those who feature within it - BUT IT'S A CRACKER!

I just love it every time someone posts a 'auld' photo.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

P.T. The lad Evans at the front, you will know his family. They had the photographers shop in Stevenston, I'm led to believe they also had a shop in Saltcoats.

P.S. I will post the original photo in a few weeks, I managed to coerce a 70 year old to let me borrow the class photo. :)
Last edited by little plum on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wonder if little Johnny got into trouble for picking his nose. :naughty: :lol:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Little Plum,

I immediately thought there would be a connection between young Evans and the photography business.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

Keith Steed in the Photograph

Does anyone know if he was a teacher ?

and also where is would be about the local area?

doing a local history project and wondering if its the same man that was in that school photo,

Stevenston Higher Grade 1947 I was not around then so wondering if anyone else would know the ages of these people know someone i may know maybe in this picture.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The name Keith Steed struck me as immediately familiar, and it seems likely he would be the same Mr Steed who taught modern languages in my day at Ardrossan Academy.

According to the school magazine for session 1965-66 , ( proving useful yet again ! ), which was the year he joined the staff , he was a former pupil of the Academy; but in that generation Stevenston pupils who stayed on to senior school did transfer to Ardrossan in their later stages. I can't pretend to recognise him at that young age, but I do see a likeness to the one I remember in the K A Steed who's listed in this photo of the Academy prefects from session 1959-60, second from the left in the second back row:

http://www.iandalgleish.co.uk/AAwebsite ... ge545.html

And that would make him roughly the right age to be the youngster in the Stevenston photo, because they look to be an infants class.

PS I know only that he was still at Ardrossan Academy up to the start of the seventies, and he may well have moved on elsewhere after that.

PS I now have further information, though it seems to confuse the issue. Mr Kenneth ( ? ) Steed left Ardrossan Academy at the end of the 1973-74 session to take up the post of assistant principal teacher of French at Auchenharvie Academy.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

One of our members, Ewan Steed, a family researcher originally from Stevenston might be able to help. I remember working in Ardeer Foundry with an uncle of his back in the 1960s but can't recall the first name other than it was not common.
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

I think Mr Keith Steed worked at Auchenharvie Academy in Stevenston in the French and German Department and it would be good if someone could confirm that for real

maybe if an Ewan Steed would know if they can be in touch to find out how long he was there for and were he went off to
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

little plum wrote:P.S. I will post the original photo in a few weeks, I managed to coerce a 70 year old to let me borrow the class photo. :)
The original photo.
Jacquie's_Dads_photo_original].jpg
Is it possible that some members out there have old photo's of the 3t's, whether they are historical or social that they feel are not in a suitable condition for posting, if so, get in touch and I will see what I can do. No guarantee's of course, but it might add to the local record for future generations.
alba
Settling In
Settling In

Post by alba »

Hi Keith Steed is my brother. I was at Stevenston "High" a wee bit later then him<G>, but was know as "Iain" then.

Keith is now retired(obviously) and lives in Kilwinning. He latterly taught at Greenwood.

It seems he was doing some clearing out and found the photo a couple of months ago, but could not remember all those on it. Thought one of the teachers could have been a Mrs McGougan but apparently not now.

Thanks for all help.

Ewan

PS I live in Irvine now and not far from my brother and family.
ROOTS Consulting Services (Scotland)

Personalised Tours and all aspects of Genealogical Research - http://www.ancestryroots.co.uk

Ayrshire Online - Family History sources within Ayrshire - http://www.ancestryroots.co.uk/ayrshire-onlineindex.htm
DavidR
New Poster
New Poster

Post by DavidR »

Keith Steed taught me French at Ardrossan Academy in 1969. I hated school but always enjoyed his class. He was definitely my favorite teacher and due to his persistence with my inability I did manage to get French o level 2nd time around. Would love to say hello to him if he is still around. I live in Irvine.