Mr Hugh Bradford of Hayocks and Stevenston High

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Mr Hugh Bradford of Hayocks and Stevenston High

Post by down south »

I found an article and picture in an old A&S Herald about the retirement in January 1970 of Mr Hugh Bradford, and thought it would be of interest to any of you who'd known him at Stevenston High and Hayocks Primary. Since the print was quite small I've typed the article out rather than trying to reproduce it.
Mr Hugh Bradford 1970.jpg
Mr Hugh Bradford 1970.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
" Mr Hugh Bradford, an ever-popular man with the children he taught in Stevenston for the past 45 years, retired from Hayocks Primary School on Wednesday of last week.

He was born in Selkirk where his father was a teacher, and in his younger days he was a prominent runner, competing in more than 200 races under the name of B Hughes.

After graduating from Edinburgh University, Mr Bradford started his teching career in Stevenston High School on January 5th, 1925. He helped to build the school football park and ran successful school teams which produced players like Bobby Beattie ( Preston and Scotland ), Jack Evans ( Motherwell ), and Morton Dempster ( Rangers ).

Today Mr Bradford is to present the " Bradford Trophy " to Hayocks Primary School. The award is to be competed for annually. He will also be presented with a chair to commemmorate his retiral.

Mr Bradford plans to spend his time in retiral as a private tutor and he will also have more time to spend on his hobby of bowling . "

Susan
thehood1947
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Mr Hugh Bradford of Hayocks and Stevenston High

Post by thehood1947 »

He was my old teacher he was strict but you learned a lot
ROBIN
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

He's dead and although I did not have him for a teacher let us say his pupils were not the brightest.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Surely that's not the brightest of things to say, Billy. :roll:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Agreed but you know he would send a pupil to the janitor and tell them to ask him for a left handed screw driver. I doubt if anyone in my class would have fallen for that.