Ardrossan Academy Primary building

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy Primary building

Post by sheenaj »

Ah Ardrossan Primary-My first three years I thought okay,[1958-1960],Then I landed in Ms Christie's class-I think the dislike was mutual!Not being real smart,[in later life I realised I had a learnng disability] [unlike my older sister- who the teachers loved commenting on "why was I not like her!?]I was forever in trouble in her class, spent most of the time sat on the wooden floor beneath her 'pulpit style' desk, amongst all the corrected work she loved to ball up and thrown in my direction.The woman made me terrified to go to school -I was not the first or last to need a mother drag me to class each day!I was hospitalised a number of times as they tried to find out why I was subject to 'stomach ailments' I suspect because of her! I was relieved when finally I moved out of her class! Some years later[10yrs later], I discovered she had moved to teach at Argyle Rd School-I spotted my younger cousin being dragged by his mother to school,one day I was home visiting my parents [who lived next to the school] I believe she was his teacher. I could never understand why someone with such a cruel attitude could choose teaching as a career-or how she got away with it for so long
I did not like Ardrossan Accademy-mainly because of her,and found the school dismal of a biyond era.I was glad when they pulled the building down.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I seemed to see Miss Christie everywhere.She was my Guide Captain and she also went to our church(Erskine) I didn't stay in the guides long,but I had absolutely loved the brownies where we had a gem of a woman called Kathy Allan for our Brown Owl. Anyway in later years when I moved over here, May Christie often asked my mum about me.So I suppose she could be nice when she wanted,or maybe she had mellowed.
maryl
New Poster
New Poster

Post by maryl »

I don't think there was the same choice of careers for women then and a lot of girls ended up in teaching as a result. Once in difficult to get out. I met Miss Christie a few times later on and she was always pleasant but I never grew out of my awe of her. Shame really. maryl
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

I also remember Miss Christie. I joined the primary 1958, I can remember others warning me about her. My sister who was five years older, had a brian and used it, sailed through primary. Leaving me to live up to her academic performance on my journey through the primary………not. I enjoyed the primary, teachers were good (Miss McConnell tried very hard with me), classmates were good, sports day was great. I got the belt once at primary :oops: …yes Miss Christie. She moved to Saltcoats Public primary. I failed my 11 plus……that was always on the cards :( . But it all worked out fine in the end and have no regrets as the say //perfect . Class included, Philip Andrews, Colin Hay, Davey Robertson, Sheena Gossman, Hazal Goldie, Struan Robertson, Ian Fullerton, Sheila Davidson.
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5thBeatle wrote: Struan Robertson,
Struan's mum was a fantastic cookery teacher - I loved her, and because I could cook a bit, she was very good to me - much better teacher than Miss Cook who had the room next door.

Meg
PhilipD
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipD »

I've just surfed on here and I'm having flashbacks. I think I need to call a therapist. The mention of Miss Christie (was she room 5 or primary 5) is bringing me out in a cold sweat. I was at AA primary from about '58--'63 (Philip Darbyshire) and she was the personification of evil. I cannot remember ever being so afraid of a teacher in my life. I think any desire for or inkling towards learning in primary was extinguished by her. I think I might even hold her personally responsible for failing my 'qualy' so spectacularly :-) And then I think of such sweeties as Miss Miller and Miss Gaul and you wonder how the Christies of this world were ever allowed to teach. Well, its not too hard to work out really as we kids were pretty worthless and it didn't really matter too much to anyone in authority how teachers like that behaved. Now I'm going for a cuppa and a lie down.....
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

Phillip Derbyshire remember you well from the tattie picking days driving the tractor at low Boydstone farmand us flinging the rotten tatties at you when you churned up to many tatties
Cheers Reidsville(Mick Reid)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

PhilipD wrote:I've just surfed on here and I'm having flashbacks. I think I need to call a therapist. The mention of Miss Christie (was she room 5 or primary 5) is bringing me out in a cold sweat. I was at AA primary from about '58--'63 (Philip Darbyshire) and she was the personification of evil. I cannot remember ever being so afraid of a teacher in my life. I think any desire for or inkling towards learning in primary was extinguished by her. I think I might even hold her personally responsible for failing my 'qualy' so spectacularly :-) And then I think of such sweeties as Miss Miller and Miss Gaul and you wonder how the Christies of this world were ever allowed to teach. Well, its not too hard to work out really as we kids were pretty worthless and it didn't really matter too much to anyone in authority how teachers like that behaved. Now I'm going for a cuppa and a lie down.....
I think every school had one (or more) back then Philip, and as you say, we didn't count and our parents usually believed it was a' oor fault'..lol! Except one time my mum did complain about a teacher after a dear local doctor knew immediately why I was having problems sleeping, said 'she's in...'s class, right?' Apparently he'd had a load of children in her class with various problems. The result of the complaint? We can't really do anything, she's near retirement... :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

PhilipD wrote:
Now I'm going for a cuppa and a lie down
and perhaps dream about those days in Cuninghame Road? :wink:

Good to see you here Philip.

Campbell
PhilipD
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipD »

Gawd, I can feel myself spiralling into nostalgia overload..... :-)

Thanks Mick re the tat tie howking The Brothers Wilson, the billy tea, the 17/6 a day that rose to 1 pound a day!!! Did a pound note ever look as good as after a day at the tatties....and.....if I close my eases really tight, I can just see a big 'bileings' of Ayrshires sitting on my plate with a half pound of Lurpak melting all over them. Don't wake me up, please.

Hi Campbell, yes, 12 Cunninghame road is still standing. last time I was over I popped down to see it. hard to believe.

Thanks to to Meg who wonders how I ended up at AA secondary after my inglorious qualy failure. Odd story but I like to think that the education people saw the error of their ways and final recognised my genius (being an Ard/Salt/Steven forum I know I don't have to explain sarcasm to anyone!) I did a year at Stanley School (oh boy!!) and after actually doing we'll, they sent me back to AA. "And the rest, is history as they say in Blazing Saddles".

Back at the dreaded Miss Christie, has anyone started a poll of AA teacher horrors, a kind of psycho Eurovision of inadequates who could never get a job anywhere else so opted for paid abuse of children instead? I'm working on my list and checking it twice.

cheers everyone
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Meg, most kids in Aus. wear school uniform and I think they are a great thing. No arguing in the morning about what they want to wear.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

I don't suppose anyone knows the names of Ms.Christies parents? I have just unearthd a Christie connection to my Gran's line -I hope it was a quite distant onnection but it made my blood freeze when I discovered it :shock: