Some Ardrossan Academy teachers in 1973

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Some Ardrossan Academy teachers in 1973

Post by down south »

Here's a photo which I don't think is on the Academy website, of some of the teachers in 1973. The occasion was a leaving party for Mr Dempster, head of the Maths department, who was departing after 14 years to become assistant rector at Kilmarnock Academy .
It's supposed to show mainly the senior teachers; heads of department, and also the heads of the four school houses. Meg's favourite teacher ( ! ) Mr Blakely is here in his capacity as head of ( I'm pretty sure ) Castle house, the other three at that time were Mr Wright, Mr Maltby and Miss McKinlay.
phpm0oljyAM.jpg
The date is just after I left the school, but even so I can't name all of the teachers; some had only just arrived, a few others are familiar-looking but if I ever knew their names I've forgotten them. Perhaps someone a little younger like rencpy can fill a few gaps.

Those in full view at the front are, from left:

? ; Mr Wright; ? ; Mr Anderson ( Eng ); Dr Nisbet ( Classics ); Mr Dempster ( Maths ); Miss Currie ( dom sc ); Miss McKinlay ( French ); Mr Partridge ( Rector ).

Behind them are:

Mr Blakely ( classics ) ; Mr Morrison ( Physics ); ? ; ? ; top of head we certainly can't identify; looks like Mr Skelly ( Chemistry ) next; behind him, maybe Dr Jack ( Biology ) ; Mr Allan ; Mr Cowie ( History ) ; Mr Strong ( Art ) ; hiding behind Miss Currie, could be Mr Burnett?? ; Mr Mooney ( modern languages ) ; almost hidden by Mr Partridge, Mr Bannatyne ( Maths ) .

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Some Ardrossan Academy teachers in 1973

Post by Meg »

You are right Susan, Charlie was my darling:-) and he taught my son (who took Latin too !!! daft b*gger) I recognise the same teachers as you do so cant help out much. Alan, Mr Morrison's son and my son were friends at school and have stayed friends - Alan teaches Physics at Kinlochrannoch.

Dr Nisbet was head of my house, Montfode I think.

Meg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

You are right Susan, Charlie was my darling:-) and he taught my son (who took Latin too !!! daft b*gger) I recognise the same teachers as you do so cant help out much. Alan, Mr Morrison's son and my son were friends at school and have stayed friends - Alan teaches Physics at Kinlochrannoch.

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I think it must be that when houses were brought more to the fore at the time of going comprehensive ( as I mentioned when we had the topic on school houses ) and the job of head of house became more significant, Dr Nisbet must have given up the role because it conflicted with being head of department. In the old days it was much more of an honorary position; at least, not much went on with houses that I could ever see .

Susan
rencpy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by rencpy »

Hi Susan,
Can't help you much with this but I am trying to put names
to faces. When (if) I do i'll get back to you on this thread.
But to verify, that is Mr Burnett and indeed Mr Wright is
standing two to the left of Mr Anderson who is complete
with his pipe. Mr Wright is still alive and well and is
delighted when people still have the courtesy to call him
"Mr wright". Incidentally my favourite teacher was also
Charlie "Chick" Blaiklie.
Sorry can't be of any significant help at this time.

Rencpy
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

I didnt attend Ardrossan Academy I attened Auchenharvie Academy But Mr Wright stays in my steet I have knowen him for the last 25 years at least. Nice Man. Hi Daughter and Son in Law are Teachers to.

His son in law teaches at Ardrossan and His wife Is a head teacher in Stevenston.
eddiegibb
Settling In
Settling In

Post by eddiegibb »

I remember one of the first lessons I received at the academy in 1978 was maths, the teacher had glasses and a grey moustache and beard, and was called Mr Thewliss. I remember thinking at the end of the lesson what was that about! Could the Teacher 7th from the left me Mr Thewliss?
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Oh! Charlie Blakely. My first meeting with him was in the prefab building next to the toilet block. He was assigned to our squad for Religious Instruction. "Right. Pay attention" he said, " There is no God, end of lesson. Anybody who wants to learn the rules of Poker move to the front, the rest of you can just amuse yourselves at the back"
I met him once on his way to the Seamill Hydro for a school reunion ( not my year) and he said not to bother going when my class organised one because half of them are dead already. Thanks Charlie.
PhilipDinOZ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipDinOZ »

Meg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:12 pm You are right Susan, Charlie was my darling:-) and he taught my son (who took Latin too !!! daft b*gger) I recognise the same teachers as you do so cant help out much. Alan, Mr Morrison's son and my son were friends at school and have stayed friends - Alan teaches Physics at Kinlochrannoch.

Meg
A quick 'jump in' here. Yes Charlie Blakely was the stuff of legend. A rare human being among some true psychopaths. We had a very small boy in our class "Alan" (anon) When boys were talking up the back he'd say with that laconic drawl, 'Hi you! If you don't shut up at the back, I'll throw Alan at you! He helped me bluff my way through many a "Lit & Deb Society" platform and if I ever met him down at the Kilmeny or Ingledene having a quiet pint, he was just as funny and just as human. Not many teachers you can say you have such fond memories of. A true star. Philip Darbyshire
PhilipDinOZ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipDinOZ »

I think Leon Trotsky is in the back row😱😱😱😊