St Mary's Jacks Road

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: St Mary's Jacks Road

Post by Mitchy »

westendcafe wrote:I have enjoyed reading this thread. I too remember us running behind Mr McCann's bicycle, in Pied Piper style, from the Glebe down Springvale Street after lunchtime football. Wonder what health and safety would have made of that. If you were first down you got to put his bike away. His bike was bigger than me.

Someone mentioned walks down to St Mary's. The walks I remember were to the swimming pool and worse still the walk back with wet hair in the cold. I had some hair in those days.

Other memories of Mr McCann are of him taking us for singing lessons and him rapping out the rhythm on the desk with the end of his pencil. Taffa tiffy taffa tiffy ta-a!

John
My abiding memories of following JJ's bike down from the Glebe was on a Wednesday when Assembly was immediately after lunch. He would be swinging round into the school, would look back and shout 'get your hymn books ready'!

Taffa tiffy taffa tiffy - the memories :lol:
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Musical Mr. McCann

Post by danmac »

One clear memory I have of JJ is when he taught us the song "Kelly The Boy From Killane" even to this day I enjoy listening to the Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem singing this song.
howiesboy
Settling In
Settling In

Re: St Mary's Jacks Road

Post by howiesboy »

Back to the annex at Jacks Road. I strated P1 with Miss Read in 1956. Main memory of the place was the smell of floor polish in the dining hall. Also remember the cream-coloured dentist wagon - ouch!