St Michael's win ARCOS Cup, June 1974

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

St Michael's win ARCOS Cup, June 1974

Post by down south »

I don't know what the ARCOS Cup signifies, but I suspect it may well be a new name for the Ayrshire Schools Cup which I featured in my last post in this forum, being competed for at the same time of the season.

This was the under-16 event, and saw St Michael's beating a Kilmarnock Academy side. In the same edition of the Herald was a report of St Mary's winning the ARCOS Cup for primary teams, which we have already seen : see here .

Full match report :

ST MICHAEL'S ACADEMY 3 KILMARNOCK ACADEMY 2

At Dam Park, Ayr, last Wednesday St Michael's won their second cup of the season when they beat Kilmarnock in the final of the ARCOS under-16 Challenge Cup. It was a close game and St Michael's just deserved their narrow victory. A much improved Kilmarnock team pushed St Michael's to their best form in the last 20 minutes before St Michael's eventually won.

The first half had a lot of uninspired play as St Michael's struggled and failed to find the fluency which has marked their play this season. Kilmarnock, despite a lot of midfield possession, were continually caught offside.

St Michael's went ahead after 20 minutes when the Killie keeper Hunter sliced a clearance and could only look on in despair as Breslin lobbed the ball into the vacant net. In the next move St Michael's almost went further ahead, but Doran shot narrowly past. Kilmarnock's best effort came late in the half when McLaughlin headed a Miller shot off the line.

In the second half St Michael's brought on Higgins for McAloon, probably to strengthen the midfield but the tactic was negatived to some extent by Kilmarnock's new policy of lobbing long balls downfield, missing out the midfield entirely. How it paid off !

Within ten minutes of the restart Kilmarnock Academy were in the lead. Their first goal came when the St Michael's defence mistimed their offside trap and left Swift free to score. Only three minutes later came the second goal when Lees hooked the ball into the net after a free-kick outside the box.

St Michael's began to pull back into the game, largely due to the strength of Hume and Higgins in midfield. New bite came to the attack when Denvir was brought on and for the first time in the game St Michael's took over and played fast attacking football. In 20 minutes came the best goal of the game.

Hume forced his way down the left, beat Hamilton and cut the ball back to Denvir. A quick push to Doran and the centre sent a glorious shot into the corner of the net.

St Michael's now pressed hard for the winner and it came with eight minutes to go. Again it was Hume on the left who hit the ball to Denvir who found space to steer the ball past Hunter.

St Michael's : Donoghue ; Murphy, McLaughlin, Nocker, McKenna, Hume, Breslin, Doran, Donald, McAloon and Jenkins. Substitutes, Higgins and Denvir.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28th June 1974

Susan
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St Michael's win ARCOS Cup, June 1974

Post by brian f »

Down South, I never attended St Michaels myself. My family house was about a hundred yards from the playing fields. Sometimes i watched the football from the bedroom back window more than not the touchline. St Michaels had some good teams at that time, the one you mention is more than likely i watched.Thanks for the memory.