School musicals

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

School musicals

Post by Bruce »

Just returned from the first night of “Sound of Music” at St Matthews Acad.

It was rather good - 2 more nights to go, think Wed might be sold out, but if you can pick up a ticket for Tuesday, you won’t regret it...

What school musical/play/performance memories do you have?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: School musicals

Post by morag »

At St. Mike's they did the Pirates of Penzance and the Mikado, then I left school so don't know if they kept it going. The art students painted the backdrops.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

morag wrote:At St. Mike's they did the Pirates of Penzance and the Mikado, then I left school so don't know if they kept it going. The art students painted the backdrops.
They did indeed carry on with the G&S productions - the next was The Gondoliers, but no idea beyond that. The driving forces were Harry McFarlane (music) and Joe Mannion (English teacher, stage direction).
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

At our school they did Joseph and The Multi coloured dream coat. Think it was called that.

Auditions included pretending to be a tree. I think the ability to stand still showed discipline or something.

I failed because I fell over into a bin and was barred from the musical.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

We did the Mikado, H.M.S Pinafore and also the Easter Parade.
In primary I was picked to be part of the teddy bears picnic but decided to act the goat, that is I kidded on I was a gorilla with the sham gabbit look which did not go down well with the teacher who banned me from the show. Some teachers were unforgiving and I still think she was a bit harsh.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Just refreshing this post - does anyone know what end of term musicals/plays/productions our local schools are doing this year?

I know that St Matthews are doing "Legally Blonde” - which is a great show. I know that cos I’ve been doing the tech for their dress rehearsal!

Don’t know what shows the other schools are doing - do you? It seems that the licensing arrangements for many of the modern shows mean that schools aren’t allowed to advertise them externally, only to parents, families and friends.