The hazelnut tree

New to our forums? Get started by putting your big toe in here
Forum rules
Share a wee bit of a laugh here. Topics here and in Watershed are automatically culled 12 months after the last post to that topic
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

The hazelnut tree

Post by Meg » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:26 am

In Ardrossan cemetery there’s a hazelnut tree just inside the cemetery fence. One day, two boys filled up a bucketful of nuts and sat down by the tree, out of sight, and began dividing the nuts.
'One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me,' said one boy. Several dropped and rolled down toward the fence.

Wee Hughie came riding along the road on his bicycle. As he passed, he thought he heard voices from inside the cemetery, so he slowed down to investigate. Sure enough, he heard, 'One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me..'

He just knew what it was. He jumped back on his bike and rode off. Just around the hairpin bend he met an old man with a cane, hobbling along.
'C’mere quick,' said Wee Hughie , 'ye widnae believe what I heard! Satan and the Lord are up at the cemetery dividing up the souls!'

The man said, 'Beat it kid, can't you see it's hard for me to walk. When the Wee Hughie insisted though, the man hobbled slowly to the cemetery.

Standing by the fence they heard, 'One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.'
The old man whispered, 'Boy, you've been tellin' me the truth. Let's see if we can see the Lord!
Shaking with fear, they peered through the fence, yet were still unable to see anything. The old man and Wee Hughie gripped the wrought iron bars of the fence tighter and tighter as they tried to get a glimpse of the Lord.
At last they heard, 'One for you, one for me. That's all. Now let's go get those nuts by the fence and we'll be done...'
They say the old man had the lead for a good half-mile up the brae before Wee Hughie on the bike passed him.

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The hazelnut tree

Post by Hughie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Ha haha! Good one, Meg. //funny
Wee Hughie