Dementia in Football

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Dementia in Football

Post by Meg »

Sad to read today that Gordon McQueen has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia - and he’s only just turned 68. When I worked in Beth, our regular Friday after work “meeting” used to be in his local - and he was a regular at the corner of the bar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56168698

So sad ...
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Dementia in Football

Post by Kittywake »

I think Gordon might originally be a Kilbirnie boy, Meg. 'Go-Go' had a great pro career and was a tall and skilful no nonsense defender who was just as likely to score a headed winning goal for his team in the dying seconds of a match as he was to prevent one being scored against them.
Hoping he keeps well.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Kittywake wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm I think Gordon might originally be a Kilbirnie boy, Meg. 'Go-Go' had a great pro career and was a tall and skilful no nonsense defender who was just as likely to score a headed winning goal for his team in the dying seconds of a match as he was to prevent one being scored against them.
Hoping he keeps well.
Yes - he was from Kilbirnie - but think maybe his girlfriend at the time was from Beith. He really was a handsome big laddie. Our footballers seem to have a higher rate of dementia than other sports.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Sad to read today that Gordon McQueen has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia - and he’s only just turned 68. When I worked in Beth, our regular Friday after work “meeting” used to be in his local - and he was a regular at the corner of the bar.

So sad ...
Gordon died this morning. RIP
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:13 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm Sad to read today that Gordon McQueen has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia - and he’s only just turned 68. When I worked in Beth, our regular Friday after work “meeting” used to be in his local - and he was a regular at the corner of the bar.

So sad ...
Gordon died this morning. RIP
That’s such sad news - thanks Brian

Mx
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Sad time, had the pleasure of being in the big man's company a few times. His commentary on faddys goal in Paris is now legendary...RIP.
Those wimin were in the nip.