Armed footballers

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Armed footballers

Post by Hughie »

brian f wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 pm Can you name the only Military team that won the FA Cup?
With the above post, Brian got me thinking back to the mid to late 1950s. Wasn't there a match between Rangers and an East German military team when the Germans came out wearing side arms? I suppose it would have had to have been in what was communist East Germany at that time, not Ibrox. :shock:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Armed footballers

Post by brian f »

Before my time Hughie. I will politely pass and leave it to the likes of Penny, George, etc.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I would need to research it but Hughie is probably thinking of a match in the early 60s against VORWARTS when there was concern regarding opposition players defecting to the West, so they might have been accompanied by KGB or other agencies. Again from memory the away tie was maybe played in Sweden as opposed to Berlin - and in the morning because of fog on the scheduled match night.

I'll need to go and look it up now to satisfy my own curiosity.

And by the way, I'm younger that auld Hughie - but I did follow the fortunes of Rangers in Europe at the material time :D
Last edited by Penny Tray on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Got some of the things right, Rangers did travel to East Berlin (I didn't think they had) where they won 2-1. The East Germans were then refused visas to travel to Scotland (I thought it was Rangers who were refused visas to enter East Germany) and the match went to Malmo, Sweden. The evening game was abandoned because of thick fog, and, as I suggested, played at 10 'oclock the next morning when Rangers won 4-1.

And we're talking November 1961.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

The Royal Engineers
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks Penny, didn't think it was as late as 1961. But there we are. Wonder how many defected? :roll:
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Two apparently, Hughie
This from Ian Duff (Gallimaufry)
https://iainduff.wordpress.com/2015/05/ ... war-clash/

'After the abandoned game, two of the Vorwärts party, including interpreter Karl Ernst Zelm, defected, vanishing from the hotel where the teams were staying. Earlier in the evening, at a reception organised by Rangers, Zelm had approached Ibrox secretary James Simpson and some of the players, pleading for help in his bid to be reunited with his fiancee in West Germany. Suspecting they were being set up by Communists, the Scots declined to help, but the club officials still managed to make their escape and handed themselves in to Swedish police.'
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks Irene, Very interesting bit of football history as far as Rangers are concerned. Thanks for the link. :puter
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

'Edinburgh’s Finest'

www.mccraesbattaliontrust.org.uk
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

If we're now talking about teams with strong military connections, Ill put forward the name of THIRD LANARK who originated from the 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:33 am If we're now talking about teams with strong military connections, Ill put forward the name of THIRD LANARK who originated from the 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers.

Penny Tray, I can just about remember Third Lanark. Had you heard of St Bernards FC?

St Bernard's Football Club were a football club based in Edinburgh, Scotland. The club was established in 1878 and joined the Scottish Football League. They played at several different grounds before making the Royal Gymnasium Ground their long-term home. However, after having to sell it in 1943, the club was dissolved.
The club was originally the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers —like Third Lanark, it was a team linked to the territorial movement of the Victorian era— who had been inspired to set up a football team after watching an exhibition match between Queen's Park and Clydesdale. Buying a ball at Percival King's sports shop in Lothian Street, they formed a club at the British League of Abstainers' office in February 1874.

The club took its name from St Bernard's Well, a local landmark on the Water of Leith
Originally the club played at The Meadows along with Heart of Midlothian and later also Hibernian, before moving to their own ground, firstly at Powburn Park in Newington and then to John Hope's Park in Stockbridge, where its close proximity to the then playing fields of Edinburgh Academy helped them gain a following. Those in charge of the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers began to see the club as a distraction, and this resulted in the club divorcing itself from the regiment in 1878, as James Dunn and George Heathcote rechristened the club "St Bernard's" (with an apostrophe) after the famous St Bernard's Well sitting on the banks of the Water of Leith nearby, and which formed the badge of the club.
St Bernard's F.C. - Wikipedia
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Brian,

I was aware of St. Bernard's but not that, like Third Lanark, they had originated from rifle volunteers.