Threetowns Football

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Threetowns Football

Post by brian f »

Cowdenbeath play Rangers in the Scottish cup this Wednesday night .Cowdenbeath have a population of about 12000 similar to each of the Threetowns .So my question is why dont any of the towns have a football team in the senior Scottish leagues ?
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowns Football

Post by michaelm »

Good question brian f.

I think the main answer to it might lie in the fact that Cowdenbeath is one single town, whereas Stevenston, Saltcoats and Ardrossan - however close they are to each other - are all seen as entirely separate places having their own particular identity.

On a side note, I remember speculation some years ago about the possibility of Heart of Midlothian fc. and Hibernian fc. amalgamating as one football club in Edinburgh and Dundee United fc. and Dundee fc. amalgamating as one club also. There was even a train of thought going around that the big two clubs in Glasgow should merge, but as we all know that'll never happen in the foreseeable future, if ever.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Sorry brian, think I might have misunderstood your question a wee bit there. I thought you meant a senior club representing all threetown's together but I can see now that wasn't really what you were asking.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Aye-Thats all right Michaelm. Dont forget a wee team called Gretna F.C. bankrolled by some rich business man joined the senior leagues progressing to the SPL- 2007-2008.They also reached the Scottish cup final in 2006 losing to Hearts and qualified for the UEFA Cup. What an achievement, however success did not last as the financial support dried up and the club went into administration :wink: