The Scottish Premiership

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: The Scottish Premiership

Post by creamolafoam »

michaelm wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am creamolafoam, as a fan does this managerial appointment inspire you?
If a renowned name in world football doesn’t inspire, then I don’t know who will. For a guy like Steven Gerrard to come up to Scotland to ply his trade, will be a huge shot in the arm for the game north of the border.
Yes, he has no experience at this level, agreed, but I’ve got a couple mates through work who are dyed in the wool Liverpool supporters who said he has done superbly well at the Liverpool youth academy.
Under no illusions it’s going to be tough to wrestle the title back from celtic, but with him & Gary McAllistair & obvious contacts within football, I think rangers will run them close next season.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Hughie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:14 am
creamolafoam wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 pm All the best to Stevie G for next season. Interesting times ahead
A well I must have bombed out on the interview. Thought when they asked me to pose for this photo it was in the bag. :roll: :lol:

If you had applied twelve months ago, you would have been in with a serious shout :D
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Michaelm- Regarding the appointment of Mr Gerrard at Rangers i have previously posted it's a bit of a gamble.
No doubt you remember another Liverpool legend who went to Celtic a virgin when it comes to senior management. Mr Barnes.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Yes of course it's a gamble brianf, just as every new managerial appointment is.

I remember John Barnes ill fated spell as manager at Celtic very well. World class as a player and pretty much a household name to anyone who knew anything at all about the game. Unfortunately though, he didn't have any real managerial experience or ability.

Who knows, Steven Gerrard might well go on to be a success up here - though I'm sure you'll understand why I won't exactly be cheering him on :) - but there's a world of difference between coaching youngsters and taking the reigns at either of the big two in the 'Glasgow Goldfish Bowl'.
I'm sure Graeme Murty could no doubt testify to that.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

creamolafoam wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm If a renowned name in world football doesn’t inspire, then I don’t know who will. For a guy like Steven Gerrard to come up to Scotland to ply his trade, will be a huge shot in the arm for the game north of the border.
In my opinion Steven Gerrard hasn't come here to 'ply his trade', he's come to take his first steps on the ladder of his senior coaching "apprenticeship" and if he has any sort of success I reckon he'll be off in two shakes of a lambs tail as soon as the first decent multi ££££ offer from a club down south comes in.
creamolafoam wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm Under no illusions it’s going to be tough to wrestle the title back from celtic, but with him & Gary McAllistair & obvious contacts within football, I think rangers will run them close next season.
Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes were both equally - if not more so - world renowned names as players and both failed up here in coaching capacities together.
I'm sure you'd agree though, Gerrard will need substantial financial backing from a boardroom who haven't exactly been very forthcoming with the readies recently.

Wrestling the title back from Celtic shouldn't really be the main concern for Rangers at the moment, overcoming Aberdeen next season to claim second spot is surely much more important. :)
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Can see the negativity re Steven Gerrard’s appointment from celtic fans, & putting two & two together (John Barnes) & making five. Plenty of managers have been successful in their first stint as manager. I will give you the biggest name in management right now who done so in zinedine zidane .
As for 2nd in spfl, it’s nowhere. Only interested in title 55 :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

creamolafoam, if you read through some recent post's I think you'll see that it wasn't a Celtic fan who initially mentioned John Barnes' name.
Steven Gerrard may or may not go on to have a bit of success up here, but he's still a rookie with no senior coaching experience whatsoever.

Zinedine Zidane? .. You sure you've not been taking a few soundbite lesson's from the glib and shameless Mr. King? :lol:
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

michaelm wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:56 pm creamolafoam, if you read through some recent post's I think you'll see that it wasn't a Celtic fan who initially mentioned John Barnes' name.
Steven Gerrard may or may not go on to have a bit of success up here, but he's still a rookie with no senior coaching experience whatsoever.

Zinedine Zidane? .. You sure you've not been taking a few soundbite lesson's from the glib and shameless Mr. King? :lol:
You have taken it out of context there. I meant celtic fans in general. Still glad to see the appointment has gotten under many of their skins as I thought it would have. Celtic going for the treble again this wk, & all the talk seems to be about how poor Steven Gerrard is going to fail dramatically & yet his foot isn’t across the door yet. All about the rangers! :wink:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

creamolafoam wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:42 am
You have taken it out of context there. I meant celtic fans in general. Still glad to see the appointment has gotten under many of their skins as I thought it would have. Celtic going for the treble again this wk, & all the talk seems to be about how poor Steven Gerrard is going to fail dramatically & yet his foot isn’t across the door yet. All about the rangers! :wink:
Any Celtic fans I've spoken to recently have hardly made any mention of S.G. creamolafoam, so I think that's a bit of a wild exaggeration there.
Those type of statements make me wonder if you might actually really be Dave King in disguise after all. :lol:

You're right, Celtic are going for back to back treble's today, but I'm sure Motherwell will be intent on spoiling any 'Treble Party' so I'd be surprised if it isn't an extremely close fought game that could go either way.
Will you be tuning in to BBC1 this afternoon for the chance to potentially see History being made? :)
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Naw. Working. But will be back in time for the big one, Chelsea v Manchester Utd
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

That sounds a bit like it was said with a petted lip creamolafoam. :lol:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

creamolafoam wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm Naw. Working. But will be back in time for the big one, Chelsea v Manchester Utd
I'm guessing you were fairly happy with the outcome of that one, creamoafoam.

Not forgetting a huge well done to Celtic though.
Motherwell put up a good fight particularly in the second half, but were beaten by the better team on the day.

Loving the banter. :)