Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

They say that after a long cycle ride, it’s important to take one plenty of fluids and carbohydrate, ideally within half an hour of the end of the trip.

Fortunately, there is a drink which provides both the fluid and carb, and is widely available in pint-size containers. (and I’m not meaning milk)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A trip to Prestwick this morning, stuck to the cycle path all the way to Prestwick but made a wee detour to Troon harbour to see the EOS yacht.
http://www.ayradvertiser.com/news/17638 ... n-harbour/
Once in Prestwick headed through the town and up heathfield rd to the bypass.
Turned back at the bypass and came back to Irvine the same way. When I got to Irvine I continued on to Stevenston via the dubbs rd. Popped into see my faither then back to castlepark. 45 miles covered today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I headed the opposite way today.

Out early, started off with my usual trip along the coast from Saltcoats to Largs, then on to Wemyss Bay. Stopped at the station/ferry terminal for a look round - I love the atmosphere of that building - recharged the batteries with a bacon roll and coffee, then on towards Greenock. Not particularly nice roads for cycling, but I’m doing a challenge where I have to visit lots of different areas - imagine the map of the country with a 1 mile grid drawn over it - you’ve got to tick off as many boxes as you can. So it encourages you to try roads you’ve not been on before.

Through Greenock and Port Glasgow (it’s HILLY!) and back onto country roads. Finlayston park, towards Kilmacolm, houston, and on to Johnstone, getting the train back to Kilwinning. By the time I got back to Saltcoats, I had 48 miles on the clock, so kept going along the high road to ardrossan then back via Caledonia road to make it up to 50.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce-i take it you have a GPS bike computer you seem to know your away around, 50 miles aching legs ?

bonzo, That yacht must have been some sight . Maybe the owner was playing some of the local golf courses.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

It's a cracker Brain, don't think my budget would quite stretch to it :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Aye, legs are a bit sore tonight - it’s not the distance, its that this one was a bit hillier than I had thought. I need to get some more miles in - I’ve got a 100 miler coming up in a couple of weeks, which is a bit further than I’ve ever done before.

Yes, I’ve got a Garmin computer on the bike. If I’m just out on one of my usual runs, it just acts as a glorified speedo, telling me how fast (or maybe better to say how slow!) I’m going, how far I’ve gone, time etc. But if I’m going somewhere unfamiliar, I can program in a route, like I did this morning, and it will show a map, and pop up alert like “turn right in 150m”.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

What's the 100 mile run Bruce?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I’ve signed up for the CycleAyrshire “Tri-Vet Challenge” - part of Cycling UK, which I think used to be the Cycle Touring Club. Apparently it’s “Tri” cos these events happen every 3 years, and “Vet” cos I qualified as a “Veteran” - over 50.

There’s a 100km (62 mile) and 100 mile option - Last year I did their 100k event, which was great, this year I was going to do the same, but perhaps rashly went for the 100 mile one.

The 100 miler is in 3 sections, each of which is about 30-35 miles, and each starts and finishes in Troon. The 100k does 2 of these sections,

Loop 1 Starts at Troon, then Dundonald, Dreghorn, Springside, Cunninghamhead and Stewarton, coming back via Kilmaurs, Crosshouse and Symington.

Loop 2 goes from Troon to Monkton, Tarbolton, Mauchline, and some places I’ve not heard of, coming back to Troon via Symington.

And the final loop again goes out through Monkton, then Mossblown, Annbank, Coylton, turning north again at Drongan and heading back via Stair, Tarbolton and Symington.

It’s not a race - more of a social rode, There’s food and refreshments each time you get back to Troon, and you’ve got 12 hours to get round!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Good luck with it Bruce.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Treated myself to a new bike and it arrived yesterday so I decided to give it a wee blast today. I headed from Irvine to largs, just the normal way nothing fancy but it was bloomin windy on the way up, couldn't wait to get there and turn for home.
Much better on the way home it's amazing how quickly you forget about the wind when it's at your back. See the fair is getting set up on south beach but I didn't stop for a shot on the waltzers :lol: back to Irvine with 43 miles worn off my new tyres.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

New bike - your health to ride it!

What did you get?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cheers Bruce, it's a merida crossway 15 hybrid.