Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:45 pm They're alright Brian, electric as well to help with hills.
Hills what are "they " Have not seen one for nearly 40 years. :think:
Where is michaelm -I miss his Arran photo's.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Well, I found a hill today - my trip took in the Haylie Brae!
Although I did it from the easy side.

Started at Saltcoats. High Rd to Stevenston, then Dubbs Rd to Kilwinning. Through Pennyburn towards the train station, then out Dalry road.

Followed the main road to Dalry, past where they’re building the new bypass. Through the town and on towards Kilbirnie.

Turned left just after “Romeo & Juliet’s” - to me it’s still the Dalry Inn - and up the hill, joining the main road from Kilbirnie to Largs.

Followed that road, past the new crematorium, and then down the Haylie. Scary fast.

Into largs, quick stop for drink, then back along the coast to Saltcoats.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Where is michaelm -I miss his Arran photo's.
[/quote]

I was thinking Michael hadn't been around for a while, hope all is ok.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A wee trip to prestwick this afternoon. Onto route 7 at ravenspark and followed it to Bruce's well in prestwick, turned back through the town and back on the cycle path at the airport and toddled back to Irvine. Nice day but it was hotching with Mayflies must have swallowed a fair few. 31 miles today.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Decided this morning on a trip to Cumbrae. Set off just after 8am and the bins and cars were white with frost but you just knew it was going to be a cracker of a day.
Headed through the 3 toons and out onto the North shore to Seamill then down by hunterston castle and into Fairlie. Past the marina and the pencil and caught the 10am ferry.
Once on the island I went anti clockwise around it and made it back to the ferry terminal in plenty of time for the 11 o'clock ferry. By this time there was some heat in the sun so jacket off and headed back down the road. Another great day for a cycle and I've not been on Cumbrae for a couple of years thoroughly enjoyed it and furthest distance travelled for me this year 53 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sounds like a good trip - I also had thought about cumbrae today - but fate conspired against me.

Yesterday was a good trip- quite a long one. Saltcoats to Kilwinning, then torranyard, cunninghamhead, kilmaurs and fenwick. From there I crossed the M77, then Moscow and some back roads towards Newmilns. After that I headed towards Tarbolton, Symington, Dundonald, then Irvine and home. About 55 miles.

I wanted to do about 40 miles today. I’ve got a 100 mile trip coming up in a few weeks, and that’s a bit further than I’ve done before - so I wanted to get some miles in.

I had planned a quick trip to Largs, and maybe cumbrae, or push on up the moor road to loch thom. Left just before 9, but as I came out of Ardrossan, the bike started making a worrying noise. Something mechanical, coming from down near the chain, but I couldn’t tell what.

Stopped a few times to try to work out what was wrong - the bike had been fine yesterday, and since then I’d just washed and oiled it.

Seamill, and it was no better, and by the time I got near the Hunterston castle entrance it was sounding really bad. But couldn’t reproduce the problem at the roadside. Decided to turn back. I was sure something bad was going to happen!

The noise got worse as I came back through seamill. But by the time I reached ardrossan, it had gone away completely, and the last few miles home were fine. But my trip was only 20km - about 13 miles.

I think I’ve worked out what the problem was - two spokes rubbing where they cross. I normally have a wee dab of grease at the point where they cross, but I’d cleaned the bike fairly thoroughly last night and had washed it away. Re-greased it all and it seems fine now.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

In the words of the song noise annoys :lol: I was the same a few weeks ago I was getting a clicking noise when putting a lot of pressure on the pedals ie going uphill. I was convinced my bottom bracket was on the road out. Now the click has disappeared :smt102
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Couple of good posts bonzo +Bruce.
bonzo wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:11 pm Decided this morning on a trip to Cumbrae. Set off just after 8am and the bins and cars were white with frost but you just knew it was going to be a cracker of a day.
Headed through the 3 toons and out onto the North shore to Seamill then down by hunterston castle and into Fairlie. Past the marina and the pencil and caught the 10am ferry.
Once on the island I went anti clockwise around it and made it back to the ferry terminal in plenty of time for the 11 o'clock ferry. By this time there was some heat in the sun so jacket off and headed back down the road. Another great day for a cycle and I've not been on Cumbrae for a couple of years thoroughly enjoyed it and furthest distance travelled for me this year 53 miles.
bonzo- I take it you had strict instructions from mrs b Off the ferry at 10 and heading home at 11. You should at least do what Bruce does buy a coffee it helps the local economy //funny
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha, Brian I think I can safely say I've never bought a coffee. If I have the choice between a coffee and a pint I know what I'm picking :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Actually i was going to suggest a pint. But if your like me you would have another one or two for the road.Can you get done if your are p..sed on a bike ? :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

There is an offence of "cycling under the influence of drink or drugs” under the road traffic act. But there are no defined limits, unlike driving a car, and the police cannot breathalyse you. And the penalty is a financial one - they can’t “put points on your license”.