Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Penny Tray »

Bonzo, I'm in awe of your cycling achievments. Here's my claim to fame.

One day, in the 1950s, when I was about ten or eleven, unbeknown to anyone else, I took a mad turn and set off from Ardrossan to cycle to the home of relatives in Prestwick.

This was prior to the construction of the Kilwinning by-pass or any other kind of local by-pass – through Irvine Cross, turning right into the Bridgegate, left round the Silver Lounge corner; - passed Dundonald Army Camp; - and on to Loans Cross, where my problems began. The pedals on my bike, built almost wholly from parts temporarily borrowed from the destructors’ yard in Ardrossan, began to slip. I don’t know the technical term but they were only ‘catching’ every second or third time of asking, seriously impeding my progress and stability. I don’t remember, for example, crossing the runway at Prestwick Airport, as you had to in those days. Quite clearly, that traumatic experience has been erased from my mind. I was probably terrified that that the pedals would fail completely, leaving me furiously pushing my bike across the remainder of the broad runway to avoid any incoming plane after all the vehicular traffic had left me for dead.

To cut a long story short, I reached my destination in Prestwick and, goodness knows how, returned home to Ardrossan safely, although, I have to say that my bike and all the parts I had temporarily borrowed from the destructors’ yard were returned there. The bike never made another journey!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Good memories PT can't imagine crossing the runway at Prestwick Airport. Today my plan was to head to Dunure so set off to Barrassie but missed out the beach and Troon beach because of the Open you are literally sent all round the houses. went along the local cycle route between Barrassie and Troon then past the airport on to Prestwick beach followed the cycle path in to Ayr. Stopped at Ayr beach for a drink, while I was sitting I noticed Arran disappearing behind a wall of cloud so decided on discretion and headed for home. Alas to no avail by the time I got to Troon it was peeing down soaked again :lol: . Came home the same way as I went 36 miles in total.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Saturday morning: got ready to go out, got as far as getting the bike out the garage, then the rain came on and washed away my enthusiasm.....

Sunday: Saltcoats to far side of Largs and back. Headed out, slight headwind. Not too bothered, as that means a tailwind on way back. Along the cycle path to Seamill, then on the main road through Seamill. Decided to stay on main road rather than follow the cycle path on the loop out past ardeil/thirdpart farms - it's a 2.5 mile detour over rough tracks to avoid a mile on the main road. Went along the bridleway towards hunterston castle, then followed the cyclepath to Fairlie. Through the town, then the path along past the pencil to Largs. Kept going to the far side of Largs then turned back.

At this point it's normally "Stop for a quick coffee somewhere near the ferry terminal, maybe buy another bottle of juice" - but I realised i hadn't taken any money with me. So no coffee - I gatecrashed the Calmac guys at the pier - the ferry had just left, and they were in their crew room frying bacon! had a quick blether with them, and filled my water bottle, then back home.

By this time, the wind had changed, and it was a headwind again :-( ... and it was raining.

But a good trip - 29 miles.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

No' much of a day for cycling today.
I was in Saltcoats (on foot) earlier on and as the prom. isn't quite open yet - but should be soon - I decided to walk back into Stevenston by cutting through Sandilands caravan park and then over the railway bridge close to the sandy hills area.

When I got to the level crossing at the bottom end of Stevenston I encountered two confused lady cyclists who'd travelled from Troon and were planning to go as far as Ardrossan, but were stopped in their tracks at the prom.
That's now at least 3 times fairly recently I've came across cyclists in those same circumstances, so to my mind it must be a regular occurrence.
I think the main problem stems from the diversion notice at Moorpark rd. East/ Quarry. It states there's a route 73 diversion in place between Aug2015 and early Feb2016. and shows a map of the diversion route, which from there is: Moorpark rd. West, Hillside street, Saltcoats rd. Canal street, Nineyard street, then back onto the cycle route by turning left just before Saltcoats Labour Club.
A simple update to that particular diversion notice to let folk know the date of closure has been extended to possibly the end of July2016 would no doubt have stopped many a cyclist from outwith the area assuming that the notice had just been left behind after the original route had re-opened, so must be 'Out of date.'
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Going on from PTs adventure to Prestwick here's a wee tale of something that happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago.

I was heading to work from castlepark to shewalton a trip of about 4.5 miles a trip I did 6 days a week for about 4 years. It was a March morning pouring with rain and blowing a hoolie, I was going round riverside way and as I said had been doing this for years and never met a soul.

So with the weather conditions on this morning I was hied doon erse up as they say and unbeknown to me some wee guy in his white van had stopped for a read at his paper and a coffee straight into the back of the van I went. Now I'm not a wee man and as I planted my face into the back of the van I think I moved it a little. When I came to my senses with blood running down my chin and the guy fae the van with hot coffee all down his lap he just looked at me and said think you better get to hospital mate.

I carried on to work my dayglow jacket was red got in to the changing room looked in the mirror I had put my top teeth right through my bottom lip so off to A and E 4 stitches outside and 3 inside my mouth and concussion.

The moral of this story never assume and always look where you're going. I often think of the wee guy in the van and how much he must of crapped himself :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Good run yesterday, with a few hills. Headed up to the top of Ardrossan, then along the back road to West Kilbride. Thru WK, as if I was going to Dalry, then followed another road that took me out near the Hunterston roundabout.Kept going to Largs, then followed the coast road towards Skelmorlie. Headed up the hill and headed back to Largs past Routenburn, then back to Saltcoats by the main road. About 35 miles.

Today, I planned to do the same route in reverse, so Saltcoats to Largs along the A78, with a wee diversion along the Hunterston bridleway to take me off the main road for a bit. Great weather, and made good time. Arrived Largs, and it started to rain, and blow a gale. Stopped and got a coffee.

As I was coming out the cafe, I held the door open for a wee wummin, who was pulling on a raincoat and tying a rainmate over her head. We stood outside sheltering from the gale, had a wee blether, and she said “you must be mad, going out on a bike in this weather”.

I thought to myself “You’re right, missus”, and got the train home...
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote:The moral of this story never assume and always look where you're going.
Too true.
Bought a bike computer from Halfords a year or two ago but spent way too much time at first glancing at the wee screen on my handlebars, checking current speed, trip distance/time etc.

Nearly came tae grief a few times.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I originally had one of those wee spoke tickers on my bike before things went digital. But I was totally won over when they went digital and I got sucked into beating my previous time for the distance I had selected.

I got a wee bit over zealous on cycling for a number of years - I felt I had to beat the previous best. I Have visions of our three kids peering out the window watching for me coming home after being overdue from one of my bike rides.

One day I came off my bike and suffered a broken collarbone in the rain and had to walk home pushing the bike. I think oor Betty encouraged the kids to have a wee laugh at my expense as I came in the door. We often talk about that cold wet night when we get together.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I just use an app on my phone called endomundo, it gives you all the information you need plus it shouts your mile times out and number of miles done as you go along.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I think I'm glad noo I canny go a bike! :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
huey1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huey1 »

Hi
This a bit off topic but I will be in Aberdeen visiting my daughter who is doing post doc research at the Univ. of Aberdeen.My wife and I plan on riding the Deeside Trail as far as Balateer staying there overnight and then back to Aberdeen .has anyone done this ride ?any highlights that should not miss? thx

huey1
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Never cycled the deeside way but have a wee look at cyclegrampian might help you out.