Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

A wee run from castlepark to kilmarnock this afternoon. On to route 73 at ravenspark and followed it to the western rd in killie. As I've said before I love the cycle path between dreghorn and the western rd it's so quiet all you can here is bird song and the sound of your tyres. 23 miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

bonzo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm As I've said before I love the cycle path between dreghorn and the western rd it's so quiet ...
... and completely flat :D

I might head in that direction tomorrow - weather looks nice and I fancy a long-ish trip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Completely flat !!! That railway embankment up to the western rd must be at least a category 2 climb :lol:

This morning I headed down to Ayr. I was sitting in the living room having a coffee and the sun was shining and the tree out the back wasn't moving so I decided to get the legs oot for the first time this year. Bad decision as it was chankin.
All was good as far as troon then the wind got up. Going past the airport and along prestwick beach was a right struggle and I was cursing people going the other way under my breath :D
By the time I got to Ayr my legs were like jelly, really didn't expect it to be that windy. Stopped at the pivillion and took on some water and started to head hame. Annoyingly the wind still didn't seem to be doing me any favours but by the time I got back to the airport it was right at my back so it was plain sailing back to Irvine.
36 miles all in.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

What a day for a cycle, gorgeous day.
Today I went to portencross, just the normal way up the coast following the cycle path but by the time I got to south beach it was mobbed so I stuck to the road from there on in.
All along the north shore all you could smell was barbecues almost driving me to distraction :lol: on to portencross where I sat beside the castle for 15 minutes (so peaceful sitting there looking across to Arran)before heading hame as I had been told to be back before 5 by Mrs b.
Heading back the beaches were just as busy people even in the water, not bad for mid April. I made it hame for 4.15 :D. 30 miles off the tyres this afternoon.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I went the other way. Kilwinning, Stewarton, Fenwick and on to the Whitelee wind farm.

Went through the wind farm - there’s about 100 miles of path and bike tracks up there. The main service roads are tarmac, but the edge ones are rougher.

Came out at the southwest side, and headed on to Kilmarnock then back home. A good long run - and the first one this year without the goretex boots and big gloves!

Overheard a funny thing at the visitor centre. Obviously a family outing, and they’d taken Granny. She said “Aye, it’s a lovely day, and a lovely view, But I didn’t think it’d be so windy!”. Remember this is at the visitor centre of the biggest wind farm in Europe...
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm What a day for a cycle, gorgeous day.
Today I went to portencross, just the normal way up the coast following the cycle path but by the time I got to south beach it was mobbed so I stuck to the road from there on in.
All along the north shore all you could smell was barbecues almost driving me to distraction :lol: on to portencross where I sat beside the castle for 15 minutes (so peaceful sitting there looking across to Arran)before heading hame as I had been told to be back before 5 by Mrs b.
Heading back the beaches were just as busy people even in the water, not bad for mid April. I made it hame for 4.15 :D. 30 miles off the tyres this afternoon.
Probably- The Happiest post i have ever read on the Forum :D Long may the good weather continue.
I might have told you before bonzo-you would make an excellent journalist.Regards to Mrs b. :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha cheers Brian. Where have you been? we haven't heard from you for a while.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Another cracking morning for a cycle. This morning I did what I think Bruce calls a 3 Ayrshires run.
I left castlepark and headed to the staincastle and up Middleton rd towards Stewarton. About half way along the road 3 real cyclists came past me absolutely flying, made me feel as if I was going backwards :lol:
Just before I hit Stewarton I turned up to kilmaurs and then onto Kilmarnock. Round the town centre one way system and out by rugby park.
From the there through Gatehead and pasted Dundonald to Barrassie along the beach to Troon. From the far side of Troon I turned back towards Irvine. Along the gailes rd round the beach park, harbourside and the Marress rd.
I was going to head home but decided I had a few more miles in me. So on into kilwinning then along to Stevenston, cut down the new rd onto dubbs rd and hame. 43 miles today.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

My grandaughter and friend walked up Goat Fell today, it was a beautiful day. They LOVE Arran. They've booked a bycicle ride round Arran for their next adventure - weather permitting. Does anyone know how many kilometres/miles will that be?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

It's about 57 miles round the island.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm Hahaha cheers Brian. Where have you been? we haven't heard from you for a while.
The doctor gave me some Yellow tablets-They taste delicious :P

No seriously i spend most of my spare time playing online poker although starting to get fed up with it now so i might start spouting rubbish on the forum again..

That was some distance you cycled today 43 miles wow.Well done bonzo :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The yellow ones are the best :lol: it was just one of those days Brian, legs were up for it. Paying the price now my heid is skelpit hahaha.