Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

Yesterday I was all set up for a challenge. Got up at 6, looked out the window, heavy rain, decided to wait until the next day.

So, today I fancied a challenge.

Got up at 6, quick breakfast, and on the road at 25 past.

Ten minutes later, I’m at Ardrossan Harbour, about to take on the “5 Ferries Challenge”.

Harbour is already busy, I go to the Calmac ticket office. I need 5 tickets for the 5 ferries. At one time, you would buy a “Hopscotch 4” and a “Hopscotch 5”, but now you can buy a “5 ferries challenge” ticket - same price. It’s a bit of a bargain at £13.80 - that’s the benefit of Road Equivalent Tariff.

The 7am ferry is already busy, and the bikes are already queueing up to get on. By the time they let us on board, there were probably between 40 and 50 bikes at the back of the car deck. They’ve got portable “hanging rails” that they bring out, each one can take about a dozen bikes.

Leave at 7am prompt, heading for Arran. By the time I get upstairs to the cafe, it’s busy - they must have served about 100 full breakfasts and bacon rolls!

I find a quiet corner. The crossing takes about an hour.

The “Caledonian Isles” is busy, with the “top deck” in use for cars. So it takes longer than usual to unload, and bikes are last off. Just after 8, and I’m in the ferry car park, ready to start the adventure. Along with about 50 other cyclists - but the Peloton turns left, and I go right.

I love being on Arran - but this is going to be a brief visit. Next ferry is at Lochranza, 14 miles north, and it’s at half past 9. An hour and a half to do 14 miles should be fine - but there are 2 problems. The small print on the ticket says I need to be there at least 10 mins before the sailing. And there’s a great bloody hill in the way...

The first 7 miles or so are great - a flat run along the coast, and at that time the roads are pretty deserted. Then I hit the Bogouillie - the cat 3 hill. Up, slightly down, flat then up again - climbing about 200m over 5km.

I had to stop a couple of times - of course this was to take photos, not because my lungs and legs were bursting :-)

One good thing about the 5 ferries route is that each section starts and finishes at sea level, and for every big climb, there’s an equally good descent. Down to Lochranza, with about 20 mins before ferry is due to leave. Time for a quick coffee.

Spoke to 2 chaps who I had seen on the first boat, looks like we are the only ones out of the 50 that are doing the 5 ferries.

Ferry number 2 Lochranza-Claonaig - is a much more basic affair.

No cafe, no shop, no comfy seats. But the best customer service you can imagine. It left dead on time at 0930, but about 100 yards out of the harbour, the engines stopped. A car had just arrived in the waiting area, and a motorbike. They took the ferry back into the harbour and let them on board, saving them an hour and a half wait.

Half an hour later, I was back on the mainland - but not a part of the mainland I recognised. From here to home, it’s 130 miles by road! I was at Claonaig, an isolated ferry terminal (not much more than a car park, a ramp and a bus shelter) at the top of the Kintyre peninsula.

Next ferry is at Tarbert, Loch Fyne, in an hour and a quarter. It’s only 10 miles away - first half is a 125m hill, after that it’s flat.

Nearing the top, I heard an ominous “ping”. A front spoke had gone. Fortunately, I’m on discs, so the wheel wobble wasn’t too inconvenient. Taped it in place to stop the rattle, then pushed on past Kennacraig to Tarbert, Loch Fyne, to await the next ferry. Met the same 2 chaps there!

Fettled the front wheel - took the spoke out and loosened the 2 adjacent ones.

The ferries are getting smaller and smaller. This one takes me from Tarbert to Portavadie, a half hour crossing.

We’re still on the mainland, deep in Argyll.

Lumpy road from Portavadie across to Tignabruaich. With hindsight, I should have stopped there for something to eat, but I pressed on. After Tignabruaich, there’s another cat4 hill.

That one was sore - but once I got to the top, the view over the Kyles of Bute was incredible.

You can actually see the next ferry in that photo - it’s only a mile away - but the road to get there is 12 miles long.

Ferry #4 is Colintraive-Rhubodach. The shortest crossing of the trip - I don’t think I was on the boat for more than a couple of minutes. Years ago, the local farmers used to swim their cattle across at low tide!

We’re now on the isle of Bute. From here, it’s a flat 10 miles to Rothesay. As I rounded the headland, I saw the 2pm ferry just leaving.... so had an hour to get something to eat and drink.
My head was saying “Healthy food. Soup. Granola bars”. But my heart said “fish & chips” and won.

The paddle steamer “Waverley” was in harbour. Good memories - I worked on it as a teenager.

Finally, caught the 3pm sailing from Rothesay to Wemyss Bay.

and then a slightly anticlimactic 20 miles along the A78 to take me back to the Ardrossan ferry terminal. Bumped into the same 2 guys on most ferries, and at the last set of traffic lights before the harbour.

So, overall it was 116km cycling (Strava says different, cos I forgot to pause it on one ferry) . I was out the house from 6.30 until 1700, but less than half of that was “rolling” - the rest was on boats, or waiting for boats.

A really good day. Met lots of interesting people on the ferries.

Last edited by Bruce on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Wow, just wow....

Amazing journey

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Fantastic Bruce well done :clap: my legs are sair just reading this :lol: how was it on the mileage front?
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

116 km, which is 72 miles. And very hilly - too hilly for me!

It was just over 5 and a half hours in the saddle, but spread over 10 and a half - so about half the time on the bike, and the rest either waiting, or travelling on the ferries.

The last leg - wemyss bay to the 3 towns, along the A78 - was a bit of a slog after the quiet roads of arran, argyll and bute. When I got to largs, I was tempted to jump on a train for the last few miles - but I’d just missed one!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Bruce wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 pm 116 km, which is 72 miles. And very hilly - too hilly for me!
Again Bruce well done, but if it's to hilly for you then I'm oot :D
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Meg wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 pm Wow, just wow....

Amazing journey

Meg
I did Stevenston to Largs and back 4 about years ago Meg, only stopping to enjoy a fish supper on Largs seafront. Roughly 30 miles on the day. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 pm
Meg wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 pm Wow, just wow....

Amazing journey

Meg
I did Stevenston to Largs and back 4 about years ago Meg, only stopping to enjoy a fish supper on Largs seafront. Roughly 30 miles on the day. :)
Again, what a journey Michael - and the views on the way there and back are the best in the world. Going on the cycle path from Ayr to Troon kills me :lol:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Meg wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am
Again, what a journey Michael - and the views on the way there and back are the best in the world. Going on the cycle path from Ayr to Troon kills me :lol:
That run to Largs and back was a rarity for me Meg, as I was more often inclined to just take a relaxing wee jaunt along the cycle path into the Irvine Harbour area.
I'm happy to let guys like Bruce and bonzo clock up the more serious mileage on a regular basis - and then read about their exploits on here. :)
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Well done. I needed a wine after reading about your trip.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Well done Bruce. Never knew you could do that. Too difficult now for me. Thank you for showing the map as well as those amazing pictures.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Day off today so up and out for around 7.15. My intentions were to head down to Burns Cottage a place I've not been for manys a year but unfortunately things did not go to plan.
I just followed the cycle path from Ravenspark to Prestwick where I thought I could do with putting my seat up a little. Alas with my super strength :lol: I over did it when tightening up my seat post clamp and burst the thread. Never mind my bag was still packed with spares from my Arran trip, so out with a new clamp only to discover I had lifted the wrong size :oops: .
I tried my best to bodge it and after a lot of swearing it wasn't happening so I headed to the bike shop in Prestwick only to find out it didn't open for another 40 mins. I sat about watching the world go by until the shop opened got the correct clamp and fitted it.
By now I was a bit peed off and decided to call it a day and head for home but by the time I got back to Irvine I felt a bit better and continued on into Kilwinning then to Stevenston where I went down the Townhead, New St, Moorpark Rd East, the Quarry,Dubbs Rd and hame. 45 miles today and I've still got Burns Cottage to look forward to :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Rain was threatening this morning when I set out. Sky was looking very dark. Fortunately, it never materialised.

Off along the high road, then dubbs road to Kilwinning. Benslie, Torranyard, and on towards Kilmaurs. On to the very north edge of Kilmarnock, where I picked up the cycle path alongside the A77.

A couple of miles later, my Garmin satnav said I should turn right, and I followed a rather unpromising road - which ended up in a farmyard. The satnav said “go straight on, then to the left” - but the route it indicated was over a field and across a river! Turned back and made a detour through Fenwick.

Back on route, I passed the Crawfurdland estate. Never been there, but apparently there’s nice walks, a fishing place, some sports stuff and a cafe. The cafe sounded good, so I headed in. Lovely setting, new cafe overlooking the water, a bit posh. All I wanted was a take-away coffee - I was a bit shocked when they charged me £3.50 for it! Doubt I’ll be back there....

Onwards to Moscow, Galston and along the Sorn road. Heading roughly towards Tarbolton, but bypassed it and headed towards Monkton.

At this point, I remembered I’d intended to be home by 1pm, so caught a train to Kilwinning from the airport.

72km in total - about 45 miles.