Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:35 pm The yellow ones are the best :lol: it was just one of those days Brian, legs were up for it. Paying the price now my heid is skelpit hahaha.
Aye- i was thinking that with the weather so hot. Better get mrs b to cool you doon :lol:

Now i pose you and others this question about this bike run in my adopted City.

The World Naked Bike Ride is returning to Cambridge for 2019. The risqué event will be back in all its glory this year.

So it looks like you can cycle about on a cycle naked but if you walk down the street naked would you not be arrested ?? :roll:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

As Bonzo says, about 55 miles round the island or thereabouts. A few substantial hills, so not really one for beginners.

Most people say it’s best to do it “clockwise” - so turn left when you come off the boat. That means you get the lumpy stuff near Lamlash and Whiting Bay out of the way early, the big climb up Glen Sannox is about 3/4 of the way round, and it’s a good downhill run then flat back to the ferry. And most importantly, prevailing wind tends to be from south or southwest, so it’ll be be at your back on the more exposed coast at the far side of the island.

My advice - don’t come straight off the boat and turn left immediately - otherwise you’re straight into a steep hill with no warm-up! Take a short spin along towards Brodick to loosen up your legs first!

Velo Cafe in Lagg, right at the south of the island, is a good stopping point. Part of the Lagg Hotel. Bike friendly, and good grub.

My trip today was inland again. Saltcoats to Kilwinning to Stewarton again, and again a stop for a coffee there. Then followed the road on towards Glasgow, eventually arriving near Rouken Glen. Round the south of the city, past Silverburn, heading towards Paisley. From there I headed out towards Renfrew, then back in to Gilmour St station, where I caught a train back to Kilwinning. 68km, which is 42 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Here’s my diary from the last time I did the “Round Arran” trip. I did it in November - I’d recommend doing it sometime when it’s warmer!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your- ... st-4566618
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 pm
bonzo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:35 pm The yellow ones are the best :lol: it was just one of those days Brian, legs were up for it. Paying the price now my heid is skelpit hahaha.
Aye- i was thinking that with the weather so hot. Better get mrs b to cool you doon :lol:

Now i pose you and others this question about this bike run in my adopted City.

The World Naked Bike Ride is returning to Cambridge for 2019. The risqué event will be back in all its glory this year.

So it looks like you can cycle about on a cycle naked but if you walk down the street naked would you not be arrested ?? :roll:
She just tells me I'm a daft sod for not wearing sun cream.
As for a naked bike ride, a burnt napper is bad enough //funny
Make sure and take plenty of photos though. :wink:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

brian f wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 pm
I’ve always thought they were a bit odd in Cambridge.... :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A couple of 25 milers for me yesterday and today. Yesterday afternoon I toddled down to Troon, a huge change in the weather from last weekend I was back into long trousers and full gloves, must have been 15 degrees colder than the previous weekend. I just stuck to the cycle path. When I got to troon I had a wee chuckle to myself, last weekend it was full of people in shorts and simmits this weekend just a few hardy dog walkers in full winter gear.
This morning I headed into Irvine up bank st to the Staincastle, Lawthorn to Benslie then down onto kilwinning, through the town centre then turned up to whitehirst park. From there onto the back road to Stevenston passing the solar farm. Down Campbell avenue and onto glencairn st. Headed to Ardrossan then turned back at the far side. Along South beach, saltcoats harbour, the prom, the quarry, dubbs rd and hame. About a mile from the hoose I got caught in a right heavy hail shower this is never good when you have a baldy heid :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

You were brave going out today!

I fitted 2 new tyres, but haven’t been out to road test them yet.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

bonzo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:19 pm I got caught in a right heavy hail shower this is never good when you have a baldy heid :lol:
Baldy heids need protection. Helmets are compulsory for cyclists here and I think in most states and territories in Australia. Anyway I wouldn't venture out without one here in spring because of those swooping Aussie Magpies. Most cyclists have those plastic ties sticking out their helmets to ward them off.

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I was a postman for 15 years and must have cycled up to 20 miles a day when on delivery. I dont fancy these contraptions. Click on the link .

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/why-i-th ... ial-is-imp... :roll:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

They're alright Brian, electric as well to help with hills.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned these things before;

Cycling Without Age https://cyclingwithoutage.scot is a voluntary organisation which is getting these “trishaws” (electric assist rickshaw bikes) into communities, and training teams of drivers. The idea is that they are able to organise trips out for residents of nursing/retirement homes.

A friend of mine was involved in fund-raising for one for the Largs/Fairlie/Millport area, and I know there is now one based at East Ayrshire community hospital in Cumnock, and plans for one around Prestwick.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce, Think thats a brilliant voluntary organisation . Anything to get the elderly /infirm out the house.