Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Right here goes and I hope some others join in. After a near 2 week absence due to my coming together with the road :D I got back out on the bike this morning. Castlepark to Prestwick beach 32 miles all in,felt it on my ribs every little bump. While heading past Troon you can see everything starting to spring up for The Open the stands have been up for a while but now its turning in to a little village. The logistics of it all must be amazing.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

The 3 towns is a pretty good place to be based if you’re a cyclist. Plenty of routes, and if you stay on the coast, you avoid the hills!

Saturday’s trip: Saltcoats to Stevenson, then follow the national cycle route NCN 73 (via Dubbs Rd) to Kilwinning. Cut onto NCN 7 to Irvine. Low Green, Beach Park, Gailes then out past the paper mill. Leave the NCN and head towards Dreghorn. Join NCN73 there again, back to low green, then home. About 24 miles.

Sunday’s trip - same as Saturday, but go round the loop in the other direction.

Yesterday’s trip: Saltcoats to Largs and back. You can do most of it, except the bits through Seamill and Fairlie, on cycle paths. The section between Hunterston and Fairly has been recently resurfaced, and is a decent smooth path. 30 miles.

And talking of the Open - when I was out at the weekend, I noticed they’d taken over a large factory unit out near the paper mill to use as a “logistics base” for all the Open construction/delivery stuff.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Good going Bruce. When you go out past the paper mill do you head up the hill towards Dundonald and then back to Drybridge? Is the factory you talk about called auchengate? Love the cycle to Largs only done it once this year. What kind of bike do you have?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Didn’t quite go as far as the paper mill this weekend - turned back about quarter of a mile before it. I followed NCN7 from Irvine - so out to Gailles, along to the dual carriageway, over the footbridge, and round the back of the paper mill. When you meet the main road, you’d normally go right towards the mill, then follow the path through a wee nature reserve place. But I turned left, which took me onto Meadowhead Rd then LongDrive back towards the Greenwood roundabout - the factory was on the right maybe near Shewalton Rd?

Just bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago - the old one (now my “winter bike”) was a mountain bike with road tyres. The new one is an “adventure road bike” - so drop bars, but a wee bit more robust than a normal road bike - sturdier frame etc.

Last weekend’s trip was Saltcoats to Glasgow, via the cycle route.

Followed the NCN73 from Saltcoats, through Ardeer Park and Dubbs Rd, to Kilwinning. Join the NCN7, and go thru kilwinning town to the north-east end of the town. Cross the old railway viaduct, then follow the back road past the Blair estate to just outside Dalry, then on to Highfield (between Dalry and Beith). Continue on the farm road to Longbar/Glengarnock, through the industrial estate (on a road that would take your fillings out!) to the start of the traffic-free section.

Follow the old railway line from Glengarnock to Lochwinnoch. A good straight run, but I find it a wee bit boring - you’re down in the railway cutting, so not much to see - and cold!

Stop at the cafe at Castle Semple loch for a coffee.

Back on the old railway line, but this time you’re higher up, so more to see. Follow it to Kilbarchan then Johnstone. In to Elderslie, then back on the main road for a couple of hundred yards until you pick up another railway path. Follow that to Paisley Canal station.

Just after that, I lost the path for a while, but picked it up in Paisley near the hospice. Followed the path along the riverside past Crookston Castle, and eventually ended up at Pollock park. Cross the motorway a couple of times, and you end up near Kinning Park subway. Head north to the river, cross the Bells Bridge, then along the Broomielaw to Central Station. 40 miles.

Then train to Kilwinning and bike back to Saltcoats...
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Know where you are in Irvine. I've done Glasgow a couple of times along route 7. Maybe again in the next few weeks.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning castlepark to Portencross out via Kilwinning and along the high Road. Back via south Beach, the quarry and dubbs Road 32 miles again.Sitting at Portencross is probably my favourite view of arran and on a morning like this morning arran looked magnificent.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

This morning a pair of cyclists, middle aged and from their conversation I knew they were German and as they passed me the female said good morning and I replied guten morgan and she was so pleased that she gave me the thumbs up. You often meet really nice folk on the cycle path. Last week I was talking to a pair of cyclists who again were German and I said I hope we stay in the EU and they hoped the same. Incidently they thought the Scots were very friendly.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Today castlepark to the Western Road in Kilmarnock then back to Dreghorn then over to the staincastle, lawthorn out on to the Glasgow Rd down through benzlie in to Kilwinning, Stevenston along the high Road to the north shore back long south Beach, the quarry, dubbs Road and hame. 34 miles boy it was warm but I had 5 days worth of French beer to sweat oot.also swallied a few beasties but it's all protein right?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Well done "bonzo," a fair cycle by anyone's standard, especially in this excessively warm weather. However, I thought I was familiar with that area but where is "Lawthorn" between Stanecastle and the Glasgow Road at Benslie? I don't think I've heard of it. The only area I can think of between Stanecastle and Benslie is Girdle Toll - mind you, my recollection goes back to the early 1970s, maybe some new housing called 'Lawthorn' has popped up since then?????
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Thanks. Indeed the lawthorn has been there for many year's now maybe 15 or so. If you go from the staincastle then the girdle the lawthorn is on the right as you head towards the Glasgow Rd.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

It never ceases to amaze me the miles you can put in without going to far from home. Done 20 miles today and the furthest away from Castlepark was Loans.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Today's wee escapade took me from castlepark to Largs jumped on the ferry roon cumbrae had a wee break in Millport for a drink and a piece. Back to the ferry and doon the road. Rain never halted all the way hame drookit :lol: it was like my own wee personal cloud. Big difference fae the past few weeks couldnae even see arran today enjoyed it though 52 miles all in my legs will be sair the morra //funny