Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

55- Good going that bonzo with the Winter gear on. Whitehirstpark- I remember as a young paperboy it was kinda posh the Times was popular. Mind you next to Pennyburn-Everywhere was :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I’ve been doing lunchtime rides this week, breaking up the “work from home” routine. Along the high road, up Sorbie Rd past the cemetery, Stanley Road and up to the top of Ardrossan, then the Old High rd to West Kilbride. Leave WK towards Dalry, then Kilrushkin Rd take you out near Hunterson - then back along the main road.

And it’s been chilly - each time I go out, I think “should have worn long sleeves and a jacket”. Haven’t actually done that yet, but prob will tomorrow!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 pm 55- Good going that bonzo with the Winter gear on. Whitehirstpark- I remember as a young paperboy it was kinda posh the Times was popular. Mind you next to Pennyburn-Everywhere was :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: mind gaun tae parties up there in the early 80s and thinking what's posh aboot here? The houses were/are totie, my coocil living room in the dugtrack was much bigger.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A wee run roon Cumbrae this afternoon. Usual way, it was a beauty of an afternoon. The ferry was quite busy but ok for space. Strange thing, I seen 3 separate recumbent bikes. There's a couple of nice photos on relive so I'll stick that up again. 53 miles today.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vMq5GrdMgQO
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

wee trip along to daughter’s house in Kilwinning this evening, to watch grandson for an hour.

Great cycle back along the farm roads, past the solar farm then Kerelaw, just after sunset. Had forgotten how good a night ride can be if you’re got decent lights.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Getting very autumnal.

This morning I left Irvine and headed through the 3 toons. Start of the north shore I turned back along the high road to kilwinning. From there onto Auchenteber where I turned towards the Staincastle.

Next port of call was Stewarton then Kilmaurs and into Kilmarnock. Dundonald after that then at Auchengate back along the Gailes rd round the Beach park and hame. 50 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I headed from 3 towns to Kilwinning, then up the Glasgow road. Turned left about a mile or two out of the town, then farm roads past the Admiralty to Barrmill, then more farm roads to Gateside.

From there, a few roads that I’ve never been on before (and some steep hills - may not be rushing back that way!) took me over the hill, past a reservoir and down towards Lochwinnoch.

I’d heard good things about the Little Coffee Caravan, which sits just off the roundabout on the Johnstone-Beith road, just at the Lochwinnoch turnoff, and I’d seen it several times when driving past. I fancied a coffee and a cake, so that was my destination. Unfortunately, it wasn’t there - guess it’s weekdays only.

So on into Lochwinnoch, ignoring some “road closed” signs. The main road is closed between Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie, but I headed for the cycle path to Kilbirnie, and then to Glengarnock.

Another “road closed” - this time at Longbar, on the back road to Dalry (part of the national cycle route). No easy diversion for that one, and I didn’t fancy the main road, so jumped on a train at Glengarnock to Kilwinning.

That wee “cheat” on the train meant that I would have been on about 47k if Id gone straight home, so a detour was needed to make it up to a 50.

From Kilwinning station, past the sports club then Dubbs road to Stevenston. Through the quarry, over the level crossing to the shore then along “the slabs” to Saltcoats. Round the front as far as Winton St, then up past the Melbourne and home.

51km, which is about 34 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Today’s run. Out before 9, bright sunshine, but chilly. Breeze from north, was cold when in shade, but Ok in sunshine.

Along high road and out along the North Shore to Seamill, then Portencross. Stopped for minute to appreciate the view across to Arran - it was really clear - then turned back. About half way to the main road, turned left up a farm road which eventually took me back to the main road about half way from Seamill to Hunterston.

Turned left again, and along another back road to Hunterston Castle, then along a path which took me towards the power station. Past Hunterston B, past Hunterston A, then right along to the car park at the end.

At this point, I had looped back and was only about a mile from Portencross, where I’d been half an hour earlier. The direct path is fine for walkers, and just about passable on a bike as long as the ground is dry, but I didn’t try it today.

Turned back, past the power stations again, then followed the main road towards Largs. Cut in at the Pencil, then along the front to the ferry.

By this time, it had warmed up, and was very pleasant.

Quick cup of coffee, watching the world go by, then back to the 3 towns by the main road, with a slight tailwind.

52km today.

But the best trip of the week was on Wednesday night. The route was the same as the first half of today’s trip - Saltcoats-Seamill-Portencross-Hunterston Castle, then home. It’d been “one of those days” at work, and I went out for a quick bike ride just before 7pm.
By the time I got to Portencross, the sun was setting, and the view was brilliant.

Lights on, and along the farm road to Hunterston Castle. Great cycling along the path through the trees in the dark.

Then a good run on the road back to Saltcoats. First night run I’ve done for ages!
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

How's your legs guys... Miss reading the posts :hi:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Weather's been a bit rubbish Brian, I was on holiday the first week in November got out a couple of times. This month, December and January I do most of my cycling on the turbo trainer.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I've been out once this month, about a week ago. Round the outside of Irvine, on towards the papermill, Troon and Prestwick airport. Turned there, pit-stop at a cafe in troon, then home.

The long sleeves and long trousers had gone on about a month ago. This time I had extra layers, the cap under the helmet, and the big gloves too. Was nice and toasty, but freezing feet! Think I need to get the winter boots out!

But I don't think I'll be doing too many more miles this year.
I've been doing a wee challenge with some friends, where you have to get at least one 50km trip in every month. If I get one in December, then that'll be a clean sheet for 4 years. But when the weather's like this it's not easy.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Got out for a burl on Friday afternoon and this morning. Did the same run both days.
Irvine moor, harbourside and round the beach park. Out to Auchengate where I turned up towards Dundonald then back to Drybridge and Dreghorn.
Perceton row next then Staincastle, Lawthorn and Benslie. From there it's downhill into kilwinning, through the town I headed up Whitehirstpark onto the country road that takes you to the top end of Stevenston.
Around Campbell Avenue, McGregor Avenue onto Glencairn street and then to Ardrossan. Turned back at the far side along south beach, the Braes along the prom through the quarry, Dubbs road and back hame to Castlepark.
Brilliant weekend for cycling flat calm and although there was a little rain on Friday it was really enjoyable.
36 miles each day.