Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

That's a good innings bonzo, especially after a hard days graft.. That was something i enjoyed working as a postman for many years earning money and keeping fit at the same time. I don't know if its a Figment or not do cycles perform better in wet conditions?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Don't know about a hard day's graft, I was there :lol:. I don't think bikes would perform better in the wet, I think it would be down to your tyres and your bottle :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Dunno about the wet, but mine runs much better when I’ve got a tailwind.....
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Tailwinds you've got to love them :cool
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I feel like a right daftie now ... Just to let you guys know //funny
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was watching Outlander last night and they were leaving for America from Ayr harbour (they filmed it at Dunure harbour) so the decision was made a wee run down to Dunure.
Another lovely morning for a cycle, so still sticking to the roads and off the cycle paths.
Out of Irvine along Gailes road to Barrasie, Troon, Prestwick and into Ayr. Along the beach out past Craig Tara (Butlins in auld money) and down into Dunure.
Sat in front of the castle for a wee while before heading back. It's a fair old climb back out of Dunure but after that it's pretty all downhill back to Ayr.
From there I retraced my steps back hame. 51 miles this morning.
Last edited by bonzo on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That’s a nice run - Dunure’s one of those routes that I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Last time I was down that way I went as far as Butlins, then turned inland.

Just a wee short trip for me today - along to Portencross and back.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Back to South Ayrshire again today, same as last Saturday until I got to Ayr. When I got to Wellington square I continued out along the Old Racecourse rd and headed to Alloway past Burns Cottage and stopped for a drink at the Auld Kirk. I had a wee look in but there was nothing happening this morning :D
Back on the bike over the Doon and round onto Dunure road were I headed back to Ayr and pretty much followed my tyre tracks back hame. On the whole it was raining most of the time I was out but no wind so it doesn't bother so much. 43 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I headed to south ayrshire too!

Started off from Saltcoats, high rd then dubbs rd to Kilwinning. Drizzle when I left the house, but not too bad. Through irvine town centre and out over the “bus route bridge” to bourtreehill.

From there, Dreghorn, Drybridge, Dundonald and on towards Symington. Raining - I came into Drybridge thinking it wasnae very dry! I had planned to go on to Tarbolton, St Quivox, and Prestwick, but the rain was getting heavier, so I turned towards the coast at Symington, towards the airport and along the path to Troon.

At troon, the weather had brightened up, so into the town, treated myself to a coffee and a wee cake. Sat in the sun for 5 mins, then headed homewards through Irvine.

Coming back along Dubbs Rd, the heavens opened. Sheltered under a bridge for a few minutes, along with a few other cyclists, but it stopped a quickly as it came on.

55k today.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Are there still as many cyclists out and about these days or has the novelty started to wear off do you think? We’re out around 7 in the morning for a walk round Rozelle and we used to see 3 or 4 cyclists but they seem to have either gone back to work or got fed up.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It was quieter today, but I blame that on the rain.

Apparently lots of bike shops are “sold out” - the demand has been huge.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Must have just missed you Meg went past Rozelle the back of 8. A couple of times lately I've tried to count the cyclists I've passed, been up over 80 on both occasions. I think there will be a few bikes being sold on the cheap once this is all over.