Scotland Football Team.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scotland Football Team.

Post by John Donnelly »

Creamolafoam, lions and donkeys comes to mind. :(

Bonzo, spot on. But at the same time, there is virtually no decent competition in the Scottish Premier League.
On top of that, the income from gates and television are not earth-shattering. If and when the clubs get some decent talent, they are sold in short order to England or further afield, These clubs pay, to Scots standards, a great deal of money, and then train them further to expoit them for a couple of years to their own profit and then sell them on at really a great deal of money at anybody's standards.
Maybe we're just caught in a vicious spiral with no way out. :cry: :cry:

A 'getting very depressed' JD.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Probably wrong as usual. Maybe the passion has gone, and many are apathetic towards the national team. No doubt this has got to the players. I would not stoop so low and support the England or the ROI -as some have. :roll:

Never give up on your country.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

This is how it use to be.

And to think, the late great Davie Cooper accumulated the sum of 22 caps for Scotland & we have in our ranks today in Charlie Mulgrew a player with 39 caps. That should tell you all what’s wrong today, in Scottish football.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Yip, and there was another wee winger from udingston cannae mind his name....60s and 70s apparently he was better than his 23 caps.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

creamolafoam wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 pm Scotland under 21s knocked out at the semi final stage tonight in the Toulon tournament , losing to the auld enemy 3-1. But the lad that seems to be catching the eye over the last few months is young billy gilmour from stevenston , who is currently with the Chelsea academy. A lad destined for great things methinks.
Billy, From the ‘Three Towns’

The glamour of Cobham a far cry from Ardrossan, the small town on the North Ayrshire coast Gilmour originates from.
With a population of approximately 11,000, it was once a thriving shipbuilding town.

Its two beaches meant thousands of Glaswegians flocked there each summer during the Glasgow Fair until the 1960s.

Tourism is still alive today, although many head to Ardrossan as a gateway to the Isle of Arran.

But it is where Gilmour goes back at every opportunity... and where he’s more popular than Santa.
Jim Hughes, Gilmour’s headteacher at Stanley Primary School - where Billy starred for the football team for an unprecedented four years - told SunSport: “He just pops in. There's no need to make an appointment, he's welcome anytime.

“He does a lot of things for local boys clubs, presenting trophies, getting a signed strip. He feels at home here.

“Billy was here in late June. He popped in with his mum and collected his cousins.”

Like Bayern Munich’s Liam Morrison, the youngster attended Grange Academy in Kilmarnock, one of the Scottish FA’s seven performance schools aimed to raise up future Scotland internationals.

With two weeks off during the summer, Gilmour opted not to go on holiday, letting his hair down and sunning himself up - instead he trained. Hard.

James Grady - who made more than 400 senior appearances in Scotland - was his SFA coach at Grange and insists no younger player has a better work ethic.

He said: “He comes in every time he's up. He'll text and ask if he can come in. I always say, 'Of course.' But it's a question, not a big 'I'm coming in.'

“He wears his old performance kit. He could very easily come in wearing his Chelsea kit but he doesn't. He comes in, trains with the boys at his tempo.

“The drive and desire to be the best, I've never seen in any young kid in 28 years.

“People may laugh but it won’t be for the want of trying that Billy will not become the best player in the world.”
Gilmour is desperate to succeed in everything, not just football.

The one-time Burberry model broke the school’s high-jump record for his age - Gilmour stands at 5ft 6ins at 18 - and decided to challenge himself by taking exams in Mandarin rather than the conventional French or Spanish.

Science teacher Michaela Hagan experienced his desire to win first hand.

She said: “They were just so competitive. The first experiment they did was boiling a beaker of water which is not exciting. They were claiming theirs was boiling faster.

“His practicals were hilarious to watch. Everything excited him in science.”

Gilmour’s parents Billy Sr and Carrie were naturally incredibly proud to see their son step out at the Bridge, following in the footsteps of his hero Cesc Fabregas, in front of a crowd almost four times the size of Ardrossan.

Dad was frequently away serving in the Royal Navy during Billy Jr’s early childhood, meaning Carrie, a teacher, would often take their son to his first club, Tass Athletic.
The Gilmours are a tight and supportive family, with Billy the “biggest fan” of younger brother Harvey, on the books with Kilmarnock and following his sibling through the SFA programme.

A picture of his loved ones is on Gilmour’s shin pads, meaning they are always close, even when Chelsea’s home is 434 miles from the family’s.

Mr Hughes, himself an ex-footballer, added: “Academically Billy was fairly bright. Literacy and numeracy he was good.

“Anytime there were visitors, you could always rely on him to show them around. He enjoyed coming here.

“He was a model pupil. It was clear he came from a good family background because he had good manners, he was respectful.”
But together with English teacher Katie Bolton, Gilmour’s parents almost prevented him fulfilling his dream.

Ms Bolton explained: “I nearly put an end to his football career before it even started. He hadn't handed in a piece of work and at parents’ night I told them. He worked hard but was missing deadlines with football. He needed to catch up.

“His dad said, 'Right that's it. No football this week.' They were really strict with that. But can you imagine if he actually stopped going to football because of me? Sorry Billy! Thankfully he caught up!”

Gilmour is constantly determined to give himself every chance of making it. After all, few who grow up in the ‘Three Towns’ of Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston leave the area.

Mr Hughes said: “It is quite a deprived area in terms of socio-economic factors so to have somebody like Billy as an inspiration for people to look up to is fantastic.”
Speaking of inspirations, whenever Gilmour heads back to school, students are amazed.

His PE teacher and Grange team manager Charlie Adams, who played for Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle, knows this all too well.

He explained: “Harvey’s in my team this year. We got beaten badly in the Scottish Cup final. The boys were devastated.

“Billy came in and said, 'Guys, when I was at the Grange, we got beaten. It's how you react to it.' That says a lot about him. Then the boys were more interested in selfies with Billy afterwards!

“He was at the Christmas Fair. The big news that he went from Rangers to Chelsea was out. There was a Santa there but there was a bigger queue to meet Billy! Who cares about Santa? There's Billy!”
Any chance of letting his success get to his head is out the question, though.

Mr Grady reckons Gilmour will be the first to admit: I’ve achieved nothing yet.

Pat Breen is chairman of non-league side Ardrossan Winton Rovers and has known Gilmour since the age of ten.

Billy Sr played in their midfield and his son would soon join in training, holding his own against men. That might explain why he is a rare Chelsea prodigy not to be dumped on the loan conveyor belt.

Breen explained: “Billy Sr's an accomplished tradesman, a gas fitter. Wee Billy had a good upbringing, he's never forgotten his roots.

“At 11, he kicked the ball like he was 19. Then he made the big move.

“Billy came down to watch one of our Friday night fixtures, everyone was wanting to chat to him and ask about Chelsea.

“But he's more interested in how things are here, wanting to know how Rovers are doing, looking at our new supporters club.”

One story stands out above the rest, though - when Gilmour helped the science department with their workshop day for primary schools.
Senior pupils were asked to assist and Gilmour spent the day at the potions-making station… dressed up as Hermione Granger.

Quick as a flash, Mr Grady quipped: “That’s because he’s magic!”

Wee Billy Gilmour. A delicate wizard on the pitch and a dedicated workman off it.

The Sun. 25/9/19.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

National team grubbed again, this time 4-0 from Russia. That makes it two 4-0 & two 3-0 defeats in this group already & sit second bottom on a goal difference of -12, that’s 39 goals worse off than Belgium who top the group, 30 worse off than Russia, 18 worse off than Cyprus & 14 worse off than Kazakhstan.
And first time we have lost four matches in a row for over 25yrs. The team are the worst I’ve ever seen & the manager is miles out his depth.
And to think there were some on here that said he was the right fit for the job :shock:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

creamolafoam- I have just watched the highlights today as i have been away. The first 2 goals no team could have stopped-Russia are a top class team only lost out to Croatia in last years World cup- Quarter-finals to penalties. Thanks to the Nations league, Scotland still have a chance to qualify through the back door...

I cant see how he was out his depth - Having managed in the English Premier League, probably the best in the World.
Finally, who would you install as manager ?
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

brian f wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:47 pm creamolafoam- I have just watched the highlights today as i have been away. The first 2 goals no team could have stopped-Russia are a top class team only lost out to Croatia in last years World cup- Quarter-finals to penalties. Thanks to the Nations league, Scotland still have a chance to qualify through the back door...

I cant see how he was out his depth - Having managed in the English Premier League, probably the best in the World.
Finally, who would you install as manager ?
Russia: Nowhere near world class. 42nd ranked, Wales, N.Ireland, Iran & Morocco higher.
Nations league: Thanks to Alex Mcleish & his team for getting a 2nd attempt to qualify
Out of his depth: Pepe Mel, Rene Meulensteen & Graham Potter have managed in the “best league in the world”
Next Manager: A turnip
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

creamolafoam- Thanks for your reply. I did not claim Russia are World class.
I know your hero is helicopter McLeish.
Pepe Mel, Rene Meulensteen & Graham Potter have managed in the “best league in the world” So do Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino who could take any job in the world they want.
If Steve Clarke -Had a blue nose you would be all over him :P
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

brian f wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am creamolafoam- Thanks for your reply. I did not claim Russia are World class.
I know your hero is helicopter McLeish.
Pepe Mel, Rene Meulensteen & Graham Potter have managed in the “best league in the world” So do Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino who could take any job in the world they want.
If Steve Clarke -Had a blue nose you would be all over him :P
You have misinterpreted me. You can’t honestly say Clarke was ever the right man for the Scotland job surely? He got it on the basis that he achieved third position with Kilmarnock who play on a plastic pitch every other wk. And that was it. He did manage in the epl, for an 18 month spell with wba a few yrs ago, then got hunted. I threw in other less names that have managed at that level. That doesn’t mean to say they are top managers, in fact far from it. He Should be sacked or do the honourable thing & resign.
As far as the national team itself, they have went backward in a relatively short time under Clarke & he knows it. And don’t tell me the players aren’t good enough. Northern Ireland & Wales are playing good football & getting results under men that know what they are doing.
I said at the time Gordon Strachan was the right fit for the job. Played some decent football at times, but ultimately failed, & on more than one occasion as well.
The Alex mcLeish appointment lacked imagination & wasn’t well received. He was quickly removed after a poor run of results and rightly so, but in between that run, he did manage to get that nations lge play off spot.
Through all this debacle it’s ultimately the sfa that should be brought to task. Doesn’t seem to anybody there that is forward or come up with some idea on how to get this team back
playing good football under a manager who can actually manage!
Finally, I wouldn’t be anywhere near Clarke if he was a bluenose, or not for that matter. The guy seems to have a big red nose mind
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

In days of yore did Clarke steal your pocket money/play piece/burd ? As you definitely seem to have it in for him. I couldn't give 2 shades of sky blue pink what school you/he went to. I still think he will give us a Scotland team to hope over.
Strachan had 2 campaigns and made us a much more attacking team but made some very strange managerial decisions at crucial times, if your auntie was your uncle...blah blah blah.
Those wimin were in the nip.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:57 am In days of yore did Clarke steal your pocket money/play piece/burd ? As you definitely seem to have it in for him. I couldn't give 2 shades of sky blue pink what school you/he went to. I still think he will give us a Scotland team to hope over.
Strachan had 2 campaigns and made us a much more attacking team but made some very strange managerial decisions at crucial times, if your auntie was your uncle...blah blah blah.
Who said I had it in for him? Who mentioned anything about schools? Yourself & Brian seem to think that because I’m a gers fan that I have some sort of agenda against Stevie Clarke, when in real terms the guy has had a shocker from day one & nobody can deny that.
I think the tartan army ( of which you are one of) will give him his answer tonight when Scotland take to the field against San Marino.
If you think he will give us a team to hope for, as you put it, you are most certainly in the minority.