What are you reading now?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by meekan »

Half way through "Out of Bounds" written by Scottish writer Val McDermid

The story is about cold case murders. a wee bit like Harry Bosch only a lady detective and is set in Edinburgh.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I LOVE Val McDermid - her books are sooooo readable and fantastic page turners. Haven’t read this one, will put it on the list.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 pm I’ve just finished the Lewis trilogy - the blackhouse, The Lewis man and the chessmen by Peter May. Can really recommend...
A few others have recommended this - I too have really enjoyed reading the Blackhouse. Now getting into the Chessmen.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

City of Gangs: Glasgow and the Rise of the British Gangster
by Andrew Davies

I'm four chapters in, not the usual type of stuff, starts from about 1830
I bought another five kindle books at the time 3 or 4 months ago, but never started them yet
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just started to get into a book by Robert Crais. About a private investigator by the name of Elvis in LA - think it might be his first book but it's held my interest so far. It's called 'The Monkey's Raincoat.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Enjoying Robert Crais's work, much like the Michael Connolly books about detective Bosch - both LA based. I've started at the earliest publication. So I believe I should have a few good reads ahead of me. :)
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I bought a book called Ice Free, ......I read the first chapter and maybe read a few more today.The content or subject matter are not really of much importance.
What was unusual and I have never seen it before, in the acknowledgements he names the fonts he uses and the designer of the fonts, he also says if someone thinks they have title to anything,pictures drawing etc, then contact him and credit them in the next print..........I thought that was a kind of hippy-ish and nonetheless right attitude
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Stepped back in time and read "The Big Sleep". Raymond Chandler's first novel to feature the detective Philip Marlowe. Although a bit dated it is still a good read. I remember seeing the movie all those years ago with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall - in real life Lauren Bacall became his widow at age 32.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:04 am Stepped back in time and read "The Big Sleep". Raymond Chandler's first novel to feature the detective Philip Marlowe. Although a bit dated it is still a good read. I remember seeing the movie all those years ago with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall - in real life Lauren Bacall became his widow at age 32.
Just watched that self same movie two weeks ago Hughie - love an old black and white movie on TV. I’m listening to the third book in the shetland series whilst I sew.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I'm reading a type of book I never ever thought I would buy; a retired politician's autobiography. Unspeakable, by John Bercow.
I can thoroughly recommend it. The way he disects the characters of his fellow MP's is mouthwatering.
JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Not so much reading as listening to Anne Cleeves Shetland books, and loving them whilst I’m pottering around in the garden. I’m on the fourth one and despite watching all the TV programs, the books are different enough to entertain. It’s hard to believe the author hadn’t visited Shetland before she started writing the stories. The guy reading the books has so many different accents it makes him very believable.

Would recommend.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Lockdown by Peter May.

Maybe not the best time to read a book about going into lockdown, but Peter May wrote the book a few years ago when we were under threat from H5N1 Avian flu - but because he chose London as the centre of the story the publishers decided not to print. He was speaking to his American publishers in January this year about his new book and they asked if he had anything ready to publish beforehand - and he gave them Lockdown - can’t put it down ...

(Incidentally he is the author of the Lewis trilogy and is Scots, the main character in the book is also Scots)