Celtic 1967

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Celtic 1967

Post by glenshena »

Quite by chance last night saw on BBC Scotland the hour long programme of Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967. The life stories of all the team mates. Stevie Chalmers in hospital with TB/Meningities never expected to recover, but going on to score the winning goal in the final. And Bobby Lennox, never knew that he had worked in the ICI boxing dept., which he said he really hated, while playing football part time for Ardeer. There were some shots of Saltcoats shore, and it was nice to see my cousin Kathryn and Bobby going into the Melbourne Cafe', and talking about Jock Stein. Then some shots of their June wedding, what a lovely day and what a crowd. I remember it well, being one of the bridesmaids. Thousands of fans travelling down to Lisbon just to see the match. It has probably been shown before but I would love to see it again.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Celtic 1967

Post by Penny Tray »

I saw it too and thoroughly enjoyed it. I laughed at Bobby Lennox's account of Jock Stein discouraging wives from attending games, telling the players that football was their work, and asking if they had ever seen a plumber's wife go to see him fitting a sink :lol:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Watched it as well, some of the recounts of the travel to Lisbon was funny only 50 odd years ago but the world was a much bigger place then.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Posted this some years ago when we were an emailing group:
I so wanted to introduce myself to him when he arrived at Melbourne Airport with Celtic in the 1970s where I worked. I remember it as if it were yesterday but I had to ignore him even though I actually stood alongside him in the Customs Hall
But Celtic's bags were coming up on a different carousel and I was in plain clothes for the day and was part of a team watching a target from another flight on the next carousel.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Thanks for posting this glenshena.You must have been quite chuffed watching. Even as a Rangers supporter, i found myself a wee bit choked. A brilliant documentary. :D

And when i have a wee drink tonight. Glasgow belongs to me :smt030
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

glenshena wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 am Quite by chance last night saw on BBC Scotland the hour long programme of Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967. The life stories of all the team mates. Stevie Chalmers in hospital with TB/Meningities never expected to recover, but going on to score the winning goal in the final. And Bobby Lennox, never knew that he had worked in the ICI boxing dept., which he said he really hated, while playing football part time for Ardeer. There were some shots of Saltcoats shore, and it was nice to see my cousin Kathryn and Bobby going into the Melbourne Cafe', and talking about Jock Stein. Then some shots of their June wedding, what a lovely day and what a crowd. I remember it well, being one of the bridesmaids. Thousands of fans travelling down to Lisbon just to see the match. It has probably been shown before but I would love to see it again.

For JD